Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

boy racer won against me today !!!

And there was me thinking my Ls400 was invincible .............  just pipped to the post by a brand new 17 plate Audi S3  ........  0 - 62 in 5.3 secs and 155.3mph

BUT he sure was having a hairy moment straining every limb on his brand new car to compete with my near silent 22 year old beauty ........  and the noise the S3 made, straining to " get there " :whistling1:

Malc

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

And there was me thinking my Ls400 was invincible .............  just pipped to the post by a brand new 17 plate Audi S3  ........  0 - 62 in 5.3 secs and 155.3mph

BUT he sure was having a hairy moment straining every limb on his brand new car to compete with my near silent 22 year old beauty ........  and the noise the S3 made, straining to " get there " :whistling1:

Malc

@Malc Ha you wouldn't catch me misbehaving on a public road....,

well....... maybe a little 😂

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.f4abd6b41d2be84dbc0fa2261055177b.JPG

Big Rat

• Like 4

I suppose the reality of this is that there are now so very few Ls400s around that it would take any power crazy driver by total surprise to find him/her self competing against an old guy in an ancient behemoth  .....  and often being thrashed well and truly and left at the side of the road nursing their wounded pride ...........

BUT of course many modern cars are able to drive like crazy and were never designed for power in the hands of old guys who might want to drive sedately most of the time :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 1

I have never done the traffic light challenge but I did chase a Porsche along a dual carriageway and kept up with him - he was motoring - but I backed off when I realised I was in License losing territory. My excuse to Mr Plod would have been .........."I am training her to do 70 mph!"

• Like 2

I have to admit I have partaken in this a few times,

mostly when I'm approaching a set of lights that has 3 lanes with it running into 2 as you go through the lights.

The situations have been with a few cars on the inside lane, myself in the middle & someone approaching who doesn't want to sit behind a big old square barge so go to the outside lane. That's when the fun/shame starts ,

Plenty of room to clear the Ls4's throat

Pic reference [emoji16]

8b688d09552d310c3230839c2bd35171.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have to confess to making this a fairly regular habit!  I put it down to it being a big old car that other drivers don't understand.  I feel it's my duty as a road user to educate others, and I believe it's a lesson I've taught well.  I'd be interested to know how much of the horsepower has diminished in 16 years because it doesn't feel like much has gone.  

• Like 4

On 19/08/2017 at 7:53 PM, The-Acre said:

Unfortunately I have to confess to making this a fairly regular habit!  I put it down to it being a big old car that other drivers don't understand.  I feel it's my duty as a road user to educate others, and I believe it's a lesson I've taught well.  I'd be interested to know how much of the horsepower has diminished in 16 years because it doesn't feel like much has gone.  

It would be interesting to see how many BHP a LS with 200K miles on clock is actually delivering.  My guess is not too much reduction since car was new, so long as it has been looked after.  These engines are so lazy no need to thrash them so surely less wear compared to trying to squeeze 400BHP out of a 2 litre Ford ASBO motor.

Wonder how much the charge would be do get onto a rolling road for a measure?

3 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

It would be interesting to see how many BHP a LS with 200K miles on clock is actually delivering.  My guess is not too much reduction since car was new, so long as it has been looked after.  These engines are so lazy no need to thrash them so surely less wear compared to trying to squeeze 400BHP out of a 2 litre Ford ASBO motor.

I may make enquiries on that.

37 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

There's a place near Stroud, by the canal, that does it. I recall seeing the sign.....

If you can get a few local owners who are interested for brownie points there would probably be a price reduction for a group booking

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that the Lexus did so well as a good LS400 mk4 will do at best a 15.1 at the drag strip 1/4 mile, whilst most S3's are doing anywhere between low 13's to low 12's depending on tune (some well tweaked ones doing high 11's). This 2 - 3 second difference over the quarter equates to quite a few car lengths at the end.

Well done for holding the Lexus end up though. I'll see if I can find the times from a race I had with an LS400 at Crail with my Morris Minor. 

Pete

12 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I think the last dyno run cost £55.00......128k miles, no power loss from the 3UZ, only moderate gains so far.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:07 PM, steve2006 said:

I was once beaten off the line at traffic lights by an SC430 but being another Lexus I didn't mind :biggrin:

Not guilty :whistling1: 

• Like 1