Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have I got faulty locking!?

I'm looking for some advice for my 2007 GS450H.

I've noticed some behaviour with my locking that may be just how it is supposed to work or I'm beginning to think it may be a fault...

About a month ago I locked my keys in the car accidentally and it needed the AA to get them out.  I unlocked the door, put the keys on the passenger seat and rummaged around in a bag on the outside.  I didn't notice the car self-lock whilst the door was open, the alarm went off so I closed the door thinking it would cancel the alarm and not realising it had auto-locked I locked my keys in!  I had assumed that by sheer chance that the keys must have landed on the seat in such a way that it pushed the lock button and thought nothing of it. 

Another strange event, I unlocked the doors, got in, put keys in centre console and closed the door.  I didn't start the engine immediately, I was reading something.  Car locked itself and alarm went off!  I used the fob to cancel the alarm and thought it was strange the alarm should go with keys in car again.

Yesterday, I opened the car from the passenger side, put the keys in the centre console and shut the door to do something else (boot was open).  Car locked itself.  All doors were locked, I couldn't get in.  I was just about to call the AA when I tried the drivers door and it unlocked as it would with key-less entry but the keys were in the car...

I'm beginning to think I've got a fault.  I can't imagine the keys should work like this!?  I've not had a low Battery warning and new Battery was put in key last year.

Any ideas!?  Is this normal!?

33 minutes ago, cpk said:

I'm looking for some advice for my 2007 GS450H.

I've noticed some behaviour with my locking that may be just how it is supposed to work or I'm beginning to think it may be a fault...

About a month ago I locked my keys in the car accidentally and it needed the AA to get them out.  I unlocked the door, put the keys on the passenger seat and rummaged around in a bag on the outside.  I didn't notice the car self-lock whilst the door was open, the alarm went off so I closed the door thinking it would cancel the alarm and not realising it had auto-locked I locked my keys in!  I had assumed that by sheer chance that the keys must have landed on the seat in such a way that it pushed the lock button and thought nothing of it. 

Another strange event, I unlocked the doors, got in, put keys in centre console and closed the door.  I didn't start the engine immediately, I was reading something.  Car locked itself and alarm went off!  I used the fob to cancel the alarm and thought it was strange the alarm should go with keys in car again.

Yesterday, I opened the car from the passenger side, put the keys in the centre console and shut the door to do something else (boot was open).  Car locked itself.  All doors were locked, I couldn't get in.  I was just about to call the AA when I tried the drivers door and it unlocked as it would with key-less entry but the keys were in the car...

I'm beginning to think I've got a fault.  I can't imagine the keys should work like this!?  I've not had a low battery warning and new battery was put in key last year.

Any ideas!?  Is this normal!?

Im not sure. If you unlock the car and do absolutly nothing they self lock again after a short period. But your opening the door. maybe the self locking is normal if you dont switch on the ignition.

Other than that, id stop shutting my keys in the car after the first incident...

• Like 1

Good advice and I won't do it anymore!  Although in defence of my stupidity I thought the first incident was just a random coincidence where the button was pushed while key was in car.

Now I've seen it happen twice I won't do it again!

Saying that, cars can't exist where if you leave the key in it for a very brief period they lock themselves in!?

Chris,

Weird behaviour. The key fob batteries are sometimes very poor even brand new. You could try a new one and if you have a voltmeter measure its voltage before you fit it. Also measure the present Battery. New ones can be found for less than a £1. Try and buy them from a supplier with a good turnover to ensure fresh stock.

My wife and I have a key each with our own settings for seats. I have noticed that if she leaves her bag with her keys in the car or boot I cannot lock the car. I have to remove her keys in order to lock it.

My keys never leave my pocket. The doors unlock when I touch the handles and the boot unlocks when I press the little button. Doors can be locked by pressing the little black button on any handle. Press twice to deadlock. There is no need to get the keys out of my pocket. I never use the buttons on the key fob. 

John

There is something wrong with your locking system. If you leave a key fob for the locking system in the car you should not be able to lock the car either with the door buttons or the other key fob. It should just beep at you as you try to lock the car in the same manor as if you leave the car in ready or accessory mode. 

John

Thanks for the replies.

I've been playing around and have come to the same conclusion, the car shouldn't lock with keys in the car (can do in the boot apparently) or auto self-lock once door has been opened.

It behaves the same with both keys.  It's in the dealers soon so I'll get them to look at it.  Not sure they can reject the warranty claim on wear and tear for this!

Thanks

41 minutes ago, cpk said:

Thanks for the replies.

I've been playing around and have come to the same conclusion, the car shouldn't lock with keys in the car (can do in the boot apparently) or auto self-lock once door has been opened.

It behaves the same with both keys.  It's in the dealers soon so I'll get them to look at it.  Not sure they can reject the warranty claim on wear and tear for this!

Thanks

If the fob is shut in the boot the boot will not be locked as the car will sense the fob "in the same way as if it was in your pocket", and will open when you touch the unlock button in the boot catch. You can lock the boot with the physical key, but this would mean you have the key in your hand.

This is what should happen in the same way if the fob is left in the car. The car senses the fob, and the car will open "if you could lock it" as soon as you touch the door handles.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I should reply to with the outcome in case someone else has the same problem and does a forum search.

Dealer investigated and found it was a fault due to faulty pins in the door detecting if/when closed etc.  They said the cost would be £90 to rectify.

It was all done foc under the Lexus used Warranty.  I imagine if you didn't have a warranty and could source some pins and it could be done relatively cheaply.

• Like 1