Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Memeber / Advice on known IS220d Issues please?

DanATR

Hi,
My name is Dan and I am on the look out to buy a 2007 IS220d due to my last car which was a BMW 330D M Sport deciding to blow up on the M6 7 weeks ago while in the 50mph section. I Used to drive a Honda Accord Type-R before this and had it in Banzi Mag and Top gear (TV). I really look after my cars but at the same time I like the connection between us when driving with regard to handling.
What I would like to know if possible is are there any known major issues I should know about with 2006-2007 models of the IS220d. I don’t really fancy another engine or car blowing up on me when driving on the motor way. I’m the type of driver who likes to feel my car and be at one with it over comfort and fuel money. Is there any turbo lag?

If you feel like being connected to your car, then I don't think the 220d is for you.  The engine is nothing special and the gear change leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the 220d has its place, but I am just not getting the impression from your post that it is the car for you.

For example, you ask if there is turbo lag?  Well, the simple answer is:  Yes, lots.  Between idle and 1500-1700rpm pretty much nothing happens.  It will then give you quite a good surge in power before running out of puff around 3500rpm.

For the sort of driving I do - mainly A roads and motorway - that midrange grunt means it does very well, but I wouldn't want to own it around town.

Lastly, if you want reliability, get an automatic IS250.  Can't go too far wrong with that.

The IS220d and 200d were the only diesel Lexus models ever produced and ceased production many years ago never to return.

It appears to be a failed exercise into competing with the likes of the german manufacturers.

6 minutes ago, Miłosz said:

Guys it's a diesel it could be improved by good tuner ;) BTW steve you are wrong my friend

http://allegro.pl/nowy-lexus-lx-450d-4-5-diesel-automat-i6926834881.html

BTW2 i also prefer petrol but i have diesel now ;)

I stand corrected, I wasn't aware of the LX450, is this a V8 engine?

5 hours ago, peachy said:

Have a good read through the forum our kid and if that dosnt put you off then nothing will.

I really would love to but I need to have a car by saturday, as ill be driving up to wales and have no time to read, just view and buy >.<

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

If you feel like being connected to your car, then I don't think the 220d is for you.  The engine is nothing special and the gear change leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the 220d has its place, but I am just not getting the impression from your post that it is the car for you.

For example, you ask if there is turbo lag?  Well, the simple answer is:  Yes, lots.  Between idle and 1500-1700rpm pretty much nothing happens.  It will then give you quite a good surge in power before running out of puff around 3500rpm.

For the sort of driving I do - mainly A roads and motorway - that midrange grunt means it does very well, but I wouldn't want to own it around town.

Lastly, if you want reliability, get an automatic IS250.  Can't go too far wrong with that.

My 330d used to lag untill around 1.5-1.7k if I recall, then it kicked you up the back with 204hp. Basically im playing with the idea of this which im viewing this saturday: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lexus/is/lexus-is-220d-sport/7425916

or tihs...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708138300495?sort=sponsored&radius=60&zero-to-60=8_TO_12&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.2&postcode=bh107jg&price-to=3500&price-from=2000&transmission=Manual&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Diesel&make=FORD&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=MONDEO&page=1

I just dont want another money pit.... my 330 cost me £2500 then another 3k on top with work.... I want to buy it, service it two or once a year and thats it... no more track days, no more mods, I just want a fast A road or moterway car that handels like a track car but with the luxury of a lexus or bently lol. I have driven plenty of cars in my life but just not these... I tryed the Ford ST 155 the other day, and thats uttrer junk. Feels like you are driving a washing machine with a rocket attacked and my back was killing me after 10min of a test drive. I need a car thats nice to drive for 7 hours non stop. (ok inc pee brakes) and is nice of the wife and teanager. You guys all seem like a sound lot just like the Honda Accord Type-R guys, and I thought that the best place for advice would be here. (Unlike other forums ie, bmw, civic, ford forums where its just full of ideots.)

Well, while it looks nice enough, I would avoid the IS you posted based on its MOT history.  I can't remember the last time I saw a car fail its MOT so many times.  Granted it was mostly for small things, but it doesn't make it sound like a particularly well looked after car.

Can't really comment on the Mondeo since I don't know much about them.

Ok, so quickness and handling are not the primary focus of the IS, so if those are your primary criteria, then perhaps it is not the car for you.

However, if you want a car that you can drive for 7 hours comfortably, then it is certainly good at that.  For me, the interior is just a very nice place to be and it makes the motorway journeys I have to make much more pleasant.

• Like 1

Dan, please read as much as you can about the 220d on this forum. 

My honest and well-intended advice would be to look elsewhere. I had a 220d and now have the 250 Auto ... it's lightyears ahead on so many levels.

My 250 returns an mpg very similar to what most people get from their 220's. 

• Like 1

Lexus is250 buy and drive. Very good car, beautifull sound ! Lexus is220d buy, repair all mistakes and drive. If you want to drive factory lexus is220d its not good choice. I spent many hours durning improved my diesel, i replaced many sensors , deleted dpf , egr, made a remap. Diesel consumtion in city driving , short distance is about 7,6 litres , highway 90-130km/h about 6,2 on 18 inch wheels. BTW i think you had e46 with m57n engine, its very good engine, after some mods results are awesome 402 hp and almost 780 Nm. If you want diesel maybe 335d ;)

Well today I viewed a Ford Mondeo TDCI Titanium x..... not for me.

So, tomorrow I will be getting, i mean viewing a Lexus is220d which is actually perfect for me in every way.... cant wait to see it.

43 minutes ago, DanATR said:

Well today I viewed a Ford Mondeo TDCI Titanium x..... not for me.

So, tomorrow I will be getting, i mean viewing a Lexus is220d which is actually perfect for me in every way.... cant wait to see it.

And the very best of luck to you and i strongly advise you to take out the best roadside assistance available. 

I purchased this one here.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/lexus-is220d-2.2d-170bhp-88k-full-s-h-fully-loaded./1260977092

Drives a dream and so comfortable when on the road for 6/10hours (accidents). Sound system is epic.... and so are the seats. Ok, lags a bit on low RPM but apart from that the handeling is exellent for the type of car it is. got 50mpg out of it for a bit then she went to 46mph for a 324mile trip.

Congrats :thumbs_up:

If the MOT history is anything to go by then it is a well looked after car.  It has an almost perfect MOT history (not counting that stupid advisory about the child seat), which for an 11 year old car is impressive.

What is the service history like?

Any more pics? :smile:  Also, what spec is it?

Looks very nice in red. First one I've ever seen. 

Be sure to give the car some good long regular runs to avoid issues as these motors don't like dawdling around town.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Congrats :thumbs_up:

If the MOT history is anything to go by then it is a well looked after car.  It has an almost perfect MOT history (not counting that stupid advisory about the child seat), which for an 11 year old car is impressive.

What is the service history like?

Any more pics? :smile:  Also, what spec is it?

Full service history and well looked after car. Its too my standards for once. Although with the service, I will be doing it from now on just like all my other cars. Hopfully it will get more of a deeper service every year from me then the garage. I have 6L of 5w-30 Titan long life oil from my last car (BMW 330D), so ill see if I can carry on using this. Ill also see if there are any magnetic sum and gearbox plugs for this car. All I need is the thread size and bold size for the car.

Ill get images up after I have washed it first.

Spec wise, I know its an SE and it has full black leather seats, hot/cold cooling on them. Sat nav and rear revercing camera, the top range sound system that starts with L. Although its not the Bose one which I saw in the first car. Has heated wingmirros, heated front window, electric seats, hands free although it is rather cheap if you ask me as I am used to a Parrot hands free system which is better than any facory system IMO, and all the normal stuff you get in them from what I see.

22 hours ago, peachy said:

Looks very nice in red. First one I've ever seen. 

Be sure to give the car some good long regular runs to avoid issues as these motors don't like dawdling around town.

Its a matalic red and looks nice... cant wait till I take my detailing skills to her. Will take two days of 13 hours work non stop. It will knock me for 6 after I have finished for a few days mind you. Signs of getting old I suppose... 31 this september :'(

if you like being 'connected' to the car a Lexus is not for you, I sold my is250 for just that reason - now in a SpecB Legacy which is far more driver orientated. Regarding the 220d, I would steer well clear the is250 is a billion times better if you want a Lexus.

Lovely to hear your happy with your new lexus and looking forward to seeing the pictures after you've worked your magic on her. 😀

The advert on Gumtree states it's an automatic transmission.  I wasn't aware the is220d was offered in an auto . 😕

32 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Lovely to hear your happy with your new lexus and looking forward to seeing the pictures after you've worked your magic on her. 😀

The advert on Gumtree states it's an automatic transmission.  I wasn't aware the is220d was offered in an auto . 😕

Its a manual.

32 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

if you like being 'connected' to the car a Lexus is not for you, I sold my is250 for just that reason - now in a SpecB Legacy which is far more driver orientated. Regarding the 220d, I would steer well clear the is250 is a billion times better if you want a Lexus.

TBH, I cant see anything wrong with it other than its under £3k to buy and that its better than my BMW. Well, not with bhp and mpg though.

56 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

An error in the advert since, unfortunately, the car was never offered with an auto transmission.

1 hour ago, DanATR said:

Spec wise, I know its an SE and it has full black leather seats, hot/cold cooling on them. Sat nav and rear revercing camera, the top range sound system that starts with L. Although its not the Bose one which I saw in the first car. Has heated wingmirros, heated front window, electric seats, hands free although it is rather cheap if you ask me as I am used to a Parrot hands free system which is better than any facory system IMO, and all the normal stuff you get in them from what I see.

Its a matalic red and looks nice... cant wait till I take my detailing skills to her. Will take two days of 13 hours work non stop. It will knock me for 6 after I have finished for a few days mind you. Signs of getting old I suppose... 31 this september :'(

The top of the range sound system is by Mark Levinson.  It is the only optional upgrade from the standard system that was offered.

It sound well spec'd for an SE.

31? That makes you a kid around here. :smile: