Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Could be looking at an RX450h

4 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Wow! It looks as though I will have to try to sell privately. Wouldn't be happy with £17K.

I don't think that I want to go any older than a 2012 model.  Could get newer by going to something like Honda but I'm not that keen.

I got £18k px for my 64 plate IS300H Premier with 30,000 miles  against a gen 4 RX Fsport  so suspect £17k for a 2013 model is about the best you will do.

So based on my px value the car lost ~£20k in 2 years 9 months and £9.5k over the 2 years I owned it. Actually a very dissapointing drop IMHO

Webuy any Car offeered £18.5k unseen so that would have reduced so I was happy (not really LOL) to take the £18k px but got some extras thrown in too, bumper protector, boot liner and roof bars. Planning to keep the RX rather longer so not worrying about depreciation now

2 hours ago, chris_fletcher said:

I got £18k px for my 64 plate IS300H Premier with 30,000 miles  against a gen 4 RX Fsport  so suspect £17k for a 2013 model is about the best you will do.

So based on my px value the car lost ~£20k in 2 years 9 months and £9.5k over the 2 years I owned it. Actually a very dissapointing drop IMHO

Webuy any Car offeered £18.5k unseen so that would have reduced so I was happy (not really LOL) to take the £18k px but got some extras thrown in too, bumper protector, boot liner and roof bars. Planning to keep the RX rather longer so not worrying about depreciation now

Most cars tend to lose alot within first 3 years anyway. My wife's IS300h F Sport with premium nav and leather had a list price of £37k. After 2 years I got it for £23k with 10k miles on the clock. Id get £17k p/x for it and had it for 2 years so only cost me £2.5k per year in depreciation.

The F Sport variants seem to hold their value better than the Premier counterparts from what I can tell but ultimately,  Lexus seems to dictate the prices 

I'm in Scotland full time and it is hilly but with a gentle foot I've averaged 33.6mpg since December, it does drop int he cooler months and makes up for it with the (Scottish) summer temperatures.  Im pleased as my previous Merc C200K Estate was very similar, good on a long run, but around town was 24 mpg. Around town the Lexus still breaks 30. I wish i could just take it off eco setting for a couple of tanks to see how it fared but I'm just a typically mean Scot!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silversalmon said:

I'm in Scotland full time and it is hilly but with a gentle foot I've averaged 33.6mpg since December, it does drop int he cooler months and makes up for it with the (Scottish) summer temperatures.  Im pleased as my previous Merc C200K Estate was very similar, good on a long run, but around town was 24 mpg. Around town the Lexus still breaks 30. I wish i could just take it off eco setting for a couple of tanks to see how it fared but I'm just a typically mean Scot!

I haven't tried ECO mode yet.  Will it automatically select itself as I cross the border heading northwards on holiday at the start of October?  

• Like 1

I haven't tried ECO mode yet.  Will it automatically select itself as I cross the border heading northwards on holiday at the start of October?  
You're coming North in October, mad fool. Actually October can be a beautiful month in October and the colours can be stunning. Enjoy it greatly. Ed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silversalmon said:

You're coming North in October, mad fool. Actually October can be a beautiful month in October and the colours can be stunning. Enjoy it greatly. Ed

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I stayed in Helensburgh and worked in Glasgow for enough years to know what's what so I shall pack waterproofs and suncream!

I am planning to go to the dealership on Friday to see what they have available.  In the meantime, this morning I popped round to see the chap who owned my car before me, he replaced it with an NX300h Premier, and so I thought that I would take a look at it.  Cor blimey it's bloomin massive!!!  Way too big for my needs (or pocket).

Does anyone know how the NX and the RX compare sizewise or, can point me in the direction of some specifications.  If the RX is the same size as the NX then I'm afraid that it will be a rethink on my part.  So far I've only looked at photo's of the RX and have never got up close and personal :wink3:

56 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

I am planning to go to the dealership on Friday to see what they have available.  In the meantime, this morning I popped round to see the chap who owned my car before me, he replaced it with an NX300h Premier, and so I thought that I would take a look at it.  Cor blimey it's bloomin massive!!!  Way too big for my needs (or pocket).

Does anyone know how the NX and the RX compare sizewise or, can point me in the direction of some specifications.  If the RX is the same size as the NX then I'm afraid that it will be a rethink on my part.  So far I've only looked at photo's of the RX and have never got up close and personal :wink3:

The RX is wider and longer than the NX albeit marginally.

The NX is actually quite a bit smaller than the IS is so its not as massive as you would think. From memory when the RX was parked next to the IS in the garage, the length was roughly the same. However, I find driving the RX much easier  as it had a shorter wheelbase and was easier to turn etc

NX smaller than IS:

328032d1399665998-lexus-nx-real-world-pi

328033d1399665998-lexus-nx-real-world-pi

If going by numbers alone, the IS has a length of 4680mm and a width of 1810mm without mirrors. The NX is 4630mm and 1845mm width. The 3RX has a length of  4770mm and a width of 1895mm without mirrors. 

RX is about 9cm longer than an IS and maybe 3.5cm on either side wider. Certainly won't be able to tell when driving it, its easier to drive than the IS and even easier to judge where everything is as the bonnet doesn't rake down as much etc

Hi Geoff

As usual Rayaan has got it absolutely right.  Initially the RX feels big but it is so easy to drive you soon forget it.  I've found it very manoeuvrable around town the combination of quick and light steering, responsive engine/motors and good visibility makes it easy.  Go for a long test drive on a variety of roads; you'll soon forget the size when you're enveloped in its quiet, luxurious interior (I get a Lexus sales job next week!!!!)

I agree with all that has been said.  Initially, the RX appears a very large vehicle, and it is !  But, Rayaans has correctly pointed out that it is only a few centimetres (length and width) larger than an IS.  Once inside, driving from that high commanding position, you feel at one with the vehicle.  The extra visibility afforded by its height make it an easier vehicle to drive than the IS in my opinion.  Mrs Ledzep agrees too, she wouldn't go back to a saloon car now.  

Just takes a little time to get used to the RX.....about five seconds :wink3:

I agree with Steveledzep, initially the RX450H appears large, we nicknamed ours the beastie, even coming from an LS400, but I soon adapted to the new driving position. Mrs also enjoys the ability to get in and out without bending. My LS400 was a DHP so lower than a normal LS.   

10 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

Many many thanks to all you chaps for your input.  I am off to the dealership in about an hour to see what's what.  Hopefully get s coffee and a biccy too!

We need a full report!

Coffee ok?  Proper biscuits or just the wafer thin individually wrapped ones?

How very strange. I posted an update more or less as soon as I got home and it appeared to have worked Ok but, your post Ian has shown that it didn't so don't really know what happened there.  Anyway, I'll try to remember what I posted..........

WOW, it looks as though I am going to have to try to sell my car myself, the dealer only offered me £16750.00 for mine, I wasn't really expecting that I must admit.

I will go onto Autotrader to see what other private sellers are asking.  Problem there is that you can't see any evidence of what they actually got or if indeed they managed to sell.  My car is immaculate with just over 13K on the clock, it has a Lexus extended warranty on it to December 2018, it is fitted with a tracker, it has the boot liner/protector, there is a spacesaver spare wheel and it has been fitted with mudflaps too.  I might even leave the front and rear  dashcam which was fitted by the dealership when I purchased the car.

Any of you chaps any thoughts on what I might realistically expect to get for it?  If I can't get a decent price for it I won't be changing just yet.

I've read that posting from you before Geoff.  Maybe it was on my phone, but it's really odd that it's not listed here ???  I've definitely read it, because I remember thinking to myself "He's not said anything about how he got on with the RX".  Did you have a drive of one Geoff ?  Can't help you with your IS valuation I'm sorry.

3 hours ago, bluenose1940 said:

How very strange. I posted an update more or less as soon as I got home and it appeared to have worked Ok but, your post Ian has shown that it didn't so don't really know what happened there.  Anyway, I'll try to remember what I posted..........

WOW, it looks as though I am going to have to try to sell my car myself, the dealer only offered me £16750.00 for mine, I wasn't really expecting that I must admit.

I will go onto Autotrader to see what other private sellers are asking.  Problem there is that you can't see any evidence of what they actually got or if indeed they managed to sell.  My car is immaculate with just over 13K on the clock, it has a Lexus extended warranty on it to December 2018, it is fitted with a tracker, it has the boot liner/protector, there is a spacesaver spare wheel and it has been fitted with mudflaps too.  I might even leave the front and rear  DashCam which was fitted by the dealership when I purchased the car.

Any of you chaps any thoughts on what I might realistically expect to get for it?  If I can't get a decent price for it I won't be changing just yet.

I'd put it for £19k with a view of selling at £18.5k. Unfortunately optional extras are worth nil on a used vehicle but may aid in how quickly the car will sell

I don't doubt the car would be put on Lexus forecourt for £21995

On 11/09/2017 at 5:44 PM, rayaans said:

The Premier model has air suspension. It could prove costly in the future if you're not going for the Lexus Extended Warranty but I am yet to hear these fail on the 450h. It seems to be a common problem on the 400h however.

The rx 400h didn't have air suspension .... it was only fitted on the rx 300/350  .... it's a common misconception as they are all referred to as "series 2" .... ;-]

Thank you rayaans,  I will spend a bit more time researching today.  I will have a look to see if there is a comparison somewhere between the RX450h and the NX300h.  The chap dealing with me yesterday reckons he has a couple of NX's coming in next week.  Both of them are Luxury models and one of them has 45K on the clock, the other is considerably higher. They are both on a 14 plate.

I didn't get chance to have a test drive in either motor yesterday as something cropped up and scuppered my 'car morning' unfortunately.

Thank you for your comment Dennis, can it be assumed then that 'air suspension' was dropped by Lexus and no longer utilised in any of the models?

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

Thank you rayaans,  I will spend a bit more time researching today.  I will have a look to see if there is a comparison somewhere between the RX450h and the NX300h.  The chap dealing with me yesterday reckons he has a couple of NX's coming in next week.  Both of them are Luxury models and one of them has 45K on the clock, the other is considerably higher. They are both on a 14 plate.

I didn't get chance to have a test drive in either motor yesterday as something cropped up and scuppered my 'car morning' unfortunately.

Thank you for your comment Dennis, can it be assumed then that 'air suspension' was dropped by Lexus and no longer utilised in any of the models?

The 450h Premier still has air suspension

I'd be going RX everyday of the week if I was given a choice between RX and NX. The RX is a much more polished vehicle all around

As I understand it, the gen 4 RX doesn't have air suspension.

I have had an NX courtesy car recently and although I have not driven it far, I did do a mix of town, country roads and motorway.  I would go for the RX.  I find it more comfortable (ride and seats are both better) and quieter.  The NX didn't feel a lot smaller on the road but somehow felt a good bit smaller inside.  But there is no doubt the NX is still a nice car.  You need to have a drive of each and make your own decision.

20170811_155435.jpg

11 hours ago, billgatesisaconman said:

The rx 400h didn't have air suspension .... it was only fitted on the rx 300/350  .... it's a common misconception as they are all referred to as "series 2" .... ;-]

Ah yes I knew that - what I really meant was the RX300/350 SE-Ls!

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

As I understand it, the gen 4 RX doesn't have air suspension.

I have had an NX courtesy car recently and although I have not driven it far, I did do a mix of town, country roads and motorway.  I would go for the RX.  I find it more comfortable (ride and seats are both better) and quieter.  The NX didn't feel a lot smaller on the road but somehow felt a good bit smaller inside.  But there is no doubt the NX is still a nice car.  You need to have a drive of each and make your own decision.

20170811_155435.jpg

Yes. Should clarify that the 3rd Gen RX450h Premier has air suspension but the 4th Gen has standard suspension with AVS. 

I agree regarding the NX, feels a lot smaller inside than its size would suggest.

• Like 1

Started to do a bit of mooching around today to see what is available.  Obviously I will be trying to get the lowest mileage car that I can for my budget but, I'm wondering if there is a mileage figure that I should particularly try to keep below.  Do the spark plugs need doing at 60K and does the model have a timing chain as opposed to a belt.

I spotted this one just now but, I'm not convinced that I should go for such a high mileage, or is it high, your judgement will be appreciated.  Thank you.

https://listers.co.uk/Used/Cars/Lexus/RX/450h_3.5_F-Sport/243728?utm_campaign=used?utm_source=Motors.co.uk_network,used&utm_medium=feed,feed&utm_source=Motors.co.uk_network

Is eBay a good place to look or am I more likely to come unstuck there?

19 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Is eBay a good place to look or am I more likely to come unstuck there?

I have found my last six vehicles via eBay.  Four from independent dealers and two from private advertisers.  Maybe I've been lucky, but all the cars have been good ones.  I research the feedback of the seller and talking to them is usually the most revealing.  Obviously, check out the vehicle details mot history.  Just have caution at the forefront of your mind.....but this applies wherever you buy from....Lexus dealer, Independent dealer, privateer on eBay or Autotrader.  From your previous dialogue Geoff, looks like you're going to become a privateer on one of those sites....would you warn people against buying from you ?  There are rogues of course, but I'm sure you'll smell a rat if confronted by one.  Good luck.....get an RX, you'll love it !!

• Like 1