Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing Costs

I was able to run a Hybrid Battery Health Check using Techstream. 

I understand that means nothing in terms of warranty, but to say it's completely different software is not the case. It's universal to Lexus and Toyota. 

Now perhaps they have some other special software and hardware to test it with, in addition or in place of techstream. 

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Be very very wary of Warranty Direct? 

Noooooo. I actually asked them about a warranty for the is300h and with no hesitation they said yes. However I'm a sod to get the right answers and info when the time comes. So till next September I'll not bother looking for an extended warranty. 

I am intrigued tho about getting a warranty on the hybrid system after its had a health check. Is that a free warranty on it or a charged one?

I'l get round to asking lexus that.

Avoid Warranty Direct.  Bunch of sharks.    They are very good at avoiding payouts for anything by quoting small print and classing everything as a ‘wear and tear’ item and not covering it, although the item is listed as being covered in their paperwork.

l

Blimey Neil. Either you or a friend or family member have had a bad experience with Warranty Direct. 

I've been with them years and wirh one car I had the clutch pedal hit the floor and stay there. One call to them got me towed to a garage within an hour. The garage changed the slave cylinder. Got car back 2 days later. No quibbles. Oh dear a week later same again. Car towed to same garage within the hour and a new master cylinder fitted. No quibbles or get out of paying clauses but superb service. I've lots of family and friends with them and a number of claims made and honoured.

My last policy for the Mondeo was their top one which covered everything. 

I will however when the time comes delve within them for my Lexus. 

I wouldn't be suprised if somebody somewhere has had a quibble with All warranty companies. 

At the end of the day you pays your cash and pot luck.

6 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey Neil. Either you or a friend or family member have had a bad experience with Warranty Direct. 

I've been with them years and wirh one car I had the clutch pedal hit the floor and stay there. One call to them got me towed to a garage within an hour. The garage changed the slave cylinder. Got car back 2 days later. No quibbles. Oh dear a week later same again. Car towed to same garage within the hour and a new master cylinder fitted. No quibbles or get out of paying clauses but superb service. I've lots of family and friends with them and a number of claims made and honoured.

My last policy for the Mondeo was their top one which covered everything. 

I will however when the time comes delve within them for my Lexus. 

I wouldn't be suprised if somebody somewhere has had a quibble with All warranty companies. 

At the end of the day you pays your cash and pot luck.

Yes but that's all fairly low cost stuff. The hybrid drivetrain will probably not be covered and Lexus stuff is expensive and difficult to source from elsewhere so it's likely they'll try to scrimp out.

Besides it's not much cheaper so what the point going with Warranty Direct?

23 hours ago, Britprius said:

Toyota have access to Lexus on line, but that is not used anyway for the health check. It is a stand alone piece of equipment. The hybrid systems were developed by Toyota, and the Lexus CT is a Prius as far as the engine and transmission is concerned. All the HV batteries are clearly marked Toyota

I live 55 miles away from the nearest Lexus dealer, and was told by them they were perfectly happy for me to have all service, and recall work done at the Toyota dealer half the distance away, but the same franchise. Often Toyota and Lexus share the same forecourt as in the Wolverhampton branch.

John

Firstly health checks are done online via Techdoc not techstream, which is the diagnostics tool. Toyota techs have toyota accounts therefore a lexus VIN number would not be recognised on that system and would not allow service/repair information and hybrid health checks. Some manager or directors may have access to both in which case it can be done at that garage. Toyota service sheets are also different. It's important to to find out what service check sheet they are following before committing to a garage as you might miss important service items. Agreed the cars are the same as most parts are from the Toyota parts bin, which is pretty much the same as any other manufacturer group.

21 hours ago, Lexman59 said:

When I asked my local Toyota dealer about servicing my Lexus they said no problem with the service but they can’t do the hybrid health check as Toyota and Lexus use completely different software if that’s the right word. 

Different account permissions, same website.

10 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Yes but that's all fairly low cost stuff. The hybrid drivetrain will probably not be covered and Lexus stuff is expensive and difficult to source from elsewhere so it's likely they'll try to scrimp out.

Besides it's not much cheaper so what the point going with Warranty Direct?

Warranty comes down to the garage that inspects it and the conclusion they have come to. In my experience it is very little to do with the warranty company as the inspector will just come and see the car and take some pictures. A HV Battery can be a wear and tear item, but if it is a result of another fault like fuel pump for example, then more often than not they would warranty the lot. It's hit and miss but if you have a good garage that are on your side, its more often warrantied.

2 hours ago, iwonder said:

Warranty comes down to the garage that inspects it and the conclusion they have come to. In my experience it is very little to do with the warranty company as the inspector will just come and see the car and take some pictures. A HV battery can be a wear and tear item, but if it is a result of another fault like fuel pump for example, then more often than not they would warranty the lot. It's hit and miss but if you have a good garage that are on your side, its more often warrantied.

Maybe but im sure they have a higher threshold of approval compared to others in terms of payout

They've got an extremely bad reputation as well. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to find hundreds of disappointed people

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Maybe but im sure they have a higher threshold of approval compared to others in terms of payout

They've got an extremely bad reputation as well. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to find hundreds of disappointed people

If prices were similar I would go with lexus warranty personally but the others aren't too bad. Depends on each case but I would expect inverter and gearbox to be part of any warranty as they dont really suffer wear and tear

Thought I'd post these quotes from Warranty Direct for their LuxuryCare warranty plan where any work would be done at a main dealer.

1yr 453.26

2yr 815.88

3yr 1155.82

LuxuryCare covers All parts.

When and if the time comes for me to decide on an extended warranty I'll probably plumb for the lexus one.

I just posted my thoughts for the perusal of others. 

Hope my Info and thoughts have been of interest. 

In my opinion anyone who considers a third party warranty is off their rocker - Lexus warranty all the way!

Mine is warrantied up to 6 years old - then I'll take my chances and my indie can start servicing it.

Does anyone feel they have good value from the warranty, i.e. Made a significant claim to offset the warranty costs? I still haven't heard of many faults on the 300h, seems fairly bulletproof, I think I'm going to take my chances without the warranty.

2 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Does anyone feel they have good value from the warranty, i.e. Made a significant claim to offset the warranty costs? I still haven't heard of many faults on the 300h, seems fairly bulletproof, I think I'm going to take my chances without the warranty.

A few have but not many. 

I find it quite ironic how people buy a Lexus by factoring in the amazing reliability and then shell out for the warranty on such a new vehicle. 

Ours is 4 years old, granted its only got 15k miles on it but its been bulletproof so far.

• Like 1

Insurance is calculated to not cost them any money. The probability has all been done for you and they pay mathematicians handsomely to work it all out.

Risk of engine or transmission failure may be the biggest risks at what? 6 grand? They charge you 400 pound to insure that risk for one year. For them that is like saying 1 in 14 cars will have to be done to break even. And it doesn't cost them 6k so it's even better for them really. We see nowhere near that.

Kia offer 7 years free. So lexus 3 is a joke.

If you set aside that money for 5 years you'd have 2k saved up. Most warranty claims come nowhere near that I bet.

I'm still undecided with my rc-f. I guess what I will do is not have the warranty. If it goes wrong and needs 6k spending then that will be like buying a used car. I could then sell the car if I had to.

Remember it's only part of the warranty too. Isn't the corrosion warranty much longer?

It's a bit like pet insurance, I don't have it. Biggest vet bill so far 600 quid. Amount not spent on insurance 1600 ish. 1000 more for me.

Note the warranty stops at 10 years? About the time you might need it and not want to spend 2k repairing a 4k car.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Putting monies aside is great as long as one doesn't require to call upon it in the early period. 

Insurance/warranty is peace of mind, be it car, house or pet. For me that is worth the 'expense'. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

Putting monies aside is great as long as one doesn't require to call upon it in the early period. 

Insurance/warranty is peace of mind, be it car, house or pet. For me that is worth the 'expense'. 

Me too.

6 hours ago, rayaans said:

A few have but not many. 

I find it quite ironic how people buy a Lexus by factoring in the amazing reliability and then shell out for the warranty on such a new vehicle. 

Ours is 4 years old, granted its only got 15k miles on it but its been bulletproof so far.

My thoughts also, not hearing from anyone with major faults, the  IS300h is few years old now and a lot of car must be close to 100k, very few reports of thing going wrong.

The cost of the warranty is fairly ok, particularly when you include the AA cover, what did it for me was the 10 k service interval, I do about 15k a year. I've decided to go non warranty but still get Lexus to do service once a year, ok millage will be over but a least it will have LFSH, no warranty to worry about so ok to go over the 10k. Mine was a Business vehicle which is allowed 12.5k, 13.5k if you count the 1k or 1 month over you can go, so I'll only 1500 miles extra, not much considering I do long motorway runs, i'll take the risk. Having a warranty and above average millage is just too expensive for me.

If I go for essential service when it is over 4 years old, do they stamp the service book? Is it much cheaper?

8 minutes ago, Casa1862 said:

My thoughts also, not hearing from anyone with major faults, the  IS300h is few years old now and a lot of car must be close to 100k, very few reports of thing going wrong.

The cost of the warranty is fairly ok, particularly when you include the AA cover, what did it for me was the 10 k service interval, I do about 15k a year. I've decided to go non warranty but still get Lexus to do service once a year, ok millage will be over but a least it will have LFSH, no warranty to worry about so ok to go over the 10k. Mine was a Business vehicle which is allowed 12.5k, 13.5k if you count the 1k or 1 month over you can go, so I'll only 1500 miles extra, not much considering I do long motorway runs, i'll take the risk. Having a warranty and above average millage is just too expensive for me.

If I go for essential service when it is over 4 years old, do they stamp the service book? Is it much cheaper?

Essential service is cheaper yes. Whether they stamp the book or not depends on the dealer but they do give a certificate if not.

Most dealers just tend to stamp the book because its easier and then just write "Essential Service" underneath the stamp

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Insurance is calculated to not cost them any money. The probability has all been done for you and they pay mathematicians handsomely to work it all out.

Risk of engine or transmission failure may be the biggest risks at what? 6 grand? They charge you 400 pound to insure that risk for one year. For them that is like saying 1 in 14 cars will have to be done to break even. And it doesn't cost them 6k so it's even better for them really. We see nowhere near that.

Kia offer 7 years free. So lexus 3 is a joke.

If you set aside that money for 5 years you'd have 2k saved up. Most warranty claims come nowhere near that I bet.

I'm still undecided with my rc-f. I guess what I will do is not have the warranty. If it goes wrong and needs 6k spending then that will be like buying a used car. I could then sell the car if I had to.

Remember it's only part of the warranty too. Isn't the corrosion warranty much longer?

It's a bit like pet insurance, I don't have it. Biggest vet bill so far 600 quid. Amount not spent on insurance 1600 ish. 1000 more for me.

Note the warranty stops at 10 years? About the time you might need it and not want to spend 2k repairing a 4k car.

Kia offer 7 years because they need something to actually entice buyers as the cars themselves aren't desirable or great to drive. Of course there is the odd exception like the Stinger but then you're paying handsome money for it.

Yep, can see the other side.

But..... It's more likely an accident will cost more than warranty and be more likely to happen. Yet insurance is cheaper than warranty.

My point being warranty is not great value.

2 minutes ago, Comedian said:

My point being warranty is not great value.

That's your opinion based on no experience Sean.  Your car is only a couple of years old, so very unlikely to suffer a major failure.

When I had my two ISs, they were 6 and 7 years old and in both cases my claims value exceeded the cost of the warranty.  Comprehensive AA cover and peace of mind came totally free with both vehicles.

My current RX is approaching 5 years old and I have the Lexus warranty on it.  I have home contents insurance too, but in both instances I'd prefer not to have to claim.

Kia offer 7 years because they need something to actually entice buyers as the cars themselves aren't desirable or great to drive. Of course there is the odd exception like the Stinger but then you're paying handsome money for it.
People used to say that about Japanese cars.

Can't really compare Kia to lexus. More like Kia 5 year v Toyota 5 year. If the issue is emissions or safety, Toyota/lexus will perform field fixes for free if you stay in the main dealer network or do a recall. You don't get that with other companies nearly as much as they should.