Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I young and urban?

I just replaced my RX400h SE (that I'd had for 6 years) with an NX300h Premier with panoramic roof. I must be young and urban? Or a 49 year old victim of marketing... Anyway I love the NX. It's so slow compared to the RX once you get above about 40 but apart from that it's pretty impressive.

Ok so there are a few odd things like the stereo not muting for the sat nav voice. Why, when a ten year old Lexus manages this?

One question: I have a 64gb usb drive with 36gb of music. (Yes it's formatted as FAT32.) Each time I start the car it takes a minute or two before the browse button (or selection by voice) is enabled. Do others have the same problem? Or do I just need to try something else like a different usb drive...

IMAG0937.jpg

• Like 2

Young and Urban 😆

Well i guess its more catchy than.

middle aged / smart and informed / disposable income.

i dont work in marketing btw 😆

Im 49 ,and quite possibly the youngest hippest RX owner out there .

(Not verified or proven otherwise)

Anyways nice car, Enjoy ! 

Stay cool Bro.

• Like 1

Marketing and selling cars hey..

they know exactly  who will be the buyers what agegroup income profession status where they live etc etc. 

thing is marketing is creating an image around a type of car and thats why you see good looking athletic people in their early thirties loading a surfboard in the back of their NX and they smile 24/24 never work and live in villas.

reality is the potential buyers are 50+ middle aged men like me but i guess i dont look good enough in a commercial!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pablo43 said:

Young and Urban 😆

Well i guess its more catchy than.

middle aged / smart and informed / disposable income.

i dont work in marketing btw 😆

Im 49 ,and quite possibly the youngest hippest RX owner out there .

(Not verified or proven otherwise)

Anyways nice car, Enjoy ! 

Stay cool Bro.

I'm 49 on Monday and bought an '02 IS300. Guess which one of us is having a mid-life crisis?

tenor.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I'm 49 on Monday and bought an '02 IS300. Guess which one of us is having a mid-life crisis?

tenor.gif

It's OK, it's not a mid life crisis unless you get a Porsche :-)

Our eldest daughter is more cynical about marketing than me cause she works in marketing... and maybe she's a victim too: She'd like a CT.

It would be interesting to know the actual demographics of the people who buy each model. I suspect there are more 50ish owners of NXs than the marketing suggests, and Lexus hopes, cause of the cost.

• Like 1

My perception - and clearly that of some of my work colleagues - is that Lexus generally tend to be bought by an older customer. They were actually surprised at how cool the NX looks, and I've had plenty of comments about how surprised and how impressed they are.

As with many things, perception is reality. Take MINI as a brand. I'm sure most people would have an initial reaction that those are bought by the young and hip - and the marketing and even the dealers have been set up to propagate that image since the start of the BMW era. However, take a look and you'll actually find that a significant number are driven by older drivers, especially female ones. BMW itself - 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' - has as much of the whiff of the older golfer about it (in reality) as people seem to perceive Lexus to have.

Brand image in terms of the 'who' and the 'what' doesn't bother me much. I've had VWs, Renaults, and lately plenty of Hondas. I've got my 2004 MINI Cooper in the garage that I've owned from new. I've never been attracted to 'prestige' brands that don't deserve the moniker, which IMHO is most of the German marques. As I see it, Lexus has managed to build an image which is exclusive, built on excellent customer service, and obsessed with quality and reliability. Whether that is what the marketing department would like to read or not, that's how i see it and that's why I've bought one.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, javadude said:

Ok so there are a few odd things like the stereo not muting for the sat nav voice. Why, when a ten year old Lexus manages this?

Apparently, this functionality was discontinued with the RX300/350/400h in response to customer demand. I missed it when I moved from the RX400h to the RX450h... but not for long...

• 3 weeks later...

Customer demand to switch it off? Seems like a backward step to me. They could have given you the option to switch it on/off. That would keep everyone happy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It depends how you look at it: people found it too intrusive and found that it interrupted  their listening to news bulletin or other radio programs. You can now hear both simultaneously and can adjust the volume of one to be higher than the other if required.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:57 PM, DanD said:

It depends how you look at it: people found it too intrusive and found that it interrupted  their listening to news bulletin or other radio programs. You can now hear both simultaneously and can adjust the volume of one to be higher than the other if required.

I like to turn the satnav volume right down to zero and rely on the directions on the screen because there are always too many spoken directions. When you do this in an NX whenever a satnav direction is spoken it mutes the stereo and then you don't hear the direction and you don't hear the stereo. Pretty stupid imo. Unless I'm missing something?

16 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I like to turn the satnav volume right down to zero and rely on the directions on the screen because there are always too many spoken directions. When you do this in an NX whenever a satnav direction is spoken it mutes the stereo and then you don't hear the direction and you don't hear the stereo. Pretty stupid imo. Unless I'm missing something?

In my RC one can set voice guidance to off using the menu setting Setup - Voice - auto voice guidance On/Off