Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So I've had the GS since May. A Messa Red GS300 SE-L (facelift) with the wood pack. Bought it with massive anticipation and was genuinely looking forward to many years of ownership. As with all of my cars I started the process of a maintenance schedule repairing/replacing things that I always like to sort on cars in my ownership. Even splashed out on a Lex Warranty and Service Plan to give me that added peace of mind. It continues to perform duties impeccably with the only fly in the ointment being the requirement to change the exhaust in the next few months (had already talked to Tony Banks in Leeds in readiness).

But to no avail. I'm just not feeling any love for it. I think it's got to go. Total madness you may think but it's really bothering me but I just can't put my finger on WHY. Never been this way before on any of the cars i've bought. I LOVE the Lexus brand/dealers/etc. and yet with this one something for me is missing.

Anyone else been in a similar position??

So the hunt for a new car has started and the rather annoying process of selling a car privately also enters the scene.

IMG_3774.JPG

I’m no psychologist but if this is the first time you’ve experienced this kind of specific ennui with a car you were originally excited about getting, maybe there’s something else going on in your life which is generally dissatisfying and you’re assigning those feelings towards the car.

After all, who’s to say whatever you replace the GS with won’t leave you similarly cold in 6 months time?

For whatever it’s worth I have a GS a bit like yours, albeit a 450h. It’s a great car, but to my mind it’s not the sort of machine that immediately wows you with any specific attribute. I think it’s the sort of car that requires time to fully appreciate its many qualities.

Hope your find a solution to your disillusion soon.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Normski,

It happens unfortunately. It did for me with a '13 F30 BMW 330d M Sport. Lovely car, all the bells and whistles, hugely expensive, went like the clappers, looked absolutely fantastic, could absolutely take it or leave it. So it went back and it cost me a fortune. 

The other side of this is that some cars you don't expect anything from totally take you by surprise. I bought an '03 Volvo V70 2.4 Waft-o-Matic that the guy selling described as "a good 10 yard car" and loved it so much I bought another one. Absolutely battered, well over 100k miles and just drove it at every opportunity.

Just one of those things.

I think the thing with the GS is that it's such a great all round car it does everything you could ever want from a car at 90%. But, then no standout feature to look forward too. Some will get bored at that but others will find it perfect for that very reason.

I've had plenty of cars that I've sold before 6 months so feel your pain.

Normski,

I have heard others say, as you do, that they cannot bond with their Lexus.It is souless and lacks character.

Indeed it took me 12 months to appreciate my GS 450H, but boy, am I glad I waited.

One can be married for a long time and only truly appreciate what you had when she has gone. 

Think long and hard and try to appreciate what you have. What you have is priceless!

Regards

John

• Like 1

That's a shame Norman. Love is a funny old thing!

I moved into the Lexus world from a Volvo which I absolutely adored and was sad to see go. I bought an IS220d which took me a good 6 months including a long drive around Europe after which I was in love. 6 years and around 80,000 miles later it was time to say a sad farewell to the old girl. Traded her in for a younger and more buxom GS and thought it would take a while to get over the old love. However, she was quickly forgotten the love blossomed quickly with the new gal. Two days after getting her we spend a long week in France and I was well smitten. Hardly think of the IS now and am truly in love with her replacement.

As I said, love is a funny old thing!

• Like 1

same here had Volvo for 20 years then RX lexus[3]then had drive in GS loved it ?

so I bought one lovely car,every time I drive it I have big grin on my face .Norman go for a drive and watch the faces of the posers with there X5 dower I would say ,

give it another go or try another car then get back into yours sorted .good luck

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links