Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best polish?

Ala Larj

I've got a few swirl marks and fine scratches I want to remove. Have been doing a bit of research and it seems to be a minefield. Apparently Japanese cars have soft paint and you have to be careful with some polishes as they are too harsh and can damage the paint! What do you detailers recommend?

12 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Have used their wax products and like them but heard they're not good for soft paint!

I've always used Autoglym on all my lexus cars with no problems. I've tried many brands over the years but Autoglym comes up trumps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Have bought a book about detailing. Is this the slippery slope??

Haha, maybe...

If the scratches and defects are only minor then Autoglym SRP should be fine if you're applying by hand. It has barely any "cut" at all so it's extremely safe for soft paint. Use an applicator like THIS for best results.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Haha, maybe...

If the scratches and defects are only minor then Autoglym SRP should be fine if you're applying by hand. It has barely any "cut" at all so it's extremely safe for soft paint. Use an applicator like THIS for best results.

I usually use a microfiber cloth. Can see this detailing getting under my skin!

I have recently used the Turtle Wax Magic wax/polish and been impressed with the results.

Ok - its not an expensive based one but it certainly covered up a recent set of scratches obtained free of charge in a B&Q car park.

I usually use Meghaurs (excuse the spelling) for cleaning the car with good results. To add to the question from the OP - whats the general consensus of how long the car can go without a second coat of wax (how long does the first application last - in general?)

• Like 1

Maguire's, turtle wax, Autoglym? I knew this would open a can of worms! I've always liked Autoglym products for the final shine  and waxing for longevity but have never know what to use before that. In the olden days I used to use t cut but think it's a bit harsh for water based paints. I guess I'm a bit of a saddo as I tend to wash my car as soon as it gets dirty so worry I'm wearing the paint out! My next post will be about the interior! 

On 8/22/2017 at 0:28 PM, Ala Larj said:

Can I use any of the above for the chrome bits or do I need a different polish for that?

Metal polish for the chrome bits - autosol or similiar

Just make sure its actually chrome and not chrome effect plastic or you'll take the coating off

• Like 1