Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought a DA kit.....advice required.

Verbout

Some thug has run into my car while visiting Lincoln the other week, on the very slim chance the **** is reading this I wish you pain.

An attempt to T cut the scratches out failed, they disappear when wet so I believe only the top clear coat is marked.

So I bought, as per title, a DA kit that comes with a white pad, orange pad, Meguiars Ultra Finish polish 205 and Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound 105. I've always fancied a go at detailing.

I'm fine with all the products, but due to the alleged soft Lexus paint I was wondering if the cutting compound is too aggressive?

• Sad 1

On 29/09/2017 at 6:56 PM, Verbout said:

Some thug has run into my car while visiting Lincoln the other week, on the very slim chance the **** is reading this I wish you pain.

An attempt to T cut the scratches out failed, they disappear when wet so I believe only the top clear coat is marked.

So I bought, as per title, a DA kit that comes with a white pad, orange pad, Meguiars Ultra Finish polish 205 and Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound 105. I've always fancied a go at detailing.

I'm fine with all the products, but due to the alleged soft Lexus paint I was wondering if the cutting compound is too aggressive?

Its very pad dependent.

Which kit did you specifically go for? Was it a Meguiars kit or something else?

In essence, you want to start off with Meguiars 205 and the softest pad you have. Move to the firmer pad if its not working. Then, if that doesn't work, use the 105 on the softest pad and try again. 

Then, once you've done the polishing, refine back down using Meguiars 205 and the softest pad. 

• Like 1

I bought a kit from cleanyourcar.co.uk. A DAS 6 V2 along with pads, cutting compound and polish. £114.

I’ll, as you say, start gently and see how it goes.

May experiment on the wife’s car first.

• 5 months later...
On 01/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, Verbout said:

I bought a kit from cleanyourcar.co.uk. A DAS 6 V2 along with pads, cutting compound and polish. £114.

I’ll, as you say, start gently and see how it goes.

May experiment on the wife’s car first.

How did it turn out?

I've always liked the idea of purchasing a DAS and kit but never been brave enough, so hearing your experience might give me more confidence to go out and get one.

It did a cracking job. Took all the advice I found on the WWW and did it on a cloudy day, and took it very slowly and gently.

It certainly beats hand polishing.

Chemical Guys on YouTube are the best for advice.

• Like 1