Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

450h preparation and precautions for welding

Sorry for another question, but just dawned on me that I'm not clued up as to the precautions needed before welding on the 450h.

She's having the exhaust y piece replaced tomorrow, and I want to ensure they don't cook anything in the process. Sure they know what they are doing, and say they did a 450h just a week ago (powerflow norwich), but I want to know what they should do, so I'm not stood waiting worrying.

I believe the traction Battery simply needs unplugging via the hole in boot orange connector. But is there anything else?

Also, having never disconnected the traction Battery, are they are events I'll encounter when reconnecting? Ie will I need to reset anything, enter codes etc. Keen to not be stuck there as didn't bring a code or know what to press etc.

Cheers all

14 hours ago, Upex said:

Sorry for another question, but just dawned on me that I'm not clued up as to the precautions needed before welding on the 450h.

She's having the exhaust y piece replaced tomorrow, and I want to ensure they don't cook anything in the process. Sure they know what they are doing, and say they did a 450h just a week ago (powerflow norwich), but I want to know what they should do, so I'm not stood waiting worrying.

I believe the traction battery simply needs unplugging via the hole in boot orange connector. But is there anything else?

Also, having never disconnected the traction battery, are they are events I'll encounter when reconnecting? Ie will I need to reset anything, enter codes etc. Keen to not be stuck there as didn't bring a code or know what to press etc.

Cheers all

I would just disconnect the 12 volt Battery This alone will completely isolate the high voltage Battery as there are three large contactors that isolate the HV Battery when the ignition is off. Removing the 12 volt supply stops any chance of these being pulled in connecting the HV Battery to the car.

If you must pull the HV link putting it back correctly is where everyone goes wrong. After closing the lever the whole thing has to be moved sideways to complete the operation. Failing to do this will give a red light and a fault code, and failer to go to ready.

Powerflow will probably remove the rear exhaust section to replace the "Y" piece. This only require undoing two bolts, and slipping it from the rubber hangers. On a ramp takes five minutes if that. They will then be able to cut and weld it off the car without the difficulty of things being in the way.

You will have to reset the auto close windows, and sun roof if you have one. You radio may also loose it's program setting, tone settings, and phone choice if you have more than one phone in the memory. That' about it.

John.

• Like 1

Cheers Jon.

Think they did disconnect the 12v, as lost the windows, but soonroof and radio, trip etc remained.

Either way, done now and a shiny new y piece fitted lol. Car a bit quieter and I think a little better mpg, but that's only based on one journey.

Thanks

• Like 2

Robert.

One less thing to worry about for the MOT. If you do not mind sharing how much did they charge for replacing the "Y" piece. 

Do not forget to check your phone still links automatically when turning the car on. I found with my car disconnecting the 12 volt Battery looses the auto connect so that I have to go into the menu, and choose the phone to connect to the first time after re connecting the Battery. The actual phones however are not erased from the memory.

John

Will check that out and report back John.

The y piece was 120, is clamped to the single existing piece at front (bottom of the y) and then has flanges for both the rear exhaust joints. Yeah, 1 of 4 fails sorted.

Thanks for the input and help.

• Like 1