Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

trickle charge

ben wedge

A visitor with an  2015 CT200  said his auto screen dim wasn't working and asked me to fix it

Followed book  instructions, went to 'screen adjustment' from where it should be a simple matter of switching 'day mode' on or off......except that there IS no 'day mode' shown, just 'screen off' and 'brightness/contrast adjust'. Any suggestions on that ?

Anyways, whilst doing this the screen switched off, hitting 'start' resulted in 'key not found' warning, followed by 'hold key to start button' followed by 'apply brake when not on level'

Now nothing works, and there is a clicking noise from under bonnet offside front

I suspect flat Battery. Is it safe to use a Battery charger - if so how

Thanks, he wants to go home now

The auto screen dim on my 2013 is controlled by the rotary dimmer knob - if it clicks at the end of its movement then the auto dim is turned off.

I'm not sure re Battery charging so I would disconnect it, charge and re-connect just to be safe

Thanks for the quick response

There is a 'brightness' control  below the dash to alter brightness which works, it does click off at the end of movement (which I didn't realise) but since nothing is working now I can't see what it does (switch dash illumination off altogether possibly?)

On my is 250 there is a daylight sensor which automatically dims dash and changes colour of satnav screen when it gets dark - KI assume that that was what he wanted and perhaps it is not fitted on his, hence the lack of 'daylight mode' on settings

Any ideas on the underbonnet ticking?

Battery is in the boot at the right side under the storage tray but here is a charging point under the bonnet. The owners manual has instructions.

Ticking sounds like a solenoid but not sure. It is easy to flatten the auxiliary Battery as it is smaller than an conventional car Battery

3 minutes ago, colin79666 said:

Battery is in the boot at the right side under the storage tray but here is a charging point under the bonnet. The owners manual has instructions. Do not jump start the car as you could fry the electronics. Ticking sounds like a solenoid but not sure. It is easy to flatten the auxiliary battery as it is smaller than an conventional car battery. 

Thanks Colin, yes, I'm a bit wary of jump starting from what I've read, but I can't find anything about trickle charging....and he doesn't have the owners manual, just the Nav System manual

It is fine to 'jump start' a hybrid and is a procedure described in the owners manual. Use the charging points in the engine bay rather than directly to the Battery.

The reason why it is safe on a hybrid, compared to some conventional vehicles, is that the amount of current needed to get the vehicle into 'Ready' is very small, just a few amps. You can even jump start of a small 12v Lithium Ion Battery pack if required, it doesn't have to be a big car Battery - the engine is never started using the 12v Battery.

1 hour ago, ben wedge said:

Thanks Colin, yes, I'm a bit wary of jump starting from what I've read, but I can't find anything about trickle charging....and he doesn't have the owners manual, just the Nav System manual

You can get a PDF copy on the Lexus website.

Copy of the relevant bits. Note the jump starting point is under the fuse box at the right of the engine bay.

Connect a positive jumper cable clamp to the exclusive jump starting
terminal on your vehicle.
Connect the clamp on the other end of the positive cable to the positive
(+) Battery terminal on the second vehicle.
Connect a negative cable clamp to the negative (-) Battery terminal on
the second vehicle.
Connect the clamp at the other end of the negative cable to a solid, stationary,
unpainted metallic point away from the exclusive jump starting
terminal and any moving parts.

Start the engine of the second vehicle. Increase the engine speed
slightly and maintain at that level for approximately 5 minutes to
recharge the 12-volt Battery of your vehicle.
Open and close any of the doors of your vehicle with the power switch
off.
Maintain the engine speed of the second vehicle and start the hybrid
system of your vehicle by turning the power switch to ON mode.
Make sure the “READY” indicator comes on. If the indicator light
does not come on, contact any authorized Lexus dealer or repairer, or
another duly qualified and equipped professional.
Once the hybrid system has started, remove the jumper cables in the
exact reverse order from which they were connected.
Close the exclusive jump starting terminal cover, and reinstall the fuse
box cover to its original position.

Note that the hybrid system starting does not necessarily start the engine. You don't need to keep the donor car running once the hybrid system is started (ready light on).

• Like 1

Thanks for that

Currently on charge using charging point as described

The underbonnet noise stopped after about half hour of charging, but still insufficient to put ready light on

Off to bed and see what's what in the morning