Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tow bar Enquiry

Bernie843

Why does every supplier believe that just because you have purchased a Lexus you must be loaded?!? Mine is 4th hand, cost less than a brand new Focus and has all the luxury of a er... erm.. Lexus.

I asked about a tow bar.. "Have one fitted for £126" They said... oh... a Lexus.. that'll be £870 please.

Same with servicing and spare parts.

I get my servicing done with Nick at the local garage. He sources pukka Lexus parts from the Land of Nippon for a tenth of the price of Lexus Bolton. BTW, A (small) service nowadays means taking out the air filter and banging it on your overalls.

60,000 mile platinum sparkplugs, digital sparking system, fuel injection, computer controlled engine management system... what is there to service?

• Like 1

I was going to answer your headline "as you are in the CT section" "Tow bar enquiry" with the words you cannot tow anything with the Lexus CT200H as it has a zero rated towing capacity even a camping trailer. All thanks to the EU.

I now see you have according to your avatar a GS450H. This has a high towing capacity, but the only tow bracket I have found is through Lexus at an exorbitant price.

I was lucky to find a used one for £100. You cannot legally make, and fit one on a car again due to EU regulations. The strange thing is the regulations do not apply to commercial vehicles vans, and pickups that are likely to be towing much greater loads.

John. 

I am  a bit confused, why is this on the CT forum? As Britprius  has already mentioned, CTs shouldnt need tow bars because they can't tow.

3 hours ago, Wass said:

I am  a bit confused, why is this on the CT forum? As Britprius  has already mentioned, CTs shouldnt need tow bars because they can't tow.

I am not sure what you want us to do with the thread?

• 1 year later...

Bought a Curt tow bar made for the my CT200h (2012) and installed it myself in roughly one hour wiring included.  I have attached a luggage deck to it and also a bicycle carrier fitted to carry skis and all was fine.  Granted it is rated a 1 which translates to no towing beyond 200lbs. but that was fine for my use...also I did use a motorcycle carrier to transport my 61 Lambretta scooter without incident.  And got it for $105.00 USD.

1 hour ago, Oldr4me said:

Bought a Curt tow bar made for the my CT200h (2012) and installed it myself in roughly one hour wiring included.  I have attached a luggage deck to it and also a bicycle carrier fitted to carry skis and all was fine.  Granted it is rated a 1 which translates to no towing beyond 200lbs. but that was fine for my use...also I did use a motorcycle carrier to transport my 61 Lambretta scooter without incident.  And got it for $105.00 USD.

In the UK/EU the CT200h cannot be used for towing. This is because the manufacturers rate it at zero kg on the car identification plate. Using it to tow would not only be an offence, but would invalidate your insurance. This intern means if you are stopped by the police while towing the car could be impounded a normal procedure for uninsured cars on UK roads.

John.