Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing Costs

Hi

Ive owned Toyota’s now for 13 years. When I purchased my IS F Sport the sales guy told me the costs were similar to Toyota. Today I have been quoted £275 for an intermediate service, which is basically an oil and filter change plus a few checks. Full service is £485 then the big 60 £595. I’ll tell you now this is nothing like I’m used to. Does anyone else think these prices are just rediculous? Any other options available?

thanks

carl

Unfortunately that's the way it is, service costs do fall after 5 years of age as part of the essential plan - which I believe is the same as the normal service schedule but waiting for confirmation.

1 hour ago, Carl1983 said:

When I purchased my IS F Sport the sales guy told me the costs were similar to Toyota. 

And the moral of the story is never believe what a sales guy tells you !

All main dealer servicing is a rip off, it's just Lexus is an even bigger one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carl1983 said:

Hi

Ive owned Toyota’s now for 13 years. When I purchased my IS F Sport the sales guy told me the costs were similar to Toyota. Today I have been quoted £275 for an intermediate service, which is basically an oil and filter change plus a few checks. Full service is £485 then the big 60 £595. I’ll tell you now this is nothing like I’m used to. Does anyone else think these prices are just rediculous? Any other options available?

thanks

carl

Lexus is a premium brand with equally premium prices. Hence why the price of the car is more expensive and also the price of everything else. How else do you think they pay for the fancy leather chairs in the showroom?

Its like saying Skoda servicing is cheaper than Audi's, the only difference between Toyota/Lexus and Skoda/Audi being that Lexus in the UK have their own range of engines bar the CT whereas Skoda and Audi use the same bloody units. 

Thank for the reply, yeh I expected the prices to be abit higher as like you say it’s the premium brand , but these are a lot more. Don’t think it will be going to the main dealer at those prices. Makes you realise why they are pushing service plans, like you say, to buy all those posh chairs in the showroom lol

14 hours ago, Martin F said:

And the moral of the story is never believe what a sales guy tells you !

All main dealer servicing is a rip off, it's just Lexus is an even bigger one.

Haha, to be fair I should of checked properly before purchasing however, i love the car so would it really have stopped me buying it ....probably not 

• Like 1

Not the price so much but the 10k service intervals, way above most manufactures now days. if you do 20k a year that's every 6 months a fairly hefty bill, add in other consumable costs and it makes Lexus very uncompetitive for Mid/high milage users.

My son has a 3 series BMW and the servicing costs are way more than my IS300H was and the dealer wouldn't even give him a quote beforehand. Whilst under warranty I would always stick with dealer services and maintain the service history as I think this does help with PX and private sale values so the cost is partially outweighed by that if you sell on when the warranty expires. I fully agree that an oil change and a few checks for £295 for my RX450 is taking the proverbial. For me now, as I can afford it, I prefer to stick with the overpriced dealer servicing vs an unknown garage.  I like to believe that if I have any complaints I will have more leverage with the dealer.

I know others might not necessarily agree with this position but each to their own

3 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Not the price so much but the 10k service intervals, way above most manufactures now days. if you do 20k a year that's every 6 months a fairly hefty bill, add in other consumable costs and it makes Lexus very uncompetitive for Mid/high milage users.

Lexus don't sell to fleets etc so they aren't particularly concerned about their mileage intervals as they make more sense for an average user. 

If you do huge mileages a diesel is almost always better in this regard

6 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Lexus don't sell to fleets etc so they aren't particularly concerned about their mileage intervals as they make more sense for an average user. 

If you do huge mileages a diesel is almost always better in this regard

You sure the don't do fleet sales, they seem to have a whole department for it, can't see any manufacturer not interested in fleet sales, in fact I'd say most private sales are a pain, much easier to sell to business.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/business/fleet-managers/

15 to 20 k is not massive millage these days, Lexus do allow a little extra  - 12.5k service intervals for business vehicles, ALL contract hire for Lexus is business only which must be a big part of their sales and more importantly a growing market. 

3 hours ago, chris_fletcher said:

My son has a 3 series BMW and the servicing costs are way more than my IS300H was and the dealer wouldn't even give him a quote beforehand. Whilst under warranty I would always stick with dealer services and maintain the service history as I think this does help with PX and private sale values so the cost is partially outweighed by that if you sell on when the warranty expires. I fully agree that an oil change and a few checks for £295 for my RX450 is taking the proverbial. For me now, as I can afford it, I prefer to stick with the overpriced dealer servicing vs an unknown garage.  I like to believe that if I have any complaints I will have more leverage with the dealer.

I know others might not necessarily agree with this position but each to their own

BMW serving is actually competitive for almost all millage users, my 3 series needed a service about every 18k or 18 month, its condition based so visits to the dealer are much less frequent. Also, BMW are always doing great deals on all inclusive service packs, Lexus think they are doing you a favour by paying for the services upfront with virtually no discount, 10% if you are lucky.

3 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

You sure the don't do fleet sales, they seem to have a whole department for it, can't see any manufacturer not interested in fleet sales, in fact I'd say most private sales are a pain, much easier to sell to business.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/business/fleet-managers/

15 to 20 k is not massive millage these days, Lexus do allow a little extra  - 12.5k service intervals for business vehicles, ALL contract hire for Lexus is business only which must be a big part of their sales and more importantly a growing market. 

They don't sell very many to fleets at all. Fleet sales and Business sales are entirely different concepts.

The average mileage in the UK is classed as 12.5k miles. 

Other manufacturers such as Audi and VW only offer long life servicing for people doing high mileages. They still have their normal 9k/1 year servicing scheme for private drivers or those who don't do many miles.

Ideally a car should be serviced every year anyway and I suspect Lexus factors in their reliability record in the servicing schedule. 

Just now, Casa1862 said:

BMW serving is actually competitive for almost all millage users, my 3 series needed a service about every 18k or 18 month, its condition based so visits to the dealer are much less frequent. Also, BMW are always doing great deals on all inclusive service packs, Lexus think they are doing you a favour by paying for the services upfront with virtually no discount, 10% if you are lucky.

Thats not entirely true though - its flagged up for some users at around 10k miles which makes it exactly the same as a normal service. 

Lexus do offer free service packs if buying a new or used car if you push them hard.

34 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Thats not entirely true though - its flagged up for some users at around 10k miles which makes it exactly the same as a normal service. 

Lexus do offer free service packs if buying a new or used car if you push them hard.

Ok, maybe true for some users, but Lexus have 10k for EVERYONE. I can only go by the BMW I and my colleagues have and they all made 15k, like I said I got 18k.

I like Lexus but their servicing is just expensive, I'm not sure why the need to defend them, where they are not good surly you should say so.

25 minutes ago, rayaans said:

They don't sell very many to fleets at all. Fleet sales and Business sales are entirely different concepts.

The average mileage in the UK is classed as 12.5k miles. 

Other manufacturers such as Audi and VW only offer long life servicing for people doing high mileages. They still have their normal 9k/1 year servicing scheme for private drivers or those who don't do many miles.

Ideally a car should be serviced every year anyway and I suspect Lexus factors in their reliability record in the servicing schedule. 

I'm sorry I just don't believe this, you originally said "Lexus don't sell to fleets etc" the etc part i would think refers to business sales in general, you've gone from they don't sell at all to not very many, both incorrect.  Most contract hire cars would be fleet sales, are you saying Lexus are not bothered about them? Nearly any business person prefers to sell B2B, private customers are the worst type of customers.

1 hour ago, Casa1862 said:

I'm sorry I just don't believe this, you originally said "Lexus don't sell to fleets etc" the etc part i would think refers to business sales in general, you've gone from they don't sell at all to not very many, both incorrect.  Most contract hire cars would be fleet sales, are you saying Lexus are not bothered about them? Nearly any business person prefers to sell B2B, private customers are the worst type of customers.

Fleets and businesses sales are different. Business sales are any sales where a business is involved which could be a small business like a hairdressers. Fleet sales generally include huge companies like Kelloggs or Fox's biscuits both of which have contracts with BMW and Audi. They can usually be car rental companies etc.

You can usually tell a fleet sale by the car spec and colour combo, they're usually all the same. 

Additionally the Lexus service interval is 12.5k for drivers who drive more. Ask in the dealership if you drive more than 10k. They won't turn you down.

Check out the 20k BMW, Audi, Merc oil changes on YouTube - black sludge. I don't believe that oil is meant to last that long. I had my oil tested at a lab (out of interest) after the first 10k in my Audi a few years back and they said it needed changing, although the computer said it could run for another 9k.

some good advice above although still wanting to understand more about the "essential" servicing for older cars (older than 5 years) which would bring the cost down quite a bit - does this include spark plugs, air filters and other expensive items on the 40/60/80k standard services - Id imagine they have to, therefore much better value at £165 for interim and £345 for major services - personally I don't mind paying that. In fact the major service could be a real bargain for the 60k/120k where the plugs need to be changed.

Will probably take it to an independent garage for brakes etc though.

I have recently had mine serviced at 4th year 40k even though it's only done 30k. I was offered a 3 year service plan which was the essential services. I asked if the 60k included spark plugs and was told that it didn't and they would cost extra, anything else not included in the essential plan as opposed to the normal plans will be extra I believe. 

1 hour ago, Ben1001 said:

Check out the 20k BMW, Audi, Merc oil changes on YouTube - black sludge. I don't believe that oil is meant to last that long. I had my oil tested at a lab (out of interest) after the first 10k in my Audi a few years back and they said it needed changing, although the computer said it could run for another 9k.

some good advice above although still wanting to understand more about the "essential" servicing for older cars (older than 5 years) which would bring the cost down quite a bit - does this include spark plugs, air filters and other expensive items on the 40/60/80k standard services - Id imagine they have to, therefore much better value at £165 for interim and £345 for major services - personally I don't mind paying that. In fact the major service could be a real bargain for the 60k/120k where the plugs need to be changed.

Will probably take it to an independent garage for brakes etc though.

So the essential servicing only includes the standard service items. Things like spark plugs will be extra but I believe its only about £150-200 so would still be cheaper opting for the essential service and paying for spark plug change separately. 

As far as I am aware, the air filter is inspected, not changed - even on a standard Lexus service - however, best to double check this with the dealer group. I know that RRG Lexus (Bradford, Bolton and Stockport) change the air filter out simply because my service plan states it as changed and also on the service checklist but I also know that other dealers do not. 

It is worth remembering that the Spark plugs should be changed according to the mileage - so don't change them at 6 years old but only if the car has reached 60k miles. It says this in the service book too. 

I think the big ones are the 60k and 100k. The 80k one is just a standard Full service, so is the 40k one. 

16 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Ok, maybe true for some users, but Lexus have 10k for EVERYONE. I can only go by the BMW I and my colleagues have and they all made 15k, like I said I got 18k.

The only issue with this is the long term damage by not servicing the engine at 10k. I know people with BMW's who serviced at long intervals and people who religiously serviced at 10k. All the 10k cars are fine, the ones left for longer all started burning oil after 4-5 years and for diesels were more likely to have chain issues. Sure you probably don't care if you buy new and don't keep them very long, but it's the main reason i'm very weary of older BMW's.

I'm on a service plan. I rang around several dealerships and my local one matched them. Its £995 I think !!    for three years, however that includes 2 major and 1 minor service. You can pay monthly interest free. 

I don't actually think that's bad value . I fully expect to continue the plan and get the extended warranty .

What miffed me was them asking if I wanted a air con service / filter change  for £95 on a two year old car with 7k on the clock. The filter issue does get me, filters should be included in a service plan and none of this 'change it when its needed stuff.- just change it.

That said I serviced my previous Lexus myself and do likewise with the kids cars, its just that it was bought nearly new at 30% off list price and I argued the toss over a service plan to get even lower. 

I was in the BMW stable for a few years and their conditional service doesn't sit easy with me. The problem is you cant check the oil as they don't have a dipstick:winkiss:  ...

3 hours ago, doog442 said:

I'm on a service plan. I rang around several dealerships and my local one matched them. Its £995 I think !!    for three years, however that includes 2 major and 1 minor service. You can pay monthly interest free. 

I don't actually think that's bad value . I fully expect to continue the plan and get the extended warranty .

What miffed me was them asking if I wanted a air con service / filter change  for £95 on a two year old car with 7k on the clock. The filter issue does get me, filters should be included in a service plan and none of this 'change it when its needed stuff.- just change it.

That said I serviced my previous Lexus myself and do likewise with the kids cars, its just that it was bought nearly new at 30% off list price and I argued the toss over a service plan to get even lower. 

I was in the BMW stable for a few years and their conditional service doesn't sit easy with me. The problem is you cant check the oil as they don't have a dipstick:winkiss:  ...

Ah mate they always say that about the air con service. It's recommended at 2 years but TBH I did my previous RX after 5 years and it honestly didn't need doing because it was blowing cold and not musty. It only lost about 10% refrigerant as well over 5 years.

My RRG service plan has filters included in it btw. It says on the sheet on what's included.

I believe it also gives me free puncture repairs for the family, 10% off all parts, half price MOTs and all filters changed at each service amongst other things

I think the air con service was £59

I thought on a BMW the dipstick was behind the wheel. [emoji1]

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nearly any business person prefers to sell B2B, private customers are the worst type of customers.

Private customers have more rights you mean? At least they pay up front. Only time I've not been paid is B2B.

But I agree, servicing is expensive. But you're not paying for a service, you're paying for the service. You're paying for premises, tools, power, convenience, maybe a car to borrow, wages, pensions, 20% vat, a coffee machine and a receptionist. Clear some of those overheads and servicing is cheaper.

I believe the servicing and sales departments are run as separate entities too. Is that correct?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, doog442 said:

Just got stung for £99 air con service WITHOUT a new filter, had the MOT and intermediate service done at same time too and yet still have the old cabin filter in due to "replace if needed" on the service checklist, ridiculous! Most other makes do this every year. No stamp in the service book either so have to go back another day for that. No internal clean and vacuum. Not too impressed for the cost.