Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Could be looking at an RX450h

2 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Started to do a bit of mooching around today to see what is available.  Obviously I will be trying to get the lowest mileage car that I can for my budget but, I'm wondering if there is a mileage figure that I should particularly try to keep below.  Do the spark plugs need doing at 60K and does the model have a timing chain as opposed to a belt.

I spotted this one just now but, I'm not convinced that I should go for such a high mileage, or is it high, your judgement will be appreciated.  Thank you.

https://listers.co.uk/Used/Cars/Lexus/RX/450h_3.5_F-Sport/243728?utm_campaign=used?utm_source=Motors.co.uk_network,used&utm_medium=feed,feed&utm_source=Motors.co.uk_network

Is eBay a good place to look or am I more likely to come unstuck there?

Id check that vehicle out thoroughly before purchase. I bought my 4RX from cheltenham and wasn't happy with the prep and I had to sort out quite a few cosmetic issues myself which I wouldn't expect on a 1 year old vehicle. In other words, their prep is substandard. 

I wouldn't be worried about the mileage myself. Mine had 46k on when sold and didn't feel any different to when new. As long as the maintenance has been done, it's fine. Cheltenham sold my 2012 white/black with ML and tracker at 46k for £2350 for reference.  It was on for £23990

Also wouldn't be worried about eBay either. It's the individual dealers that you need to be wary about.

13 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Started to do a bit of mooching around today to see what is available.  Obviously I will be trying to get the lowest mileage car that I can for my budget but, I'm wondering if there is a mileage figure that I should particularly try to keep below.  Do the spark plugs need doing at 60K and does the model have a timing chain as opposed to a belt.

I spotted this one just now but, I'm not convinced that I should go for such a high mileage, or is it high, your judgement will be appreciated.  Thank you.

https://listers.co.uk/Used/Cars/Lexus/RX/450h_3.5_F-Sport/243728?utm_campaign=used?utm_source=Motors.co.uk_network,used&utm_medium=feed,feed&utm_source=Motors.co.uk_network

Is eBay a good place to look or am I more likely to come unstuck there?

Hi Geoff,yes the big service is 60K i've just had it recently done at Lexus coventry and its the most expensive one because the plugs are changed,So if you are buying one at this mileage just make sure that the 60K service has been done.But as usual full service history with Lexus no exceptions imho.

I would't worry about eBay the same cars are usually advertised everywhere possible.

I've also bought and sold cars through eBay and everything's been ok. As usual, look at the feedback of the person; if they've only done a dozen transactions and have a low feedback score, then obviously stay well clear. If they've done over a hundred transactions and have a 100% feedback score then you can feel confident. You could always have an AA, RAC or other inspection done on the car if you want.

That particular car has done above average mileage (12k/year is, I believe, the average) but at 77k, it could be said that cars like this have just finished their 'run-in' period  :smile:  Any modern car, even a lowly Ford Fiesta, should be capable of reaching 100k and beyond, let alone a Lexus.

I had an email yesterday regarding the reintroduction of the 24 Hour Test Drive offer.  Although there are very large letters at the top showing RX and a little lower down it says CT - IS - NX - GS - RC - RX,  right down at the very bottom it says that RX RC and LS models are excluded entirely from the 24 hour test drive but are available for standard test drives.

I thought that I was going to get the chance to borrow one for 24 hours!  Ah well!

http://my.ownersclub.co/Lexus24Hour

Ive not heard of anyone replacing an exhaust on a Rx450 yet, but you can bet its going to be scary expensive im sure.

Selling my old motor on eBay was a nightmare.

Shifted it to autotrader and was a much happier experience . Swings and roundabouts i guess .

Good luck.

I would imagine a higher mileage exhaust would be in far better nick than one which only does short  journeys. Agree it's probably wickedly expensive. If mine went I may even consider a custom made S/S exhaust, surely cheaper than Lexus OEM

Why would anyone even consider going to Lexus for an exhaust???

When my Nissan Maxima QX needed an exhaust I couldn't get one from the usual suspects such as KwikFit, National et al, so I rang Nissan for a price and was quoted almost £800. I then had a custom stainless steel exhaust made that was guaranteed for the life of the car (even transferrable to the new owner if I sold it) for £395.

I think you can guess what I'll be doing if/when my RX needs an exhaust.

Regarding buying and selling, I've done both through eBay and I've done both through Autotrader over the years and (touching wood and desperately hoping I don't jinx myself for the future) they've all been easy transactions so I can't really say that one is better than the other.

When I change to the RX450h (see, I've almost convinced myself!) it is likely to be (or be very close to being) 5 years old.  In which case it will qualify for servicing under the Lexus Essential care programme.  I gather that this can be quite a lot cheaper than the normal servicing plan.  If I manage to find a low mileage car within my budget, with say 45k on the clock, what sort of cost is involved at the 60k spark plug change?

What is the basic difference in the two servicing programmes and, is the Lexus Essential Care plan sufficiently peace of mind giving to a potential buyer when I decide to sell and, is the service book stamped in the normal way?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say in that last paragraph:wacko:

16 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

When I change to the RX450h (see, I've almost convinced myself!) it is likely to be (or be very close to being) 5 years old.  In which case it will qualify for servicing under the Lexus Essential care programme.  I gather that this can be quite a lot cheaper than the normal servicing plan.  If I manage to find a low mileage car within my budget, with say 45k on the clock, what sort of cost is involved at the 60k spark plug change?

What is the basic difference in the two servicing programmes and, is the Lexus Essential Care plan sufficiently peace of mind giving to a potential buyer when I decide to sell and, is the service book stamped in the normal way?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say in that last paragraph:wacko:

Spark plug change on V6 is roughly £180-200. The 4 cylinders about £150

As far as I can tell, essential care and normal servicing are the same in terms of what they actually do. 

Some dealers will stamp the book and just write essential care under it. Others will just give a certificate to state it's been done

I think, and I may be somewhat cynical here, that Essential Care is aimed at private owners who might possibly be a bit more budget conscious than the company car drivers.  Or in other words, the dealer make reasonable profit instead of super profit.

Just been going thro' all the posts .. makes interesting reading but a question popped up .. is the RX450 Cambelt or a Chain and is that a replacement at the 60k service ?? .. must confess i'm not up to speed on the RX at all .. probably because it's so reliable and all I ever have to do are the usual weekly checks .. in over 2 years I have never topped up the oil apart from the service changes .. and yes I agree with a previous post in that I didn't like it initially .. it was my wife's choice but the pesky thing just grows on you .. my longest run to date was Manchester to Hereford last week .. brimmed it and 4 up down the A49 rather than the M6 .. 250miles and 6 hours in the saddle with a one hour break on arrival and it was a doodle .. hoofed it on the way back plenty of power for overtaking and still managed 35.4 mpg overall ..

6 minutes ago, The Sat Diver said:

Just been going thro' all the posts .. makes interesting reading but a question popped up .. is the RX450 Cambelt or a Chain and is that a replacement at the 60k service ?? .. must confess i'm not up to speed on the RX at all .. probably because it's so reliable and all I ever have to do are the usual weekly checks .. in over 2 years I have never topped up the oil apart from the service changes .. and yes I agree with a previous post in that I didn't like it initially .. it was my wife's choice but the pesky thing just grows on you .. my longest run to date was Manchester to Hereford last week .. brimmed it and 4 up down the A49 rather than the M6 .. 250miles and 6 hours in the saddle with a one hour break on arrival and it was a doodle .. hoofed it on the way back plenty of power for overtaking and still managed 35.4 mpg overall ..

It's a chain 

I am averaging 39mpg in my gen 4 RX450H FSport vs 42mpg long term average on my IS300H doing exactly the same daily commute. I was initially a little worried that the difference would be significantly worse but I am very happy with what I am getting, esp for such a large heavy car. In fact I hardly notice any difference in the cost of filling up each month.

• Like 1

Thank you for that Chris.  I was secretly hoping that someone would come in and say something along those lines.  I need to check but, I think that I am getting rather more than you did with the IS300h.  I have a feeling that I am running at about 48mpg.

I will have to do some more costings.  My pension isn't great but I don't drink or smoke, my main pleasure comes from having a nice car and going out.

• Like 2

My daily commute is 16 miles Mirfield to Shipley. Each direction is half uphill and stop start traffic with about 5 miles motorway (which can be stationary to 70mph). If I set off from home on 39mpg it will be that when I arrive at work and vice versa. Outside of the commute I can get up to 44mpg on the car computer, which I have found to surprisingly accurate. Whilst I suspect you will find it almost impossible to get 48mpg, I am sure you could get low 40s if my IS300H to RX450H ratio works out similar for you. This is gen 4 RX so I don`t think a gen 3 will not be as economical. Others on here might be able to give a better guide to gen 3 average consumption

4 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thank you for that Chris.  I was secretly hoping that someone would come in and say something along those lines.  I need to check but, I think that I am getting rather more than you did with the IS300h.  I have a feeling that I am running at about 48mpg.

I will have to do some more costings.  My pension isn't great but I don't drink or smoke, my main pleasure comes from having a nice car and going out.

You'd have to be doing some very high mileages to make much of a difference in costs in terms of MPG though.

The CH-R is tiny, you'd probably feel shortchanged after having an IS. 

Does the RX have paddles (behind the steering wheel)?  Is the reversing camera the same as in my IS, i.e. with the lines that move with the steering, I gather that some cars don't have this.

I know that dealers generally like to do a deal with a p/x because then they're getting profit on both cars but, can they usually have their arm twisted when doing a straight cash deal?