Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Centre exhaust build, and de-cat.

Following the success of building my own stainless rear exhaust I have decided to complete the job by replacing the front centre section. I am considering removing the two small cats in this section, and wondered if this would increase the noise level at the rear. The second problem is how does this affect the MOT as being a GS450H it is exempt from emissions testing.

Has anyone else done this, and are there any downsides.

John. 

Hum, interesting that they are exempt from emission checks. My mot that failed on strut and exhaust y piece and track rod ends, tested my emissions and confirmed all ok.

All the Toyota/Lexus hybrids are exempt from emissions checks because the engine has to be revved off load, and the revs held at a given level. This cannot be done as to rev the engine it must be in drive, and hence is under load. The engine may also turn off in the middle of the test or even not start at all.

Some MOT stations have to be reminded of this. Mine always needs reminding, and I always get the same look followed by are you sure. The tester then goes off to check, and comes back saying your right. This maybe because there are not many hybrids in the area although I do now see the occasional Prius.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1