Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a used Is200

Hey everyone,

Just got to know this forum because I was thinking of getting a used IS200. Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum or there is already another thread like this.

I am contemplating on getting a used IS200 (any age, hopefully 80-100k miles) and I was wondering if there are any pertinent problems I should look out for when viewing/testing the car. My family have owned a 2007/8 GS 300 before and I am familiar with the Lexus reliability (when maintained properly of course) but would like to just know the opinion of everyone here since this is an older car.

Budget around 2k-2.5k with insurance. (I've never held a motor insurance in the uk before so I guess its around 1.2k).

Hope all of you can put in your 2 cents,

Cheers!

Hi Joe.

I only joined a few weeks ago and asked (sort of) the same questions. I always do things the wrong way round though, bought the car and then asked...

Anyhoo, see here. In a nutshell it appears to be front calipers, sill and wheel arch corrosion and CD autochangers. I've come from European cars of the same era and that's a bloody short list.

Welcome :biggrin:

4 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Hi Joe.

I only joined a few weeks ago and asked (sort of) the same questions. I always do things the wrong way round though, bought the car and then asked...

Anyhoo, see here. In a nutshell it appears to be front calipers, sill and wheel arch corrosion and CD autochangers. I've come from European cars of the same era and that's a bloody short list.

Welcome :biggrin:

Thanks dude appreciated. That's one bloody clean ride there man, sweeet !!

• 3 weeks later...

Cambelt should be changed at 6 year/60,00 mile intervals. For peace of mind I would get that done if it hasn't be done by Lexus and proven. Rear sills will rust from the inside out. Lower ball joints are common to go.
Other than that, treat it well and it will treat you well.
Seen some with over 300k miles on the original engine!