Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS300 headlamp question

tim1830

Hi guys,

hope this is nearly in the right place?

I wanted to get everyones advice if possible?

My headlamps seem very low on dipped, dangerously low if i'm honest.

I will check them against the wall tonight, just to see if they self level.

As i drove in the night Fri, they were terrible.

We happened to stop at a shop, where i got out and just bounced the front and rear of the car, and they seemed much better, and much higher.

I will get the local garage to check them out,but was wondering if there should have been a warning?

Apart from the obvious lack of vision lol

My car is a gs300 2007

12 hours ago, TigerFish said:

Has it got headlamp washers?

Is there a self level "check" lamp come on when you first switch the ignition on?

Hi Tiger,

yes to h/lamp wash, and no warning lights on. Seems to think it's ok?

maybe it's just very low?

I did try on the garage wall at home, and they don't seem to set.

When i tried our rx400h the lamps bob up and down and set.

If they are HID headlamps they should go through the "drop and rise to correct level" reset when switched on. If they are just halogen bulbs, they probably don't have self levelling. No idea if all gen 3 cars had HIDs. If not, then a manual adjust would be the only way, unless there is a thumb wheel height adjuster inside the car to adjust for trailer/passenger load (I've not had a gen 3 GS, only gen 1 and 2, the gen 2 had HIDs and they cycled through the height reset when switched on, and the warning light on the dash also self tested when ignition switched on).

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

18 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

If they are HID headlamps they should go through the "drop and rise to correct level" reset when switched on. If they are just halogen bulbs, they probably don't have self levelling. No idea if all gen 3 cars had HIDs. If not, then a manual adjust would be the only way, unless there is a thumb wheel height adjuster inside the car to adjust for trailer/passenger load (I've not had a gen 3 GS, only gen 1 and 2, the gen 2 had HIDs and they cycled through the height reset when switched on, and the warning light on the dash also self tested when ignition switched on).

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

thanks Tiger,

gonna book it in local garage, and see where beams point on MOT ramp, then they are going to check the level sensor on suspension to see if it's stuck.

looks like they are hid, and no thumb wheel in car to adjust. 

fingers crossed it's not to expensive 

• 2 weeks later...

just an update.

local indy garage can't do it, they are not 100% sure which sensor or motor or ecu is causing the fault, and their computer can't find any error codes.

instead of just guessing they suggested Lexus, and didn't charge me anything so that's ok i guess.

Lamps would fail an mot on height, but no warning lights to say motor not working.

Lets see what the dealer says? 

• 2 weeks later...

so booked into Lexus Cambridge tomorrow for a new os headlamp, apparently the motor has seized/burnt out? and you guessed it, not available by itself.

Lets hope this fixes the issue!

tried eBay for a 2nd hand lamp, but the only couple in the uk for sale were only just a little cheaper than a new one fitted so don't feel quite as bad

thanks bobmc,  all done

the part was actually very reasonable,  £350 for the double unit.

seems to be working, but will take it out tonight in the dark.

the worse thing?    one shiny headlamp and one dull lamp.

I did mention to the misses maybe i could change the other one, but i got the look!

just an update, and a question.

headlamps working great, both height adjust as you turn ignition on, and not pointing at the floor, so all good.

but

ns headlamp is very cloudy, and i've been looking at polishing it to see if i can get it looking a bit cleaner.

has anyone got any advice, or has anyone used the kits on eBay? with good results?

thanks

tim

Its been discussed before at various times

But you have to be courageous enough to make the problem much worse  :unsure: before it becomes better again :yahoo:

you also need to apply a UV clearcoat afterwards otherwise the cloudiness will return quite quickly.

Some detailers will do it for you, so that might be an option?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I personally used this one and worked out perfect, only you will need drill and bucket of water and some old spray bottle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Discoloured-Headlights/dp/B0078IHJ1K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1508770265&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=headlight+restoration+kit&psc=1

On 9/19/2017 at 1:17 PM, bobmc said:

But you have to be courageous enough to make the problem much worse  :unsure: before it becomes better again :yahoo:

You certainly do. I used the Autoglym kit on my last car and when you've done the first pass with the drill it's a little worrying to say the least. Brought the lenses up lovely though and prior to polishing they were virtually opaque.