Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick Spark Plug Question

So my wife's IS300h will be 6 years old in September 2019. 

As the service plan will run out next year, I was thinking of getting the Essential Care Services done instead of the full Lexus Service as I see no difference between them apart from the Major at 6 years/60k which includes spark plug change.

The thing is, my wife only drives 2-3k per year so the car only has 15k miles on it despite being 4 years old. 

Would I need to get the spark plugs changed when the car is 6 years old? It would only have roughly 21k miles on it. Are spark plugs only mileage dependent? She prefers to keep her cars for a long time so just wondering if the spark plugs are worth doing at that point.

Just had the 4 year 40k done on mine even though I've only done 30k as most of the service was either yearly or 4 yearly.  I believe the spark plugs are mileage based rather than time. I was offered a 3 year service plan based on essential care services but the spark plugs were an extra cost as it seems to be quite a job. £150 for 4 spark plugs exchange is bit much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob99 said:

Just had the 4 year 40k done on mine even though I've only done 30k as most of the service was either yearly or 4 yearly.  I believe the spark plugs are mileage based rather than time. I was offered a 3 year service plan based on essential care services but the spark plugs were an extra cost as it seems to be quite a job. £150 for 4 spark plugs exchange is bit much.

I would agree with that.  When the engine is off the plugs just sit hibernating, it's the heat and constant sparking that causes most of the deterioration.  I would certainly only change mine according to mileage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob99 said:

How much was the essential care service quote? Its not on the website at the moment but I presume it would be the same, if not slightly less than the IS250 essential prices. I believe the iridium spark plugs are £15+ ex VAT so that would be £70-80 alone. Rest is labour

The Full 60k service has Spark Plug change included and is £595

If the Essential care major service is indeed £345, then it'd still cost £495 with spark plug change so would still be £100 cheaper overall.

Just now, The-Acre said:

I would agree with that.  When the engine is off the plugs just sit hibernating, it's the heat and constant sparking that causes most of the deterioration.  I would certainly only change mine according to mileage.

Thanks for the feedback and I initially thought it was mileage based anyway but wanted to make sure

Having just had a the 40k service done at 25k miles it appears to be based on whatever comes sooner - years or mileage.

my car is 3.5 years old and had an interim service last time, therefore it was the £485 4 yr / 40k this time around.

I would suggest the 60k / 6 year is the same.

9 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

Having just had a the 40k service done at 25k miles it appears to be based on whatever comes sooner - years or mileage.

my car is 3.5 years old and had an interim service last time, therefore it was the £485 4 yr / 40k this time around.

Yes that's normally true because of things like brake fluid needing to be changed every 2 years or so. 

With spark plugs it's a bit different in that they don't decay over time unlike brake fluid which gains moisture from the surroundings

5 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

I do wonder though just how necessary a service is when low mileage is covered.  I bought my Volvo from a main dealer with 33k, and although the previous owner only covered a maximum of 3k a year, it always had a main dealer service, without fail in September.  That means in 6 years it had 6 services but only covered an average 12 months of miles according to the service schedule for a 2.4 deisel.

I was quoted  £690 for 2 minors and one major, that's 50k 60k and 70k. Didn't take them up on it as it was the same as the website yearly rates, although the prices would be locked in for the service plan. I mentioned at the service that my nisshoku wheels were peeling again, they had already been replaced two years ago and after discussion with Lexus the wheels were refurbished by Lexus Bolton body shop plus the cars mot was carried without cost. 

I'm no expert, but it is my opinion that spark plugs degrade relative to mileage, not time. i.e. they're good for a certain number of sparks before replacement is required.

I think I've read somewhere that the replacement schedule for spark plugs in the US is 100k miles.  If that is the case, how much money are we wasting changing plugs at 60k, or much earlier in some cases with time based servicing ?

My RX had the 60k service (including plugs) at 53k, just before I took ownership, so I don't need to worry for a while :smile:

8 minutes ago, Ben1001 said:

The US preferred measurement for distance is kilometres not miles so 100k for spark plugs probably means km = 60k miles.

I'm not sure that's correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_hour

http://www.zmescience.com/other/map-of-countries-officially-not-using-the-metric-system/

1 hour ago, Ben1001 said:

The US preferred measurement for distance is kilometres not miles so 100k for spark plugs probably means km = 60k miles.

the Usa are old school i.e. imperial measurements instead of metric and with the speed limits mph is the common speed sign you will see

Spark plug life depends on various things but a main one is tip material.

Using iridium means you have a smaller tip, easier to form the spark, less spark erosion of the tip due to using that metal. An older traditional steel tip plug had a very fat tip which eroded a lot faster.

The specified life is likely given with a margin of error based on an average. It would be impossible to give an accurate life and anyway, if you did it by inspection and cleaning (like an old car) on a new car you may as well fit new ones while there, getting to them s the most time consuming part.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

the car is out of warranty so i wouldn't bother if it aint broke dont fix it as your milage is next to nothing

if you where having the eml light coming on for misfire on cyl ??? then replace them ,

i dont feel its worth £150 for the change or do them yourself,you can buy coil pack pulling tools

cheaply probably 20 mins work as they are mounted under the plastic engine cover.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob99 said:

I was quoted  £690 for 2 minors and one major, that's 50k 60k and 70k. Didn't take them up on it as it was the same as the website yearly rates, although the prices would be locked in for the service plan. I mentioned at the service that my nisshoku wheels were peeling again, they had already been replaced two years ago and after discussion with Lexus the wheels were refurbished by Lexus Bolton body shop plus the cars mot was carried without cost. 

Shouldn't it be £675 according to the website? Or have they increased their prices again? I usually get half price MOT at £27 from Lexus Bradford.  I wonder if that carries across or only if paying for the normal service plan

Looking at the website again the prices on there are for the is200/300 etc not the 300h as they wont be 5 years old yet, but that does include 2 mots. I have been quoted similar price for servicing at the Toyota dealer which is only a mile away rather than the 100 mile round trip to Lexus so I will make my decision next year.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old post but just wanted to say thanks to Rayanns for the image above, saved me a few quid in the short term. This only really applies to all you sub 10k low mileage drivers....   

Had a major service last year but because my vehicle had hit 6 years old, the Lexus service systems assume 10k miles per year, so the service booking teams and dealer pushed for the 60k major this year, which includes spark plugs. However, given my vehicle is only on 26k miles, it has not actually reached the point where the spark plugs require a change, as correctly pointed out by Rayaans, even Lexus/Toyota have these on a mileage only service schedule, not mileage/age based like oils and filters. Given Lexus has dropped the Essential Care service packages, if you wish to maintain the vehicle to the manufacturer's published service schedule above in a cost effective manner, some manual intervention is required to keep Lexus themselves "on track". It means next year I will again need to turn down the 60k, requesting a standard major, specifically asking they renew the diff oil (last changed 2018 so at 30k miles/4 years will be due) plus brake fluid (changed 2019, due every 2 years).

This ensures you are meeting all published service schedule requirements should you have any warranty claims, without going over the top and having spark plugs that are only half way through their service life thrown out.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links