Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus LS430 No Sound from Audio - Amplifier OK

Ok Guys

I need your help on this one

On my 04 LS430 i have no sound from the CD/Tape and Radio (power is fine). I also cannot hear any beeps when the temperature is adjusted. Initially I though it was the amplifier but I have swapped this over and this has not cured the problem - I know the amp is working becuase I can hear the fans spinning.

I have also noticed that i press Audio and then Sound - all the options are greyed out.

This is a very unusual problem and i havent come across any problems like this on LOC

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi Mark

I am not sure this will help.

I had this problem recently. In my case, whilst stuck in a traffic jam ( M25 ) I tried to make a hands free call from telephone addressbook via the audio system. But before the call could connect, I had to move and the call failed. Naturally the telephone addressbook greyed out. After this my audio sound stopped both for radio and cds. The rest of my journey was in silence. But after getting home, I turned the audio off and then the engine off . Then restarted the car , turned on the audio and hey presto the sound was back and has not let me down again.

So might be worth turning the audio off and then turning the engine off. Start the engine back on and turn the audio on and pray that brings the sound back on.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guy

Gee: Thanks will try that

Peter: Will also try that

If the above fails then I intend to remove the CD player and screen and check the connections at the back

Other than that I'm out of ideas at the moment

Hi John

I check this and there is no Fault code - I could not even find a menu for codes to be honest.

I have come across a handful of posts with the same problem on LOC USA - but some of them are mnay years old with no resolution post whilst others say its the amplifier which in my case its not.

As a retired electronics engineer if you lived close I could no doubt have solved the problem for you, but there is so much that can cause this sort of problem at a distance I can be of little help.

Corroded connections "tarnished" at one of the plugs is a strong possibility. After that dry soldered joints "the pain of the industry since moving to lead less solder" is the next likely culprit.

John.

Hi Mark

I agree with John it could be a number of things. My guess would have been the amp or a sticking mute button at first. I recall faulty aftermarket phone prep has caused something similar in the past. The fact that the buttons are 'greyed out' might suggest that part of the connection from the head unit to the amp has failed but if the amp has power then the remote lead is working. 

When you swapped the amp, presumably the Battery was disconnected so that would have reset everything too. Always worth a try. 

I sold my 2004 LS over 3 years ago but not before replacing a faulty EMV screen. I'm sure I had a good spare radio CD unit too, it's yours if I still have it. I'll look tomorrow.

Morning Guys

I have tried Gee and peters suggestions and there is no change I'm afraid.

Neil: Thanks for the post - I might take you up on that offer but firstly I want to check the connections on the back of the unit - I will also try the Battery disconnect - In my haste I did not do it when swapping the amplifier over although I should of done.

Will update as soon as I can

Hi Mark

I did wonder if you had disconnected the Battery earth as there's very little danger whilst swapping the amp connections. :smile:

Lurking in a box under a pile of electronic stuff I did find this.

85009.jpg.e206c86640254fa866aa67adcf184a68.jpg85010.jpg.cb22dd9c1603d778a098b58bc4515e68.jpg85011.jpg.01ed49dc4f6537d806b3d0445b962676.jpg 

I think the radio/CD unit was just a good spare. It's been there gathering dust for ages, PM me where to send it if it's a match for yours. 

• Like 1

Ok

Looks like I on my initial check I did not wait long enough for the codes to display - Now I know the car is recognising a problem - so as planned to dig deeper into the dash and check the wiring behind the unit.

Photo 25-09-2017, 4 01 23 pm.jpg

• Like 2

Right - well i think i have done as much as I can - dismantled the dash and removed the CD unit - unplugged it - checked all the wiring for any visible damage - check the plugs n pins and cannot see anything which might be the problem - I think the next step is to check wether the CD unit is actually faulty by swapping it over.

Update: Neil kindly sent me the replacement CD player unit - unfortunatley it does not solve my problem - The audio is still Silent??

Just to recap what i have tried so far without success

• Disconnected Battery to reset electricals
  • Swapped amplifier over with a working one - no difference - both amplifier fans are spinning when switched on.
  • Checked fuses inc footwell ones as suggested by Paul frost
  • Swapped over the head unit

The screen error shown above is still present.

I spoke to chris at svt services (he repaired my amp) and he suggested sending the amps in for testing - even though I find it hard to believe that both amps are faulty - this maybe my only next option.

If you guys have any ideas I am all ears - thanks

Well that's shame, an LS without sound just isn't right.

It's badged as Mark Levinson but Toyota/Lexus should have recalled them because they know very well there were problems with the expensive ML/Harman, Becker/Pioneer/Eclipse equipment.

I can't be sure that the replacement head unit is perfect but if it powered up okay, it would be unlucky if it had the same fault. The amps are well known for their fragility but I would say the next step is to check the continuity of the cabling. (not an easy task even with a multi-meter and plenty of time)

Does your amp have the part number 86280-0W180 ? I think it may be the same as the RX300 SEL and I have a spare. It has the remote terminal connection fault on it but does work fine as long as the head unit is switched off before the ignition is switched off.  (well known Harman Becker fault, forget to turn the head unit off first and the amp remains on to drain the battery) If it's the same part number, that would at least allow you to eliminate the amplifier. I do have another spare good ML amp but I think it's for a later RX with different plug connections.

One other thing I forgot to ask, have you changed any of the speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - I have finally manage to solve this - the answer was a simple 30 amp fuse for the amp!

I think when swapping the amps over in my haste I did not disconnect the Battery terminal which may have blown the fuse which was fine on my initial inspection.

Glad its finally sorted and even more glad it did not cost alot to fix.

Moral of the story - disconnect Battery when working on the car electrics.

Oh that's good news, well done on tracing it. I bet it's good to have the hifi restored.

So if I understand the theory, the first amp failed, the replacement amp works fine but the fuse blew in swapping them over? 

In the interest of checking the amplifier and what caused the 30A fuse to blow if you put the first amp back in and it doesn't work and doesn't blow the fuse, that would just about confirm the theory.

Hi Neil

Yes that is the theory.

I decided I would re-check everyting today (again before i sent the amp off) starting with connectors and fuses (and finally the amplifier). I never got to the amplifier in the end because the fuse which was OK on my first check was blow today! I decided not to check the amplifier because of all the dismantling - But yeah I was glad to have some music back in the car !

Next I need to get the alloys refurbed, The exhaust tips are looking tired and a replacement oxygen sensor is needed.

If you don't mind I would like to keep the CD player as spare?

Yes of course, do keep it as a spare.

Denso 02 sensors are not normally too difficult to replace. Chrome exhaust tips from Lexus are very expensive so I would shop around for those. 

Or maybe join us in the build thread and make a statement........:biggrin:

Image result for Custom exhaust tips Lexus LS430

Image result for Custom wheels Lexus LS430

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fuse number 21a is not audio I’m having the exact same prob you had 3 years ago I changed over amp no luck I changed amp fuse in the trunk no luck what amp on the driver side footwell did you replace 21 is on the passenger side not drivers

• 2 months later...

Has there ever been an update or solution posted for this issue?  I'm having the exact same problem.  Changing out the amp did not resolve this and the 30amp fuse is fine.  I have a 2005 LS430.  Thanks for any feedback.

• 2 months later...

I just had my screen unit replaced on my 2003 LS430 bc nothing was working ,(radio, ac, gps,etc).  Everything is working except I get now audio off. Btw, tape and cd are working.  Help