Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so thought I would start my first thread about tyres :)

I have Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on all four corners and have so far lasted 15,000 miles.  My back tyres now need changing with around 2.7mm thread left.  I was just wondering what other people's experiences of tyres on this car have been.  I have been contemplating replacing the backs with Michelin CrossClimates.  I have found the Primacy 3 tyres to be good, although the backs do tend to slip a bit in the wet.  

Currently running Avon ZZ5. So far so good - especially in the wet. Haven't had them long enough to tell you about their longevity though. One thing to make sure is that the geometry and suspension components are all ok as I've been told that makes quite a bit of difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a new set of shoes and the Lexus dealer have recommended Bridgestone but read some reviews which have put me off. The car came with Brimay's on them !!

I have the GS450h 2010 and was thinking Michelin Primary 3 as they have a fuel rating of C , wet A and 71 DB

I want them to be all rounders that last long, fuel efficient, comfortable with good grip and less road noise.

I recently changed my rears from michelin primacy 3 to goodyears f1.  The goodyears were on an offer price so decided to go with them.

The michelins are good and i still have them on the fronts. I think i will get 21,000 out of the fronts. I got 15,000 miles out of the rears. I do brisk driving and a lot of city commuting driving so I'm sure you can get more miles out of them depending on type of driving.

The Goodyears are very good so far, last couple of days rain gave me good grip and the sound level isn't bad. I have to say the braking distance is a bit better with the Goodyears.

Having done quite a bit of research i have found the Michelin Primacy 3, Goodyear F1 and Dunlop Sport Maxx are probably the best tyres for this car. After that i suppose it comes to which one can do the best price (p.s a lot of lexus dealers price match elsewhere for tyres so make sure you ask!)

Will they price match with online retailers too ie event tyres or tyre shopper or is it just kwik fit etc ?

The Primacy 3 appear to be run flat too not sure if they would be good on the GS450h

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, Digitalparadox said:

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so thought I would start my first thread about tyres :)

I have Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on all four corners and have so far lasted 15,000 miles.  My back tyres now need changing with around 2.7mm thread left.  I was just wondering what other people's experiences of tyres on this car have been.  I have been contemplating replacing the backs with Michelin CrossClimates.  I have found the Primacy 3 tyres to be good, although the backs do tend to slip a bit in the wet.  

I'm contemplating the Michelin CrossClimates too. Really good reviews and especially with winter on its way.

Currently still running the OEM Dunlops which came on the car and have a set of Dunlop winters for the colder months. Car has done 56k miles and still have 3.5mm on the summers. I've found the GS isn't very heavy on tyres. I guess my old MB E350CDI ate tyres due to all the torque bring at the lower end. 

Michelin Primacy 3 for a set of four fitted 245/40/18 93 Y at COSTCO for £511.50

I'll be calling the dealers tomorrow morning to see if they can match that :yahoo:

For those interested it's only on offer until 24th September...if your a costco member you get a further 5% off

I've just plumbed for another pair of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A XL 235/45R17 97W on mine (older GS300) 

I last bought a set in December 2015 for the rear. Done probabaly 20K on them, and I don't drive gently.

To be honest they are grippy as hell in the dry, wet isn't bad but i tend to behave a little more, getting out of junctions enthusiastically usually doesn't go as planned, but that might just be me.
Fuel, bah.
Noise, not bad. Cost...£96 ish a tyre, fitted.

I'm planning on fitting Marshall mu11. Far cheaper than the names mentioned, but I've been really I pressed given the price.

Tried them as was in a financial pinch, and wow, pretty good. Since then ive fitted to all our cars, 307, slk, s class, range rover, x5, alfa gt, and soon to be the gs.

Might not last as long, but had some in the high teens with plenty of life left when car sold etc. Good in dry, pretty reasonable in the wet, fairly quiet, and at half the price, I can change twice as often meaning the rubber is newer and less aged, meaning better performance across the board vs better older harder tyres. 

Also means I don't worry about lighting up the rears when giving it the beans.... joy!

Know lots won't try lower named tyres, I was one of them u til about 4 years ago, but I'm glad I did it now.

7 hours ago, Upex said:

I'm planning on fitting Marshall mu11. Far cheaper than the names mentioned, but I've been really I pressed given the price.

Tried them as was in a financial pinch, and wow, pretty good. Since then ive fitted to all our cars, 307, slk, s class, range rover, x5, alfa gt, and soon to be the gs.

Might not last as long, but had some in the high teens with plenty of life left when car sold etc. Good in dry, pretty reasonable in the wet, fairly quiet, and at half the price, I can change twice as often meaning the rubber is newer and less aged, meaning better performance across the board vs better older harder tyres. 

Also means I don't worry about lighting up the rears when giving it the beans.... joy!

Know lots won't try lower named tyres, I was one of them u til about 4 years ago, but I'm glad I did it now.

I'm with you as far as tyres go. There are some extremely good low priced tyres on the market that some are afraid to try because they may come from China. Tyres are now a global product, and even the most well known makes come from countries that a few years ago we would never have bought tyres from.

The tyres I have on free test "Three A" for 10,000 miles are are proving to be very good in all respects including the ware rate. This at the moment would seem to suggest they would last till at leased 25,000 miles. This on a tyre that costs a little over £50 for the 245/40/18 size. The only conditions I have not tried them in are snow because we have not had any since they were fitted. Would I buy a set when needed? Definitely. They are certainly better than the Yokahama's fitted to the car when purchased that are now in storage ready to be refitted at the end of the test.

A tyre that my friendly tyre shop is recommending "the shop that fitted the test tyres" is a tyre called "Landsail". They have slightly better label ratings than the Three A, and apparently last as long. 

John. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Car is back from repairs since some idiot went into the rear...time to look at the tyres again !!! What load rating does everyone go for...every tyre seller website suggest a different load 

I've got 2010 GS450h and they came fitted with 97 but Michelin recommend 93Y under their vehicle ??? BTW any thoughts on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as supposed to Primacy 3 as I  do floor it :))

Anything anyone ever writes about tyres is pretty subjective, but I just replaced the four budget tyres my GS450 was running on with four Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

My reasoning was I was uncomfortable driving something weighing two tonnes and with 340 bhp on cheap rubber. The car enthusiast/snob in me also thinks it looks better to see a quality car on quality tyres, but I am quite shallow in this respect. :)

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Andrew,
What make were the budget tyres?
How do you find the Michelins. Bit early for wear but how about grip and noise? Are they XL or normal?
John

The Michelins are XL. I’ve only had them on for a week so too early to say on wear, and they do seem quieter on rough tarmac, but to be scrupulously fair that could be because they have more tread.

The budget tyres were a Barum and a Nfera on the rear, and two Landsails on the front.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Just had the Pilot 4 fitted on all corners and I must say they are more noisier than the budget ones that have come off the car...have I made a big error ??? I shall find out tomorrow on my motorway commute and hope it's raining to reach a proper verdict :)

37 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Just had the Pilot 4 fitted on all corners and I must say they are more noisier than the budget ones that have come off the car...have I made a big error ???

Well, it's a UHP tyre so some noise should be expected, but this test would suggest you haven't made an error.

You will probably find they get quieter after you put some miles on them. I have Michelins on my IS and they were also extremely noisy when they were brand new, but they got quieter with use.

I've got to say going from budget to Premium makes a massive difference to how the car handles and performs in wet and dry. Absolutely minimal effort required when going through corners or bends

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I recently put Kuhmo's sporty tyres on a different car prior to a trip down to the Nurburgring and 4 days later before I was due to set off I had a screw embedded in the tyre! New tyre said the garage....but at no cost to me!

If you buy Kuhmo tyres from a registered dealer they come with a lifetime warranty now, any failure or accidental damage is covered and after a few years if they need replaced due to damage you'll only pay a percentage towards the new tyre!

I know which brand I'll be using for my other cars from now on!

Oh....and they handle lovely as well and inspire confidence in the wet [emoji4]