Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am currently driving a IS300h FSport white for 2 years, thinking of moving to a true F badge life with the ISF. One thing getting my mind behind is that as I am a daily driver, will it be not worth to get a ISF due to its maintenance cost and fuel ? Any idea to it? Please give me some advice. Thanks :)

• Like 1

I guess it depends on your mileage and and budget. For me I'd be working on fuel roughly costing double what you spend now. Other running costs will be higher but not sure how much,  RFL obviously a  lot more too. Depreciation on the other hand should be a lot less. You pays your money and you takes your choice. I have often thought it would be more sensible to run a 300h but when you hear the growl from the big V8 the thought quickly disappears!

• Like 3

As Nick has said, it will be more expensive to run an isf as a daily driver. Depends how much you want it really. The other option is to run a cheap car for your daily commute. I go to work in a 2007 1.4 Ford Fiesta, very slow, but very cheap to run. I don't have to take anybody out in it for work so it doesn't matter. Makes the drive in the isf all the more special to me.

if running an isf won't tie you up financially I'd certainly recommend it.

matt

• Like 1

No question it will be more expensive, but how much more will depend on the length and type of your daily commute. When I got my ISF, I used it for a daily round trip of about 45miles, with a mixture of motorway, A roads and queues. It averaged out at about 26 mpg against 35 for my previous 250. If your commute has heavy traffic you will get much less , probably around 16-17.A colleague of mine thought I ought to get a cheap small car for the commute and keep the F for weekends, but what's the point? You're still stuck with the cost of the car and the car tax/insurance for the banger. This adds up to several hundred pounds a year  , which could go to meeting the extra cost of car tax, insurance and fuel for the F, and you're not getting to drive the F which still has to be taxed, insured and serviced regardless of whether you use it or not.

If the man maths can be made to work out, I'd go for the F and drive it every day. These cars need to be used, they can take high miles and they don't go wrong that much. Personally, I would look for a car with full Lexus service history and get it covered by a Lexus warranty for piece of mind. As I said ,they don't go wrong much, but when they do the bill is huge as it will be for your 300h if it goes wrong out of warranty.

By the way, if negotiating to buy an F, get the cost to change  agreed before you drive it. If you don't you'll lose any leverage over price.

Good luck.

Graham

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

No question it will be more expensive, but how much more will depend on the length and type of your daily commute. When I got my ISF, I used it for a daily round trip of about 45miles, with a mixture of motorway, A roads and queues. It averaged out at about 26 mpg against 35 for my previous 250. If your commute has heavy traffic you will get much less , probably around 16-17.A colleague of mine thought I ought to get a cheap small car for the commute and keep the F for weekends, but what's the point? You're still stuck with the cost of the car and the car tax/insurance for the banger. This adds up to several hundred pounds a year  , which could go to meeting the extra cost of car tax, insurance and fuel for the F, and you're not getting to drive the F which still has to be taxed, insured and serviced regardless of whether you use it or not.

If the man maths can be made to work out, I'd go for the F and drive it every day. These cars need to be used, they can take high miles and they don't go wrong that much. Personally, I would look for a car with full Lexus service history and get it covered by a Lexus warranty for piece of mind. As I said ,they don't go wrong much, but when they do the bill is huge as it will be for your 300h if it goes wrong out of warranty.

By the way, if negotiating to buy an F, get the cost to change  agreed before you drive it. If you don't you'll lose any leverage over price.

Good luck.

Graham

@08ISF Graham could not have put it better myself.

Big Rat

• Like 2

every day you don't use the ISF you will regret .............  the " other " car is just that ..........  not worth buying, depreciation, tax, insurance servicing etc ...........just another ordinary car that you will think you're obliged to use........... but WHY ?

Malc

• Like 3

Thanks for all your advice. I drove an IS250 2005 before with its V6 power, been enjoying it, having fun until a drunk driver crashed on mine and being written off two years ago, that'w why I now got an IS300h fsport after the crash. It was a big change from a manual to a auto CVT, felt bored but bargain to its fuel efficiency and silence. Once in sport mode, it could give a feeling of sporty and aggressive, plus the active sound system brings you the engine sound but just for fun as no one can hear that. After 2 years of peaceful driving, I want to get back to some beast feels. The IS300h fsport exterior can catch eyes from people around but it's a hybrid and it can't do anything. These few weeks, I have been searching online and thinking of between a Honda civic fk2 type-r or a Lexus ISF. Turns out getting an ISF will be a better option with its price tag on autotrader and its big engine to be. Daily driving in my previous IS250, I used to spend a full tank for a week or few more days extra. How about the F ? Will it be similar to the IS250 that could use a full tank for a week or some extra days ? Or it could just spend the whole tank in few days like an Audi TT ? Will it be an issue getting an ISF with more than 80k mileage ?

Yes Malc makes a good point, with my last ISF I ran my LS400 alongside it and much as that is a very nice car (obviously very different from the ISF), it just seemed a bit daft to run two cars so this time around when I got my 2nd ISF I took the LS400 off the road as the ISF does everything and feels so special I did not want to dilute it with the option of another car to use, plus there are the financials too. As Matt says, conversely there are benefits to having a 'daily' and I might regret my decision come winter although the LS400 is stored up with its winter tyres still on so if things get bad weather wise, I will put it back on the road. I think the other thing about the second car is that for me ideally it would be something small and using an LS400 as a second car does probably not make a load of sense, that said, at the moment I still do not want to part with it. My last ISF had over 120k on the clock and was still fresh, as others have said don't worry too much about mileage. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

If the F could be up to daily driving, how many days around it will go off from full ? Actually, how's the pros and cons owning an ISF ? If I gonna get one, what I have to be careful on when checking the car in a test drive ? I looked up and some people said the waterpump was an issue to 2008 model, how I can know if the car has the waterpump issue ? Sorry to bother you all, and thanks for all your help :)

@joachim_tang Joachim do not worry unduly about water pumps they do not fail, in fact there is no recorded issues of failure they simply weep. The earlier cars 2008-2009 had this issue and by now mostly will have been replaced with an updated one which eradicated the issue.

Most if not all cars have a pink coloured coolant so if it looks a little low or there is staining around the pump or the under trays it needs replacing. If the car is under Lexus warranty it's covered, if you buy a car and it needs doing without warranty it's about £350.00 parts and labour.

Dont let it be a deal breaker though.

IMG_0498.JPG.d1a1a7c4754bc210718a8a6e9a9c2c06.JPG

Here is a picture of a weeping pump, it's situated at the front of the engine and low down, mine was replaced under warranty without question after 4 months of ownership.

Hope this helps.

Big Rat

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big Rat said:

@joachim_tang Joachim do not worry unduly about water pumps they do not fail, in fact there is no recorded issues of failure they simply weep. The earlier cars 2008-2009 had this issue and by now mostly will have been replaced with an updated one which eradicated the issue.

Most if not all cars have a pink coloured coolant so if it looks a little low or there is staining around the pump or the under trays it needs replacing. If the car is under Lexus warranty it's covered, if you buy a car and it needs doing without warranty it's about £350.00 parts and labour.

Dont let it be a deal breaker though.

IMG_0498.JPG.d1a1a7c4754bc210718a8a6e9a9c2c06.JPG

Here is a picture of a weeping pump, it's situated at the front of the engine and low down, mine was replaced under warranty without question after 4 months of ownership.

Hope this helps.

Big Rat

Thanks @Big Rat :) My budget getting an ISF will be within £20,000, probably around £18k. Would it be fair getting one with around 80k-90k miles 2008 ISF in this price range ? Also, I want to know more about how thirsty to this beast if I do it in daily drive. Would it be similar to an IS250 with its V6 ? Thanks for helping me to answer my questions in my mind.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

every day you don't use the ISF you will regret .............  the " other " car is just that ..........  not worth buying, depreciation, tax, insurance servicing etc ...........just another ordinary car that you will think you're obliged to use........... but WHY ?

Malc

See what your saying, but in my situation the regret would come from using a 5ltr v8 to sit in traffic jams on my way in and home from work, plus having kittens about parking it at work. All my miles will be pleasure miles so I don't have to be concerned about fuel returns, just finding clear roads to stretch its legs.

• Like 4

@joachim_tang Joachim broadly in but a little over the top end of your budget is a Black isF a members car on here for sale and it is up with the very best, have a look in the for sale section on the site and this will give you an idea what the best will get you for  your money.

As regards fuel consumption for its size and power an isF is a relatively economical car on a run I've seen 33mpg, most of the time it will average the low to mid 20's. I've never owned the V6, but would suggest that you do need to factor into the equation the feeling of having a car that really is something quite special and simply be prepared for that added enjoyment that a V8 gives.

Big Rat

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@joachim_tang Joachim broadly in but a little over the top end of your budget is a Black isF a members car on here for sale and it is up with the very best, have a look in the for sale section on the site and this will give you an idea what the best will get you for  your money.

As regards fuel consumption for its size and power an isF is a relatively economical car on a run I've seen 33mpg, most of the time it will average the low to mid 20's. I've never owned the V6, but would suggest that you do need to factor into the equation the feeling of having a car that really is something quite special and simply be prepared for that added enjoyment that a V8 gives.

Big Rat

@Big Rat I saw two black ISFs from Lexus Bristol and Lexus Birmingham on autotrader and also a silver one, do they look nice quality and fair price with its mileage and condition? I keep thinking in my mind considering on its mileage, is it I don't have to care about the mileage as it is not an issue to ISF? Also, still struggling on between a silver or a black to be considered. What pros and cons for the ISF ? Anything I need to consider before getting one of it ? Thanks for helping me ;)

@joachim_tang Joachim you need to make your mind up about colour first and the stick to, but you must remember there are only a little over 200 of these cars in the country, with perhaps a 8-10 for sale at anyone time.

I would recommend always buy on condition and service history, these cars take mileage well and if resale is not an issue for you then consider a higher mileage car.

I do not know the Birmingham car the Bristol I do know, it's in very good condition and was owned by a member on here until recently, it has a custom exhaust fitted to it.

Big Rat

• Like 1

I don't use mine as a daily, as Matt does I run a second car, Honda Civic, I have good reasons, I don't want the ISF on construction sites I visit from time to time and I want to keep the cars mileage low, however it does have its upside, whenever I use it at weekends it always feels special.

However you do it, if you really want one, get one, for your own reasons, you will not regret it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@08ISF Graham could not have put it better myself.

Big Rat

Ummmm........Ratty - your daily is not the F - not that I'm squaring up for a fight (with an x boxer - gone property tycoon).

4 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@joachim_tang Joachim you need to make your mind up about colour first and the stick to, but you must remember there are only a little over 200 of these cars in the country, with perhaps a 8-10 for sale at anyone time.

I would recommend always buy on condition and service history, these cars take mileage well and if resale is not an issue for you then consider a higher mileage car.

I do not know the Birmingham car the Bristol I do know, it's in very good condition and was owned by a member on here until recently, it has a custom exhaust fitted to it.

Big Rat

Intersting that a Lexus dealer is selling on a non stock car. When buying from a Lexus dealer, I'd like to think that I am buying in the knowledge that the dealership were only selling stock examples.

5 hours ago, Mattmech said:

See what your saying, but in my situation the regret would come from using a 5ltr v8 to sit in traffic jams on my way in and home from work, plus having kittens about parking it at work. All my miles will be pleasure miles so I don't have to be concerned about fuel returns, just finding clear roads to stretch its legs.

EXACTLY my  view.

I quite like having a snotter and parking wherever I want in the knowledge that I simply don't care about bumps, dents, scratches etc. Of course there is the downside of two lots of tax, mot, insurance etc

5 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Big Rat

@Big Rat I think I gonna take one in Black or silver, as other colours seem to be expensive and out of my budget. Searching for one with full of Lexus service history and with good condition that will be aim in these few weeks on search. After all your advice, its mileage is not a main concern on purchasing the ISF. :) Would it be better for getting full stock one for better performance and economical haha :D some on autotrader from the lexus dealers I have been looking on it, anyone knows if they are nice and in good condition and stock ??? Those in black I am mentioning... Thanks everyone ;) 

• Like 1

Just another question coming up in my mind, will it be difficult to drive an ISF due to its powerful engine changing from hybrid engine or a V6 ? I saw a video on YouTube mentioned that it skids sometime when put too much on gas pedal 😅

6 hours ago, Flytvr said:

EXACTLY my  view.

I quite like having a snotter and parking wherever I want in the knowledge that I simply don't care about bumps, dents, scratches etc. Of course there is the downside of two lots of tax, mot, insurance etc

That's how my man maths works, the Civic costs me around £300 a year to tax and insure, I was putting £50 per week in the ISF, I put £15 a week in the Civic, a cheap service once a year and I am quids in, plus I am keeping the mileage low on the ISF, works for me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, joachim_tang said:

Just another question coming up in my mind, will it be difficult to drive an ISF due to its powerful engine changing from hybrid engine or a V6 ? I saw a video on YouTube mentioned that it skids sometime when put too much on gas pedal 😅

The F is a very very easy performance car to drive. I've never tracked mine, but on the road its a very neutral drive. Of course, if you provoke it........

• Like 3

10 hours ago, joachim_tang said:

If you have a digital right foot from driving too many hot hatches then you will have trouble.

However if you have an analogue right foot and the ability to drive to the conditions then you will be fine. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Martin F said:

If you have a digital right foot from driving too many hot hatches then you will have trouble.

However if you have an analogue right foot and the ability to drive to the conditions then you will be fine. 

Digital right foot - I like that :)

I think @Mark G suffers from this!!!

• Like 3