Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had the genuine Lexus side protectors fitted on Friday, painted to match the car. I can't decide whether I like them or not. Part of me likes the fact that they break up the rather 'slab-sided' looks. The other part of me thinks they spoil the overall design and they aren't in line with the looks the designers intended! :wacko:

Regardless, the car is parked in a work car park every day, so these are an essential to try and avoid damage. I can't see that any other members have these - thoughts? 

fullsizeoutput_2ae.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ac.jpeg

• Like 1

Done it on mine as soon as it arrived, couple of tins from Halfords made to the correct colour, primer and clear coat. As you say, it breaks up the slab sides. I also done the same with my IS300h, but that time sourced them ready painted from the U.S.

Not really a fan of those - spoils the overall look IMO.

I don't get the door edge protectors either - I've never had an edge chip in 20 years of motoring as I'm in the habit of sticking one finger around the door if against a wall in the garage etc. 

I also told the kids not to open the doors (and was very stern) and told the wife to be careful or else I'll burn the handbags in my woodburner.

Additionally, whilst the front doors of a car parked next to your NX may hit the door ding protector, the rear door of that said car would hit the wheel archs or something else.

Not really a fan as the Painted side protectors were standard on my IS 300 but I accidentally scratched one of them & ended up buying a replacement fitted for free.

Protection strips look superb, my wife 's Bi-Tone Yaris has chrome but offer nothing themselves as we park to protect them if that makes sense !

Tel

Must admit I'm not a fan of the side protectors. IMO they're not the correct angle and therefore don't match the angular nature of the body shape at the bottom of the doors. Only my opinion remember, but the appearance is in the eye of the beholder!

If it protects against annoying dints it is good. How would they look if they were put on at the same angle as the contours at the bottom of the doors? Possibly they would not then do the job they are made for.

I tend to agree about the looks. Whilst they don't offend me, the car looks better without them. However, I'd be far more irritated by dings on the sides, so for me - as with all my previous cars - it's a price worth paying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Sybaris said:

So my local Lexus dealer quoted something like £450 plus fitting and I thought perhaps not to do this.

Guess what.  Some **** has put a couple of scratches on my door.

Ouch. Sorry to hear this. I paid for Smart Cover on mine and I've had two repairs done now. Best £399 I ever spent I think given it's covered for three years from purchase date. Guess you could get your scratches repaired for less than £450 and also my £399 though?

22 hours ago, Sybaris said:

So my local Lexus dealer quoted something like £450 plus fitting and I thought perhaps not to do this.

Guess what.  Some **** has put a couple of scratches on my door.

Dan I've a copy of the fitting instructions if you want to see how difficult they're to fit yourself if your in to diy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, paulrnx said:

Ouch. Sorry to hear this. I paid for Smart Cover on mine and I've had two repairs done now. Best £399 I ever spent I think given it's covered for three years from purchase date. Guess you could get your scratches repaired for less than £450 and also my £399 though?

I have the smart cover on mine, is it an easy process to make claims. I wanted to get a dink touched up on my door. But reading through the fine print it seemed like they would have classed it as something not covered under the cover.

The best thing to do is to just try to make a claim. Easy painless thing to do. You have to fill out an online claim and send photos of the damage too. Worked for me but I'm aware that not every panel is covered for every type of damage. Worth making a claim because you have nothing to lose. Worse thing that can happen is they say no.