Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam recommendation

I am thinking about getting a dashcam for my IS250 (3rd gen) but am amazed at the variety am finding it difficult to settle on a particular make/model. I am looking for a mid-range model (£60 - 120 but not fixed on this) that does not need to be hard-wired in. However, I don't like the idea of a lead dangling down so, ideally, would like one that runs just on an internal re-chargeable Battery. That said, it needs to be easily and quickly removed from its mounting point both for re-charging and for security when the car is not in use. If a stand-alone model is not available, then I would like it to be connected to the USB socket rather than cigarette lighter one. Any recommendations would be welcomed. Similar posts by others in this forum have included recommendations but the models seem to be no longer available.

I bought the Transcend drive pro 200, had it about 4 years and I can't fault it.  Small, excellent image.  I just push the wire around and under the trim and plug it in a 12v socket/lighter.  The only important thing is to buy the optional windscreen sucker as the one it comes with is rubbish.  I think it's about £80 or so.  Personally I can't see how you could get much better for the money but I'm sure others will disagree!

Viofo A119, different form factor to most, doesn't rely on a suction mount, they always fall off eventually (or in a shunt if you watch the YouTube east european wrecking vids!) Mine came from here there, although there now appears to be a newer version with an updated GPS mine has never had a problem getting a lock. One of the few cameras to fully support 64gB cards.

I couldn't quite get it behind the mirror on the offside as I have my mirror quite low which swings it forward, as you can see the installation is particularly inconspicuous. The GPS receiver (which has the USB socket at the top) is actually stuck to the dotted part of the screen with double sided tape and the camera simply slides on to the GPS. The supplied is tucked away in the edge of the headlining and down the nearside A pillar. A hardwire kit is also available.

Nearly forgot, it doesn't rely on a cheap lithium Battery (not so good when they're full in the sun!) but has a couple of large capacitors to enable it to shutdown and save the last video.

YouTube video here, actual quality is somewhat better before youtube squashes it......

Regards

Andrew

20170814_131618.jpg

Edited by C Andrew Green
Forgot a couple of points....

I have a Next Base 312GW fitted by Halfords, hard wired and total cost £130. Without hard wiring, he unit is around £80. Works very well and when replayed shows where the car is at any given time, and what speed as well as recording events. Very useful when your car is left at an airport parking service or when anyone else is driving your car.

• Like 1

i have a Nextbase 402G fitted to my RX and i managed to hide it behind the rear view mirror, you can also turn the screen and sound off so you completely forget its there.Obviousley the driver returning my car from service a while back didn't notice it, as he was doing upto 84mph on 60mph roads which i thought was quite unprofessional.

The mechanic who serviced it and then took it on its test drive however kept to the speed limits which was nice to see even though i'm sure he clocked the dash cam.

The playback colour footage is of good quality too.

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2017 at 7:34 PM, C Andrew Green said:

Viofo A119, different form factor to most, doesn't rely on a suction mount, they always fall off eventually (or in a shunt if you watch the YouTube east european wrecking vids!) Mine came from here there, although there now appears to be a newer version with an updated GPS mine has never had a problem getting a lock. One of the few cameras to fully support 64gB cards.

I couldn't quite get it behind the mirror on the offside as I have my mirror quite low which swings it forward, as you can see the installation is particularly inconspicuous. The GPS receiver (which has the USB socket at the top) is actually stuck to the dotted part of the screen with double sided tape and the camera simply slides on to the GPS. The supplied is tucked away in the edge of the headlining and down the nearside A pillar. A hardwire kit is also available.

Nearly forgot, it doesn't rely on a cheap lithium battery (not so good when they're full in the sun!) but has a couple of large capacitors to enable it to shutdown and save the last video.

YouTube video here, actual quality is somewhat better before youtube squashes it......

Regards

Andrew

20170814_131618.jpg

Top dash cam 

Mines the older model - the A118-c but it works in the same way i.e. using a 3m sticky pad to stick to the windscreen.

Im sure you will agree that the video quality is very good from these little compilations I enjoy making:

I bought the Nextbase 412 from Halfords for my GS 250 back in February and had it hard wired in by them, I think in total it was about £130 - £140 or so. The camera is fairly simple to use and I like the app downloaded to my phone so I can put the images onto that.

Picture quality is excellent day or night. Hard wiring was worth spending the extra cash, as I really don't like having wires hanging around, Halfords surprisingly did a first class job. The camera is magnetic so can be removed for security really easily, it also came with a storage wallet so no worries about it getting damaged.

My only gripe with it, is that after a few minutes sitting in a traffic jam (which is of course quite often) it turns itself off and I have to give it a wallop to get it started again. I have put the settings to the maximum but it still does it.

Overall very pleased with the camera, not had any need to us "it in anger" as yet but its nice for peace of mind.

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 11:03 AM, Eame64 said:

i have a Nextbase 402G fitted to my RX and i managed to hide it behind the rear view mirror, you can also turn the screen and sound off so you completely forget its there.Obviousley the driver returning my car from service a while back didn't notice it, as he was doing upto 84mph on 60mph roads which i thought was quite unprofessional.

The mechanic who serviced it and then took it on its test drive however kept to the speed limits which was nice to see even though i'm sure he clocked the dash cam.

The playback colour footage is of good quality too.

@Eame64Haha, I recently had occasion to bollock Lexus Reading for their test driver doing 42 in a 30 zone! Didn't however get a satisfactory answer when I asked them why they left it running for 20 minutes while they washed it? i was amused by their confusion over what aHUD (head up display) was.

Andrew