Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New IS250 Owner - a couple of questions

Evening All, 

I picked up a 59 reg IS250 SE-L on Monday. Really enjoying it at the moment, but I have a couple of questions:

- I have used Spotify on my mobile through the aux port. Has anyone else noticed how the stereo highlights the variable quality of songs on Spotify? I had to keep adjusting the bass - the same settings had some songs sounding flat and others with far too much bass. At first of all I thought there was something wrong with it, but having tried an 'original' CD, I think it's OK. I know there are a few threads about the subs blowing - but I assume there wouldn't be any bass or a terrible noise if that was the case. 

- Mine has 71k on it and I would like to change the gearbox oil. I know it's supposedly sealed for life and draining it only removes about 1/4 of the fluid, but as this is the last 'normal' V6 Lexus sold in the UK, I intend to keep it a while. I've looked at a couple of threads, but has anyone in the Bristol area used anyone to drain/fill? The Lexus dealer I brought it from refused flat to contemplate changing it. 

- I've also noticed a rattle around the front of the door/right side of the dash in the corner. Is there a 'common' rattle here? If so, any ideas how to get rid of it? 

Many thanks! 

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to LOC, I did get the oil changed on my 220d by a non Lexus dealer using the OE oil.  Didn't seem to make any difference to the drive .  My 220D had 105k and there was a little idler gear chatter on idle but not much when cold. Same reaction from my Lexus dealer when I bought my F Sport, said absolutely not, its lot leaking either but did check the level. A ok.   Rattles on the o/s door ? Neither of mine have but this site has some very knowledgeable owners and sure someone will advise you.  Stereo wise , mine plays all sources well so maybe its a quirk of the mobile ?  Someone here will have had the issue but not me. Good luck with your 250, enjoy.

• Like 1

Welcome Matt,

I can't really comment on the gearbox oil since I have never had it done, but I did have a rattle until recently (hopefully!).

It can be tricky to diagnose, but my local dealer has had a go at fixing it.

Basically, I had a rattle appear after having my dash taken out for the air bag recall.  I then noticed a sound similar to what you describe.  Now, I have only had the car back since yesterday, so it is too early to be sure, but the dealer claims that the technician heard the noise and has now taken care of it.  Anyway, he said it was actually the instrument binnacle that was making the noise and he had put some padding around the clips to solve it.

Not exactly sure how helpful this is for you. :smile:  Perhaps other on here might have similar experiences that could help.

Also, pictures of your new ride are always encouraged :smile:

• Like 1

I work in audio, and there is astonishing variation in the technical quality of music available online, so the good news is that it's probably not a fault with your car's music system, but more likely to be poor production and mastering, or over-zealous data compression (how they make lots of detailed audio data fit into relatively tiny files...). So don't panic ! 

I am taking delivery of my first Lexus this weekend (2007 IS250), and part of my test drive procedure was an extensive test of the audio system (it's a Mark Levinson upgraded system). Tried it with 2 or 3 different types of music, and have to say it was rather impressive....

From your comments I assume the gearbox is auto? Changing fluid in an auto compared with a manual box is a completely different kettle of fish.

Actually I have intended for a while to change mine - I have a can of WS fluid waiting - but on the whole I think I probably won't bother and I think I'd advise you not to either, at least for a considerable mileage yet and then only if the shift quality deteriorates (which it is very unlikely to have done at 71K). If the changes become slow or don't happen when you expect, or if you get some other gearbox fault (unlikely, but has been reported) then it might be worth doing. It won't happen until well past 100K.

Meanwhile, leave well alone!

The IS250 dash can be a bit rattly, the usual cure is to insert some foam strips between the window and dash - although if your car is subject to the air bag recall, you could ask the dealer to have a look while they're doing the airbag work?

Thanks for the responses guys. Should have said - it's an auto. 

I'll have a look and see if I can pinpoint the rattle. I originally thought it was coming from the door card, but now I'm not so sure. 

Yeah, unfortunately the Gen 3 ones were more than I wanted to spend. Isn't it the same engine/gearbox though? 

Hello  Matt,

I am bit late to the party, but here are my opinion:

1. there is button which evens out sound loudness (at least on non-ML, but I am sure ML does it at well). Does help for me listening mp3 from phone, thought obviously it doesn't cure it 100%. You cannot expect to hear what is "not there" in case of "flat" sound of low bit-rate audio.

2. You right saying it meant to be "lifetime" fill, however it is possible to refresh it - Lexus has cheated previous owner and started refreshing it from 40k miles. To be clear - that is not necessary, the fill definitely is good for at least 60k miles and only needs minor "refreshes" afterwards. There is no such thing as all out "draining/replacement" of oil as is the case in manual gearboxes and therefore nobody does replacement, only refreshes.

3. There are few rattles around dash, I guess you need to be more specific on this one.

P.S. last V6 Lexus was mk3 IS250 2013-2014.

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I guess Matt means non-hybrid/petrol only. Because otherwise GS450h mk4 and LC500h counts as well.

The last non-hybrid may of been the GS250. They were still trying to sell the last few off last year.

GS250 mk4 was introduced before IS250 mk3 (2012 and 2013 respectively) and discontinued around same time (2014), making IS250 mk3 last car to be introduced with this engine. In terms when the last was sold you probably right - that might have been GS250... no surprise, because it must have beens hard to sell.