Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So twice this year I've stopped at Hopwood Park services on the way down to Sennen in Cornwall.  As far as go services go it's not to bad as it's quite an open and family friendly affair.  I can remember at one point the child parking area was next to to the playground.  This is now been moved to opposite the playground area, but where it use to be is now given over to at least four Tesla charging stations, which are often full.  So I see cars that cost about 80K and emit little poisonous gases and do high MPG.  So my LS cost 8K and no doubt many other LS 400/430 owners paid a lot less and some a little more?  I like to think that few of us if funds allowed would contemplate a Tesla S as I see LS owners struck by cars that are different to the mainstream.  However....... they cost as mentioned 80K new and the cheapest second about 42K.

Anyway so there I am parking up, proud of my ultra reliable 11 year old car that does 23 MPG combined, then I see the Tesla and feel, perhaps, well a little foolish.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LS and I've never felt as proud of a motor as this LS I now own.  For the money I don't think it can be beaten in the miles for smiles (and cost) competition.  It did make me feel a bit like a Luddite though as I parked opposite a young and very stylish family, in the very zeitgeist Tesla. 

As said above, I love my LS, wanted one for years.  What do other LS owners think about auto electrification?

It is the future but at quite a cost. I am starting to get a bit twitchy when it comes to spending lots of money on a car. My main concern is that I could spend £15,000 on a second-hand car and it could end up being a lemon. I now like the idea of spending less on the purchase and more on running a good car. I have just bought a 2004 RX300. I honestly could not be more pleased with it had it been new. I could have bought a brand new Dacia Sandero - without aircon / radio etc. and it would be much cheaper to run than the RX. Sorry, but as far as I am concerned the RX wins! 

To go back to your question - if money was no object - yes I would probably try out a Tesla - but end up buying an LC500!

Was astonished to see the market capitalisation of Tesla is now greater than Ford.

In the rust belt of USA they are being bought because they are aluminium.

In California they now outsell all the luxury German makes combined.

A new owner enquired about a service plan to be told, 'well we could grease the bearings at 250,000 miles'.

I can't vouch for the above statements but I would love to drive one.

I’d have a Tesla in a heartbeat if I could stomach the capital outlay (which I can’t).

The Tesla 3 should help bring Tesla ownership to a bigger section of society.

I too am surprised at the sheer number of near 100K Teslas (Model S and Model X) I see on the roads. I’m thinking something to do with the tax benefits of electric vehicles is a factor. 100% write down in the first 12 months if memory serves? Handy if you’re a business owner with means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

for a private individual to shell out £80k on a new one or maybe £45k on a used just to " keep up with status " or to save money on fuel ....... errrr! .......  I would think to always keep my Ls and maybe buy a used older style Bentley for the fun of it ........  maybe it's an age thing ( me that is, not the car )  :yahoo:

My Ls400 is a " forever " car methinks or at least until it's a write-off, or I am ...............  hahahahaha

Little Toyota later on in life when i can't see over the steering wheel maybe  ......  and parking spaces become smaller ..  but then a big Tesla is quite a big car

Malc

It's actually cheaper to use Public Transport and taxis, so......there is another way!

In absolute logic, it's ludicrous to spend so much money on something you only use for less than 10% of the time you own/use it.

If one had a 'clean sheet' approach to the concept of mass transport, we'd have.....Monorails, moving pavements, ...you name it.

we clog up roads, pollute the air we breathe, kill ourselves. All crazy.

But it's what we're used to doing.

The Tesla is a dead-end solution. Why should we want a huge limo-thing anyway?

logically, it should be a van shaped, lightweight thing.

It's very amurrican -as is the LS400. Just suddenly 'ecological' -forgetting that the origin of the electricity is still oil and gas (until wind power gets bigger.)

If we DO want an electric car, surely (something like) an electric Smart car would do -or the 4 door version for families. Need a van now and then, or a car for long distance? Hire it.

There are quite a few electric 'compact' cars in France now. We get fobbed of with excuses-why? Petrol tax keeps everything going! 80% of the cost is...TAX!

A Tesla that does 0-62 in 3 seconds, and 130 mph?  Why? The boost our macho image?

Old bald guys in Teslas? Ain't sexy.

12 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

It's actually cheaper to use Public Transport and taxis, so......there is another way!

In absolute logic, it's ludicrous to spend so much money on something you only use for less than 10% of the time you own/use it.

If one had a 'clean sheet' approach to the concept of mass transport, we'd have.....Monorails, moving pavements, ...you name it.

we clog up roads, pollute the air we breathe, kill ourselves. All crazy.

But it's what we're used to doing.

The Tesla is a dead-end solution. Why should we want a huge limo-thing anyway?

logically, it should be a van shaped, lightweight thing.

It's very amurrican -as is the LS400. Just suddenly 'ecological' -forgetting that the origin of the electricity is still oil and gas (until wind power gets bigger.)

If we DO want an electric car, surely (something like) an electric Smart car would do -or the 4 door version for families. Need a van now and then, or a car for long distance? Hire it.

There are quite a few electric 'compact' cars in France now. We get fobbed of with excuses-why? Petrol tax keeps everything going! 80% of the cost is...TAX!

A Tesla that does 0-62 in 3 seconds, and 130 mph?  Why? The boost our macho image?

It is hard to argue against what you say. However, owning a car for some people is a bit more complicated.

Strange post to find on any car forum, let alone one for Lexus enthusiasts.

In pure logic terms you’re right, but to extend that logic why eat any food that doesn’t provide the basic nutrients to survive, why clothe yourself in anything other than something to provide warmth, why live in a home with more than one room?

If life was lived according to these rules it wouldn’t be as much fun. I’m glad I don’t share your hippy commune my friend.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

We sure need Gangzoom to chip in on how he's getting on with his Model X so far... had a black Model X parked near my street a few days ago and it looked quite nice and unusual. the doors alone might attract too much attention and I am not an attention seeker so will def pass on a Model X if i had that cash. Model S looks ok but does not have a wow factor if I am being honest.

I have seen a lot on the M'ways lately so they are for sure becoming very popular cars on UK roads. I think its like when the apple iphones came out they were the trend setters in modern mobile phone design and every one wants one  but they are now copying your likes of samsung in thier latest models.

although electric cars are the future the novelty of owning a Tesla will wear off once the BIG automobile companies  start releasing their own versions. seen lots of negative vidoes on Youtube from Tesla owners from over heating batteries to being unable to start the car after a few days to running out of charge due to miles range over reading leaving owners stranded to poor build quality and list goes on... if i was lucky enough to lease on an £80K car there are far more better cars like LC500 which will blow the socks off any Tesla in terms of build quality, how it makes the driver feel and driving enjoyment even through some Tesla models can hit 60 quicker. the LC will just hit 60 in style...

Tell me if you disagree...Nothing a fast Tesla can give you

• Like 1

The future is electric, however the future will be to tax electric.

The only reason a Tesla is cheap to run is the lack of fuel duty, which the government needs to pay for building bombers, House of Commons drinks bill, etc.

If you applied same rate of duty to electric a Tesla (or anything else) then they make a lot less sense.

The one thing about a Tesla is it is dead quiet, and as Battery tech (and magnetic drives) improve then they will become more efficient, but the problem is most of the rare earth materials are in China (sort of stable) and other countries (less stable) so same old problem as oil, who  the yanks are gonna want to bomb to ensure supply.

So even if we all have solar panels etc, the politics is not going away.

For sure 4litre monsters will be unlikely in 20 years time, but petrol is going to be around for a while yet, as it is energy dense and easy to transport, where as batteries are along way behind being that energy dense.

Personally Hybrids make more sense, especially if the electrics are used to get the car moving to 30mph, where the energy requirement is high, and causes the most pollution.

One other point someone pointed out to me years ago, is the fact that the making of a car generally uses more fuel than the car will burn in it's lifetime, so a Tesla probably creates a fair bit of pollution being put together, so the hollier-than-thou hogwash is not going to please the tree-huggers.

I'll be looking down from heaven (maybe) in the future trying to spot the few remain LS hanging on in there.

• Like 2

For the moment I'd say a Lexus LS 430 is the best option. I've been watching Tesla for years ever since meeting someone who had a Tesla roadster (as well as an electirc rav4), but range anxiety, price, build quality and break down issues have always put me off Tesla. a while ago I nearly put a deposit on a model 3, but my local Tesla rep couldn't address issues I had(forgot what they we're but it was enough to not bother with a test drive). The only thing I wish I had I had done was buy some of their shares, as a punt in 2013 would be worth a few quid more today! 

3 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I'll be looking down from heaven (maybe) in the future trying to spot the few remain LS hanging on in there

hahahahaha ...........................  might be me then :yahoo:

Malc

Sat behind the new 'compact' Tesla today.

thought it looked rather fat-arsed from behind.

But then it IS aimed at amurricans who seem to match it?

Cars in general have got fatter.

My neighbour is selling a nice Audi A1-the 'small' Audi, which looks mid-size compared with many smaller/older cars.

• 2 weeks later...

A chunky brochure for the Jaguar iPace thudded through the letterbox yesterday; I forgot I’d even asked for one so JLR marketing clearly moves slower than the cars.

Anyway, the iPace looks quite nice. Four seats, plenty of luggage space in the boot and the ‘frunk’ and 0-60 in around 4 seconds.

No idea of the cost yet but if it’s £40k or thereabouts it could do well.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

My neighbours Jag was given up on, by Jag. The electrics went awol in heat and they couldn't fix it at all!

Stick with the proved quality.

the grass ISN'T greener, just because the pressure of ads to change invades your brain?

• Like 1