Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

20" alloys upgrade headlights

13 minutes ago, lordksmith said:

Hi guys, does any one have 20" alloys fitted.  Is it possible? Also can you retro fit the later headlamp with the led day running lights? 

Sorry lots of questions 

If you fit 20 inch wheels your profile would be about 25 you will feel every bump on Uk roads. 

Headlight fit here.            

• Like 1

Thanks Keith,

Yes your right , I have been driving a  Merc CLK AMG, so am pretty much used to a roller skate ride, but I think maybe 18's are a better option. And wow how many plastic clips! and bumper off under tray out I'm to old for all that and a gamy hip and knee to boot!:wheelchair: "midlife crisis motor cycle accident not my fault ! a car turned left and  ran over me in a bus lane" maybe get a friendly Mec to do it for me :yes:.

thanks for the reply's

Kevin.

I would say yes to both, but there are caveats:

LED DLRs can be fitted and are even available in Chinese aftermarket form, fitting genuine facelift lamps are both expensive and more complex, because I believe DLR has separate plug on new models which is not present in pre-facelift which means that needs to be fabricated. The best advice is - if you get the laps, get it with the loom so that you can join right leads together. It is not plug'n play. As well see halogens vs. xenons - because they would have differences in terms of upgrades. Finally, I belie such upgrade generally screws-up auto light levels so you will end-up with either on or off.

As for rims the largest rims to fit by standard on IS mk2 are 19 inch (IS-F), 20 inch might need arches to be rolled or even change in suspension geometry and obviously just my opinion would look rather outrageous, the different ride high would screw-up HID auto-level and it would need to be readjusted and would show incorrect speed (higher), you as well will need to get custom tracking to be done as car adjustments were not designed to accommodate such wheels. Larger wheels (by that much) as well would significantly increase fuel consumption, road noise and make car more sluggish i.e. car will have slightly higher top speed, but slower acceleration - I believe opposite is preferable. My personal advise would be not to go above 19 and even then  - best to stick with genuine IS-F rims (they are forged and as such lighter and stronger). Cheap aftermarket wheels just going to screw-up ride etc.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 8:01 PM, J Henderson said:

Agreed, 19" are a better fit.

Further to what Linas has mentioned, your brakes will also look ridiculously tiny behind a 20" wheel.

Agreed - don't need to look far away - check out RC300h at dealership - only 19" and still looks bit funny, though on RC300h the brakes are even smaller. Somewhat IS250 brakes behind 20" would be very similar size rations.

Nah... that is GS300mk3 /IS350 mk2 calipers/discs not LS. Both should fit, I remember that being one of key upgrades for undersized IS250 discs and calipers. The upside of using GS300 calipers is that they should b cheaper and more common than US spec IS350.

Thanks guy's , I think the moral of the story is leave well alone, maybe look for some 19' s from an IS-F but as you say the calipers are a bit on the small side , I think i can live without DLR's unless I find a breaker with both fronts and loom intact,  but that's going to be as rare as rocking horse manure.:wallbash: 

he-ho just a thought :yes: