Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all

I have a slight but very annoying constant vibration at 70 Mph and above (registered on over reading speedo) that my dealer seems unable to find or suggests does not exist . Any suggestions on how to demonstrate to technician it does exist, when we have no apparent roads good enough. I travel on Motorways on which it does show but locally they all have average/variable speeds and I am not prepared to risk points on my licence just to assist a non believer. I know I am not making it easy for them but there must be a way. 

Thanks in advance Paul 

Are they occurring even while you are cruising at the same speed ? If so it must be something with wheels. Check tyres/rims conditions, do balancing, if possible swap wheels with someone and check.

This is all following new front discs,due to wear  (severe wheel wobble at speed after)  followed some weeks later by a technician demonstration run and front wheel balance followed by 4 new tyres and tracking at same time. Its now down to a slight but as I said very uncomfortable vibration when on a good road. I suspect it's been there for a while but masked by other factors. I suspect prop / drive shaft issue. I mostly travel on speed restricted roads so its not always immediately apparent. My ultimate option is to try a different dealer but think that the current dealer should have spotted the wobble after discs fitted so am pursuing that line at the moment.

Peter that was my initial thoughts and the reason for the initial complaint  but I now think there's something else going on. They have on each occasion though failed to find anything until I took their tech out on a demonstration run!!!  It is now so slight that I am having difficulty in persuading them that it is there because as explained the road quality is not there but when on a good road I cannot travel at a good constant 70 as it makes you feel sick. it is vibrating the floor/seat whole vehicle but doesn't show in the steering wheel. I do the journey to the Durham area on the A1 regularly but not always in my vehicle so know its not the road condition as it does not occur in the other vehicle at the same speeds as measured on my sat nav and phone app. I just need to prove it to them yet again.

Theres a couple of other areas to check

1/ INNER corroded rims - I had that lately where the car had a vibration - could not figure out where it was coming from until I had a tyre removed on the off chance it was wheel related as there was a slow puncture but no evidence of any objects in the tyre. As expected the inner wheel had corroded around the edge of the rim letting air out. I have not sortheed it yet as I will be looking for non Lexus wheels soon.

2/ As I could not resolve the above easy when I was initially looking I was being steered towards issues with the gear box - in particular the torque convertor - as it will produce the vibration I was experiencing or lastly a work "guibo" (rubber washer between gear box and transmission) Hope its not any of these two issues.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Vibrations felt through the seat and floor but not the steering wheel is often down to poor rear wheel balance, possibly a slightly buckled rim.

My money is on this. Not so much the buckling but the balancing out on the rears. Mine's doing it now. I had a puncture repaired on the n/s rear and my fitters (though very good) never seem to get it right first time. Actually, there's one bloke who does but he's not always there!

Symptoms of the rears being out are higher speed than if it was the front (70ish rather than 60ish), nothing through the steering but through the seat either felt with your bum or legs. Can't be peculiar to Lexus but my IS seems particularly sensitive.

Probably worth checking the tyre tread for feathering too. Once had it on an A3 and that felt like balancing but was in fact uneven wear.

update they have rechecked the wheel alignment and the balance of all four wheels, nothing found. I have taken their "technician" for a test run but with the poor road surface and short distance available nothing showed up other than general bumping due to said road surface.  Richard glad you are all sorted.

Take it to a proper tyre fitter. One you trust. Pay the tenner or whatever. Or are you ever in Sheffield? I can put you on to my guy if you like? 

I don't have any faith in a dealer's ability to sort wheels and tyres. Not knocking them, I just think it's rare to come across one that knows what they're doing. Tyres just don't seem to be their thing. I picked up my IS a couple of months ago and as part of the full Lexus used car handover they put a couple of tyres on, tracked and balanced it. First time I got up to speed it nearly wobbled me out of the sunroof. I expect the tracking's out too.