Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450 - Vibrating read seats

I'm delighted to be back on the forum as a Lexus owner after a stint with a Mazda3. Recently bought a burgundy/garnet/dark red :wink3: RX450h Luxury, soon to turn three years old, with a fair amount of miles on it: 60,000. But it's in beautiful condition with an almost pristine interior, newish rubber and the Lifestyle Pack. 

Anyhow, I bought it from a main dealer as approved pre-owned, and apart from the A/C which is broken and due to be repaired under warranty later this week, the only other niggle is the rear seats, which vibrate when the car is being driven on anything other than supersmooth road surfaces. The vibration doesn't seem to make any noise, but over bumps/ridges in the road, the back seat also squeaks, not loudly but noticeably. Annoyingly it also seems to be intermittent, meaning that if I raise it with the dealer, they're bound to say that they couldn't get it to make the squeak. (This happened with the cracking front fascia on my IS250, which sorted itself out in the end). 

Has anyone else had this issue, and is it worth getting the dealer to try and sort it, or should I just learn to live with it?

Not had it, but I tend to attack squeaks with silicone spray ( when I find the source ).

[ Are you sure it's not the parcel shelf? Sometimes they squeak. ]

21 hours ago, PCM said:

Not had it, but I tend to attack squeaks with silicone spray ( when I find the source ).

[ Are you sure it's not the parcel shelf? Sometimes they squeak. ]

I did wonder if it was the parcel shelf, as even the Lexus salesman said that they're known for their rattling. So I took it out for a while, and it's definitely the rear seat. I need to look more closely at the seat attachments to see where I could apply some spray, as you suggest.

• Like 1

I have the same issue and have not found a satisfactory solution... apart from having someone permanently seating in the back! - It is definitely coming from the largest of the two backrests, the one that includes the armrest.

Keeping the armrest down, and moving the seat slightly forward from its rearmost position alleviates the problem to some extent... but not completely. You can also play around with the angle of the seat back.

I did mention it to the dealer and they confirmed that it is a common occurrence.

One thing to check: if you lift the carpet immediately behind the seats, there are some bolts down there that, if not fully tightened, can cause some noise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DanD said:

I have the same issue and have not found a satisfactory solution... apart from having someone permanently seating in the back! - It is definitely coming from the largest of the two backrests, the one that includes the armrest.

Keeping the armrest down, and moving the seat slightly forward from its rearmost position alleviates the problem to some extent... but not completely. You can also play around with the angle of the seat back.

I did mention it to the dealer and they confirmed that it is a common occurrence.

One thing to check: if you lift the carpet immediately behind the seats, there are some bolts down there that, if not fully tightened, can cause some noise.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I'll have a look under the carpet tomorrow. It is quite a strange design, as the seat backs dont' actually appear to latch onto the body of the vehicle. Hence the vibration I guess.  

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

Just a thought but, could there be someone hiding in the back playing a Saxophone? (vibrating reed :biggrin:)

I'll get me coat......

Nice one :rolleyes: 

Actually it sounds more like a cricket in the undergrowth... about as much chance of finding it too 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I had this and it took over a year to find. The side rear seats have a pocket at the top on the door side. Inside it is a black plastic handle attached to a cord. Think your meant to pull it to adjust something comfort related. On my car this had fallen out of pocket and was causing the vibration.

• Like 1

The same issue on my 12 plate RX.

I have mentioned to a dealer and they were going to investigate. But before i got there i put child seat in and it stopped. 

Can live with it because it does not exist as long as there is a load on that seat. 

Might investigate this 'plastic handle and a cord thing' once the child seat is out and i still want to keep the car. Thanks @Mark Triathlete

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Mark Triathlete said:

I had this and it took over a year to find. The side rear seats have a pocket at the top on the door side. Inside it is a black plastic handle attached to a cord. Think your meant to pull it to adjust something comfort related. On my car this had fallen out of pocket and was causing the vibration.

The part you refer to is the Rear Seat belt comfort guide, on the outside rear seats. The manual says

If the shoulder belt sits close to a person's neck, use the seat belt comfort guide.

Pull the comfort guide from the pocket.

Slide the belt past the slot of the guide, the elastic cord must be behind the seat belt.

Obviously when not in use, place back in the pocket on side of seat.