Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test drives.

I am interested in buying a used approved IS300H. Now, having read lots on here and elsewhere, I want to experience for myself everything the 300H has to offer and see if the Hybrid and E-CVT suits me. I believed that Lexus would offer a 24 hour test drive but no, my local dealer wants me to have an accompanied drive which no doubt is at most a half hour run around the block. Then, back to the showroom to discuss if I like the car and how would I finance it etc etc.

I explained to the sales guy that this was no good to me as a quick run round tells me nothing at all. How can you commit to spending a sizeable amount of money on a car you intend to keep for many years based on that.

After a word with his sales manager, apparently a long test drive is not possible even though I offered to pay the insurance.

I thought Lexus as they put it "Try Harder "

Not in this case.

Lexus Bradford loaned me an IS300H fro 24 hours when my CT200 was in for service. I never returned it as I liked it so much. Got a decent px deal from them too. 2 months ago they loaned me an NX300 when the IS300 went in for service. Ufortunately the NX was not a big enough step up from the IS and I didnt get on with the ride quality. Ended up with a gen 4 RX Fsport from Birmingham as Bradford didnt have any RXs in stock at the time

I am sure you will get used to the E-CVT its plenty quick enough and very economical, I averaged 42mpg over 2 years with a lot of stop start traffic on each leg of my 16 mile commute. Others on here avearge in the 50`s.

It's not just whether you're taken seriously, in my experience some car dealers (so far not Lexus) just can't be arsed. Depends on which way the wind is blowing. 

Try Lexus Sheffield and explain the issue with Bradford. They can only say no. 

Could you benefit from a service loan car experience? 

Lexus Edgware rd service dept are always pretty obliging and I've ruled out a couple of cars after getting them as loan cars, like the ct200h's too small with a harsh ride, and the is300h wasn't right for me right - it was very good, but I've been pining for a hatchback since my 4th gen Celica. They offered me a NX, while its really the RX I want to experience, but they couldn't do it - but you shouldn't have a problem getting a is300h, as they seem to have loads of them. 

When I was in process of buying my current Lexus from Lexus Bolton they allowed me an unaccompanied 3hrs test drive plus another session in a different upgraded model which I ended up buying.  I am sure they would have let me use for 24hrs if I asked. They even lent me the new LS300H last week for an afternoon to test out even though they knew I would not part with that much money. 😂😂. My current Lexus is my first so its not that I am a loyal customer.  I am now.

1 hour ago, Eggie said:

When I was in process of buying my current Lexus from Lexus Bolton they allowed me an unaccompanied 3hrs test drive plus another session in a different upgraded model which I ended up buying.  I am sure they would have let me use for 24hrs if I asked. They even lent me the new LS300H last week for an afternoon to test out even though they knew I would not part with that much money. 😂😂. My current Lexus is my first so its not that I am a loyal customer.  I am now.

Strange then that Lexus Bradford are part of the same group I believe, RRG group. 2 branches of the same group and different attitudes to test drives.

44 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

Strange then that Lexus Bradford are part of the same group I believe, RRG group. 2 branches of the same group and different attitudes to test drives.

Which is what makes me think they don't think the op is a serious buyer.

I mentioned to Bristol that I was interested in the IS and twice they have given me one for the day as a loan car - I think they mentioned they have a CT and IS and a NX as their current loan car fleet

27 minutes ago, Mikeyb999 said:

Which is what makes me think they don't think the op is a serious buyer.

I mentioned to Bristol that I was interested in the IS and twice they have given me one for the day as a loan car - I think they mentioned they have a CT and IS and a NX as their current loan car fleet

How do I prove that I am a serious buyer ? Do they want to see a statement of my bank balance and investments and the value of my (paid for ) house ?

I filled in my details on the Lexus GB website and they presumably sent them to Lexus Bradford, who then got in contact with me by phone.

A half hour test drive with the Sales Rep may be a good start. If you have never driven a hybrid before then having someone to explain how it works maybe a good idea. If you then like what you see you can ask to have a longer test drive.

It does seem to differ in how you are treated if you are buying new as opposed to second hand.

Ive used Lexus Bradford since 2004 (when I bought my RX300) and they've had hiccups along the way. Used to be WMG group which dwindled and died until RRG took over and things got better. They were giving good service discounts i.e. £300 off 3 year service plans until Lexus UK forced them to stop doing so and I believe this is happening across the country now. 

In terms of sales, they're hit and miss - totally depends on who you end up talking to and have recently had a huge change in Sales managers

Lucy has been around for a while so worth talking to her. Not sure if Lee is still around, I saw him a few weeks ago but not since then. 

I would strongly suggest you pick out a vehicle you like on the forecourt, ask for a test drive, start talking figures......and then ask for an extended test drive, seems more serious that way.

The trouble is and it's probably my fault for being "picky", they don't have the model spec I want. But I suppose that is a secondary issue. I just cannot see the point in a half hour run and start talking figures based on that. A complete waste of time IMO. There are enough opinions both positive and negative, some based on short and some long periods of time, for me to assume that the Hybrid may or maynot be for me., so what is the point of going through the  charade of discussing figures beforehand.

To my way of thinking, I take a car for 24 hrs, pay the insurance if necessary. Me and the wife go for a good drive up to the Dales, head West and stopover somewhere, say Lancaster, then come back on the motorway and other roads.That way I know for sure what, for example, the consumption is like, I get to know the various features the car has to offer (Premier spec). We get to know how the car handles and rides, how quiet it is etc etc.

This car would be a private purchase and I tend to keep my cars for many years. The car I have now was one year old when I bought it and is now 13 years old and still on very good and reliable condition.

No way, am I going to waste my time and the sales guys time if I don't like the way the car drives.

I guess at some point Lexus GB may again offer 24hr test drives whereas now teat drives are up to the dealer.

This is the sort of spec I would like, including a sunroof, but this car is in Poole so a bit far away.

http://www.westovergroup.co.uk/lexus/used-cars/7588641-lexus-is-2.5-premier/

4 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

The trouble is and it's probably my fault for being "picky", they don't have the model spec I want. But I suppose that is a secondary issue. I just cannot see the point in a half hour run and start talking figures based on that. A complete waste of time IMO. There are enough opinions both positive and negative, some based on short and some long periods of time, for me to assume that the Hybrid may or maynot be for me., so what is the point of going through the  charade of discussing figures beforehand.

To my way of thinking, I take a car for 24 hrs, pay the insurance if necessary. Me and the wife go for a good drive up to the Dales, head West and stopover somewhere, say Lancaster, then come back on the motorway and other roads.That way I know for sure what, for example, the consumption is like, I get to know the various features the car has to offer (Premier spec). We get to know how the car handles and rides, how quiet it is etc etc.

This car would be a private purchase and I tend to keep my cars for many years. The car I have now was one year old when I bought it and is now 13 years old and still on very good and reliable condition.

No way, am I going to waste my time and the sales guys time if I don't like the way the car drives.

I guess at some point Lexus GB may again offer 24hr test drives whereas now teat drives are up to the dealer.

This is the sort of spec I would like, including a sunroof, but this car is in Poole so a bit far away.

http://www.westovergroup.co.uk/lexus/used-cars/7588641-lexus-is-2.5-premier/

I would advise getting in touch with Fred Goodwin - the centre manager at Lexus Bradford and Stockport.

Very reasonable guy and should get you a 3 hour test drive if not a 24 hour test drive. Just explain to him whats happened and TBH Im surprised they asked the sales manager rather than the centre manager in the first instance.

Doesnt look as if Bradford have a Premier in stock anyway but when I bought my Premier from them they did give the 24 hour test drive of the car I was interested in and ended up buying. I had previously bough the service plan for my CT200H from them so they did have a relationship with me. Perhaps thats the difference and Rayaans is also a well know customer of theirs.

I can thoroughly recommend the IS in Premier trim. The Levinson sound system is simply spectacular at higher volumes. Howver you do need to drive a hybrid E-CVT as it is very different to what you have been used to and will probably seem underpowered until you get used to it, although in sport mode they are very quick from a standing start to about 30-35 mph when they appear to run out of grunt a bit due to higher revving and engine note vs actual speed but that is a bit of an illusion that you soon get used to

Further to my last. I decided that I wanted the IS300H and would buy it in less than a mile of driving it away from the dealer but that was coming straight from the CT200H so the difference was significant IMHO.

Knew after about the same distance with the NX that it wasnt for me, drove a gen 4 RX round the block after dropping the NX off and was immediately sold. Bought one a week later but travelled to Birmingham to do the deal as Bradford didnt have any in stock and I am impatient when I decide to change

Contained near top of the list of threads is this message.

Exclusive To Club Members! Test Drive Any Lexus for 24Hrs - Book Your Spot!

Is this a current thing or something that was ?

Maybe I should fill it in and they can contact Bradford Lexus again !

8 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

Contained near top of the list of threads is this message.

Exclusive To Club Members! Test Drive Any Lexus for 24Hrs - Book Your Spot!

Is this a current thing or something that was ?

Maybe I should fill it in and they can contact Bradford Lexus again !

This is current offer to club members.

Well, I have just spoken to Lexus Bradford and they explained that this is a Lexus GB thing, so filled in my details via the link and lo and behold, up comes my nearest dealer which is Bradford !

Hopefully then, a 24 hr test of the IS300h may be offered through Lexus GB.

Good luck with the test drive. Take your check book with you!

One issue you may have, the test drive car may be the face lift version and if you are after a used one it may be the pre face lift.

Not sure how different they are to drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as per my other thread, despite filling out the Lexus GB 24 hour test drive request to 2 different dealers and having had initial contact via email and telephone, the result so far has been

zero. Do Lexus salesmen ever read replies to their emails ? it would appear not.

Amazing Lexus ??

Not on this occasion.

Hi Bernie,

1)  i came from an IS 250 and have owned a 300H now for 2 years. I am convinced you will like it, the 300 is just a much better package and the 250 will feel old after a spin the 300. Only thing you will have to get used to is the drivetrain, especially the CVT box but that will be done easily.

2) buying a car can be very difficult sometimes..

I have been in sales for over 35 years professionally but what goes on in car dealers can still completely blow me off my socks. I can easily fill this thread with numerous examples of lazyness, non interest, commercial amateurism or a"leave us alone we are not interested attitude". 2 short examples that relate to yours = buying a car for my daughter go together for a testdrive at a peugeot dealer on saturday, money in the pocket. Car is there we are there but sorry sir no drives on saturday can you make an appointment for next week plse? We purchased another car one hour later at another dealer. = Entering a BMW dealer asking for a written offer according to  the full spec i had with me, reply was can you come back tomorrow we are decorating the showroom now. Car dealers that put customers first seem to be a rare breed.

good luck to you     

Well, the whole point of having a 24hr test drive was to enable me to see if I can adapt to the E CVT gearbox and Hybrid drivetrain. I suspect I will like it but a quick spin around the block as was originally offered is just no use to me at all.

I'll give it another week and see what happens. I'm in no rush,  it is a buyers market !