Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Soft helicopter sound at stationary

Hi all. Am new to Lexus,  new to hybrid so basic question. When vehicle is  warmed up and having pulled up at say traffic lights, stationary and on EV there is a strange sound which I thought at first was a helicopter hovering above us but it was coming from the engine department. Is it something to do with the recharging process? It not loud but different from my old Qashqai diesel. Hope someone can help and thanks.

it is not loud but sounds a bit like a helicopter hovering above you?

it could be the electric motors you hear they give sort of whining sound but you wont hear them when stationary.

I've got an IS300h, when stopped like you say, you have a continuous fan which is the ventilation fan blowing the air into your cabin.

You may keep hearing another fan stop and start every few seconds or so, this appears to be the AC 'chiller' unit which would normally run off the ICE but on the hybrid is electrical. 

If you press the AC button to turn it off, you will find that the second sound stops.

Vince