Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keys locked in boot, boot locked under steering wheel

Hi all. First post, long time lurker. 

I've just locked my key in the boot of my LS430, BUT getting into the cabin won't help because the boot release under the wheel is disabled with the little lock next to it. I do have a second key but I *think* I remember that the second key doesn't unlock the boot via proximity at the back of the car, does that sound right? I can't check just now cos that key is locked inside my house. *cries*. I'm sure it doesn't unlock the boot lock under the steering wheel at any rate. 

Any thoughts / suggestions / words of consolement? Thanks in advance :/ 

41 minutes ago, Jake430 said:

Arm rest in rear seat should allow you to fish out the keys

That might depend on whether he has a ski-hatch or a fridge....?

Spare key maybe a valet key which doesn't open the boot?

Thinking out loud here!  Good luck OP

thanks all

it's a fridge not a ski hatch :( and yup, valet key with only two buttons so no joy that way, and it doesn't physically fit into the keyhole under the steering wheel or under the boot lid either.

and even if if i CAN somehow get into the boot via the back seats, there's a bunch of crap which would make finding / grabbing the keys a challenge. but short of using dynamite on the boot lid that might be the only plan?

does anyone know if, on cars without a ski hatch, there is still a gap in the structure somewhere? fully expecting that fridge-equipped cars have an inconvenient petrol tank in the way or something :/

a

2 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Your second key should do it...

Possibly, as a last resort, a locksmith might be able to pick lock.........Your lucky in one way though, you sound like you still have your sanity, if it were me I would be singing the song below

Ok this happened a couple of years ago but Im pretty certain on my facelift 430 the boot will not lock and beep if the keys are inside - perhaps this only happens on the facelift.

Alec my thinking here is even if the keys are inside the boot they are still in close range therfore the boot should still open when the button is pressed? (the button next to the numberplate light) - have you tried that?

This is demonstrated in this video here albiet a newer vehicle:

Ok  - I just went and got the user manual and can confirm what I said above:

If you attempt to close the boot with the key in there then the car will sound an alarm for 10 seconds and the boot will be able to be opened via the button. Page 48 of the user manual

hope this helps

Mark: yeah, that definitely happens with the doors — i've tried to lock the doors using the button on the door handle with the key on the passenger seat, and had the beeping. In this case I guess the key isn't quite within range of the sensor cos the bootlid button doesn't work; I actually considering driving around vigorously to try to make the key move around inside the boot, and then trying the button! May yet resort to that. 

Dave: yup, I can get into the passenger compartment with my other, two-button key so if you do have a technique I'd love to hear it! 

Thanks everyone for your help, even the humorous remarks are helping me through this difficult time 😂😂

OK this method applies to the LS400 so I am assuming the LS430 has a similar set up.

The boot lock motor is activated by the door control module which when commanded by the internal boot switch or remote sends 12 volts to the motor releasing the lock and the boot opens.

You need to gain access to the wire which supplies the motor, on the 400 this is inside the loom which runs under the front passenger side sill cover (just pull it off the clips). Once you have removed the cover you then have to remove the tape on the loom under it to access the individual wires.

You are looking for a black wire with no colour stripe on it, just plain black, once located you need to cut this wire and then apply 12 volts from the Battery to the cut section that is going towards the boot.

This will power up the boot motor and the boot will then pop open, if there are 2 plain black wires the wire you need is the thinner of the 2 (the other thicker wire is an earth).

I'm quiet sure that on the boot of the ls430 you just touch the bit above the number plate and the boot unlocks and opens. They have a chrome strip on the rear of the boot, just put your fingers underneath that (both sides) and it should unlock. I had this issue when I had an ls430 and it worked. 

• 6 months later...

thanks everyone for your help; in fact driving around did eventually shift the keys to a position inside the boot where the proximity sensor detected them, and the normal boot release button worked! it was a stressful time... apologies for not thanking y'all before now, i think i was too traumatised from the whole experience to type! the sneaky electrical fix is good to know, as i'm pretty sure i'll be dumb enough to do this again!

don't tell me your boot has been locked since September last year!!

I guess the proximity sensor/key must have been 'shielded' in some way so as not to 'see' each other?

paul m.

ha, no, it righted itself after about three days. i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied before as i rudely neglected to do so at the time.

still not sure what prevented it from working in the first place but thinking about attaching my keys to my person with string, the way kids do with mittens.

Ha! It's a good look.

I've been so close to doing this sooooo many times on my IS. It's only a matter of time I reckon. And of course I won't be at home with the spare.

I thought you could just open the boot, or car physically with the physical metal key extended. The alarm goes off etc, but when you put the key in the lock, the computer talks to the key and 'knows it is you' so switches off.