Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin pilot sport 4

Athey

Just had a full set of these fitted, £392 fitted and balanced. Even though they are new, they stick like glue to the road. I'll give a report on them after a couple of thousand miles. Does anyone else have any on their is250? and how do you rate them?

• Like 1

Not on my RC but always on my CLS55, excellent grip, dry or wet. The Michelin PS just don't have a 'cliff' grip all the way down 3mm, possibly beyond but I always change at 3mm..

This is interesting, I to used to work for Michelin on performance/winter tyre development as a test driver and I concur with him.

But not if the tyres are Winter tyres as the dynamics of operation are different.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2016-10/qa-replacing-tyres-at-3mm-tread-an-absolute-waste-says-michelin-director/

Big Rat

The CLS came with Pirelli Zeros and they were, erm, interesting in the wet. I had to change them when only at 4mm. 

The Michelins would grip whatever the conditions (frost excepted, no grip.. another story. I fully endorse the use of winter/cold weather tyres) I ran one set down to the legal min without drama, no sudden change in character but... if "pushing on" there was a drop in ultimate traction. 

Wintertyres need to be changed at 4 mm profile minimum as below that there is no grip to plough through the snow. Normal summertyres can stay on till 1.5/1.6 mm no problem. I never measure the depth but change on a visual.If they start to look worn then i change them never play with safety!

Currently driving am IS300h Fsport on Yokohama Advan Sport 255/55/18. No issues with grip as the car does not have enough oomph to practice tailslides and the width of the tyres combined with a great chassis and an overactive tractioncontrol secures i never do one step out of line. So grip enough in dry or wet. I still dont like the tyres though as i find them too soft. Leave the car for 2 days and they sit in, are no longer round, they cup. It can take some 6 miles before the vibration coming from that disappears, very annoying the steering wheel evenmoves in my hands! When i change to wintertyres ( michelin) it is completely gone.   

• 1 month later...

I've used PS4s on my IS250 multiple times, I would never use another tyre again. I've got yokohamas on due to the PS4s being out of stock, however I'm considering switching back to PS4s before these ones are done. I've got them fitted to my Supra as well, best road car tyres available at the moment.