Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have disappointingly just discovered that when using the 'Hold' function the brakes lights remain lit. I have been using it in stop start traffic thinking I was preventing blinding the driver behind!

In addition to people of any age with a visual impairment even for those without a recognised impairment it becomes fairly common as you get older.  Probably not helped by modern lights being brighter and bigger (compare a Morris Minor', VW Beetle, 2CV's front and back lights to say a Volvo!  It's a while since I did my IAM but I'm virtually certain that they teach you to use the handbrake when stopped at lights or any junction where you may be delayed and part of the reason is to avoid blinding the person behind.

After typing the above I've just looked at the RNIB link and I'm almost word perfect.  That's probably a good thing as I regularly carry out accessibility audits!

• Like 1

I've always tended to keep my foot on the brake pedal when last in a queue and then apply the handbrake when someone pulls up behind. Here's a couple of interesting threads:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=103354

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8248

These are two interesting threads, in particular the suggestion that sitting with a foot on the brake could warp the discs, presumably because part of the disc is not cooling at the same rate. Is there any evidence of this?

Personally I prefer to put it into Neutral once a car has pulled up behind me but my wife keeps telling me that that is going to damage the gearbox. is she right? Should we be putting it in Park?

What should we do in this situation?

Leave the autobox in D when stopped at lights etc.. Shifting back and forth between D and P will add extra wear to the select mechanism. All handbooks I've read always advise leaving in D unless stopped for a long period. Shifting to N in a hybrid is not recommended as the system cannot recharge the traction Battery.

59 minutes ago, Mike Hartland said:

These are two interesting threads, in particular the suggestion that sitting with a foot on the brake could warp the discs, presumably because part of the disc is not cooling at the same rate. Is there any evidence of this?

Apparently the Hold function keeps the brakes applied so I guess they're designed to withstand warping to a certain extent. However, if the Hold function is being used for morer than a few minutes it automatically disengages and applies the handbrake.

51 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Leave the autobox in D when stopped at lights etc.. Shifting back and forth between D and P will add extra wear to the select mechanism. All handbooks I've read always advise leaving in D unless stopped for a long period. Shifting to N in a hybrid is not recommended as the system cannot recharge the traction battery.

I recall reading that in the manual. It says to keep it in D. It says this: 

Hybrid Battery (traction battery) charge

If the shift lever is in N, the hybrid Battery (traction battery) will not be charged even when the engine is running. Therefore, if the vehicle is left with the shift lever in N for a long period of time, the hybrid Battery (traction battery) will discharge, and this may result in the vehicle not being able to start.