Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ceramic brake pads.

25 minutes ago, DanD said:

Is it really worth the hassle and expense when Hybrids hardly ever rely on pads and disks for braking anyway?

What makes you think Hybrids don't use the brake pads to stop? What hassle? What expense? Same cost as standard fitted in half an hour :rolleyes:   I fitted a set to eliminate the low speed brake grunt that my dealer said was normal so definitely worth it imho. Lack of black dust is another plus.

Hi, just wondering if a link to the seller of Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads could be listed here ? The amazon link only goes to amazon UK, and there is only one seller "BBenKatastima".

I had a look for sellers in the US, but none of the listed sellers send to the UK. 

Also, the US sellers don't seem to have a listing for the IS 300h Gen III.

If anyone has actually purchased Wagner Thermoquiet brake pad kits [front and rear] from the US would it be possible to post a link to the seller, and perhaps list the part number, as all of the brake pad kits that I have looked at are either for the GS, or the Gen II car, or the IS 250 [which I believe is Gen II anyway].

I would be most grateful for a direct working link to a company that will ship to the UK.

Parkman.

The seller will be amazon.com & not a market place vendor.    You may have to cross reference which fit your car. e.g my GS300H has the same rear pads as a GS450H which is what I ordered. (The 300H isnt nsold in the USA)  Pretty sure that the IS300H has the same rears.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A6BUWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These fit the IS250 which may have the same as a IS300H double check it though. The link will also try to go to amazon UK but order on amazon .com USA site.

https://www.amazon.com/ProACT-ACT1391-Akebono-Premium-Ceramic/dp/B00ESZGCLO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1509529055&vehicle=2014-75-2835-20--1-6-7-18589--1-1---2-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2014%3Alexus%3Ais250

@capese & @parkman,

Funny you should say that, what I did was go on Wagners part finder direct and identify exactly which part number I needed (in my case ThermoQuiet Ceramic #QC1113) then search amazon for them, amazon.co.uk = £68.00 (not amazon but sold by someone else) amazon.com £40 odd (sold by amazon with import taxes (allegedly, we'll see) included).

As it happens I was initially looking on amazon.com (US) and it was only later that I tried searching the .co.uk site.

I'm not at all sure how I've got an account on amazon.com as I've never bought from them before, maybe you automatically get a reciprocal account when you sign up to amazon.co.uk?

I wait with baited breath to see how the import side of it goes and whether I have to pay ParcelFarce / Royal Snail's 'clearance fee'................

Andrew

ScreenHunter 53.jpg

As a quick comment, I happened to ask Lexus store, Birmingham, and the guy said that he wasn't sure which US model of the IS range would be the same as the UK IS 300h. I was discussing a different part for my gen III IS 300h and I asked, if I bought the part in the US, what would be the corresponding model to our 300h. The chap said that he wasn't at all sure but it could be the US IS 250 or the IS 200t.

Then someone else told me that the IS 250 id a gen II car.

So again I have run into a brick wall trying to find, in this case, front and rear dust-free brake pads for my IS 300h. So I will just have to either buy the pads from a racing parts dealer in the Midlands at around £200, or just have Lexus replace the existing brake pads with Lexus parts.

I do know that I didn't have such difficulty sourcing parts for any of my Mercs, from a 1983 S class, 1991 E class to a 2004 E class. I have bought a lot of tuning parts and standard replacement parts for these three cars, in particular, through the years with very little problem. Sometimes I had to contact Mercedes Oldtimer for older parts but they still ended up being sourced.

It is a pity that it is not as easy to source parts from around the world for the Lexus IS.

Parkman.

1 hour ago, parkman said:

So again I have run into a brick wall trying to find, in this case, front and rear dust-free brake pads for my IS 300h.

amazon.com have them. Lexus models. IS200T GS250, IS250 IS300H share the same rears.  The IS300h is not sold in the USA so will not show up but the others do.   Wagner Thermoquiet part no QC1391

Fronts I think are these but check first I have a GS so cannot compare the originals. 

TRW  TPC1178  or Akebono ACT1178

Edwardo, thanks for your information. I am not busy promoting Mercedes, or trying to run down Lexus, I just get a bit frustrated, sometimes, when trying to find parts that other people say that they have bought but I can't find for love nor money !!

I will have another look for brake pads. I would possibly prefer the Wagner pads as the reviews seem to indicate that they run quietly. I notice that my brakes tend to grab a little bit at slow speed, and they also tend to groan a bit as well. Hopefully, a change of pads might sort it out.

Thanks again.

Parkman.

6 hours ago, parkman said:

Then someone else told me that the IS 250 id a gen II car.

Not true, there is an IS250 gen III car as well, but it was discontinued after a couple of years and replaced with the IS200t

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, capese21 said:

What makes you think Hybrids don't use the brake pads to stop? What hassle? What expense? Same cost as standard fitted in half an hour :rolleyes:   I fitted a set to eliminate the low speed brake grunt that my dealer said was normal so definitely worth it imho. Lack of black dust is another plus.

Because Hybrids use regenerative braking most of the time. They only use friction brakes at low speed (when regenerative braking would be inefficient), or in emergencies when additional stopping power is required. Brakes and pads therefore last much longer than on a non-hybrid car.

Based on the above, will you really benefit from having ceramic brakes, and is it worth the investment? It's only a question...

(I had always thought that ceramics were a lot more expensive than the traditional pads)

A fair point about regenerative braking. I would be more interested in the dust free option in the brake pads. The other points are advantageous, quieter and perhaps easier on the brake disc.

I find that the current brake pads tend to grab at bit, especially a very slow speeds, and I would like to try ceramic pads to see if they will be more gentle, and hopefully also be a bit less dusty on the alloys.

Again, as I have mentioned on a number of occasions, I have so far been unable to source any pads by people like Akebono or Wagner Thermoquiet. I see that there are links to an amazon page but there is nothing about brake pads for the IS 300h. 

I found a connection to a manufacturer in North Wales, with a reference to Akebono, but I have not heard a thing despite e-mailing them twice. They must not sell into the UK, I suppose.

The only other option is EBC replacement pads but the don't have the dust free, and "quietness", reviews that American brake pads have so I am loath to buy them.

The search continues ....................!!!

Parkman.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, parkman said:

I see that there are links to an Amazon page but there is nothing about brake pads for the IS 300h. 

Rears are  available for the IS300H. I posted the links.   Wagner Thermoquiets & Akebono.  Fronts are to just have to cross reference the part numbers. The IS300H isn't sold in the USA so not listed but other Lexus models use the same pads.

My GS definitely makes use of the brakes at all speeds so don't really agree that Hybrids use regenerative braking most of the time.  Some of the time & in addition maybe. The low speed grunt of the rears has gone now the ceramics are fitted.

Ed:winkiss:

Hi Edwardo, I agree that you have posted the links, it's just when I follow the links for amazon I just get a whole page of headings and it is difficult to figure out how to find the IS 300 brake pads.

Having said that, I have had an e-mail from Cambridge Motorsport Parts, and they say that they stock Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads, from the US. A front and rear set are £150 plus postage, and Hawk pads are supposed to be very good.

I will be ordering from Cambridge, I think, because they took my reg. number and came back to me to say that they have the right pads in stock.

Sorry, that should read "will have in stock in about 7 days time".

Parkman. 

Edited by parkman
Added information.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links