Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

Just started my LS400 MK4 1999 and it now makes an extremely loud whining noise. This occurred quite randomly as it was not making noise the other day.

Any ideas what it could be?

The noise gets worse as the RPMs increase and the pitch gets higher. Power steering seems to be working fine and have not had Battery issues as of yet.

Noise doesn't stop when I turn ac off.. I thought it was alternator but it seems to be coming from the opposite side (driver side engine bay area). Aircon works well so don't think it's the compressor.

It might be the water pump and if it is you could lose your cambelt if it seizes,take off the serpentine belt and if the noise stops it could be any of the ancillaries or tension pulleys.

If it is still whining then your water pump is failing This happened to me many moons ago on my Mark 1.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Malc said:

on a lighter note ................  does it only happen when you have a front seat passenger :biggrin:

Malc

Luckily not, that would be a difficult one to solve..;)

In other news it turns out it was low on power steering fluid. Topped it up with atf fluid and flushed it through a fee times and it's quiet now. I need to find out where it has leaked out from which is the hard part.

• Like 1