Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 55 reg LS430 which I will be selling now after 2 happy years of driving.

My thoughts
Fast, luxurious, spacious, super quiet, relaxing.

I came from a 2011 BMW 5 series touring and I wasn't sad when I bought the Lexus. The Lexus was faster and quieter than the BMW. The only compromise was av. 45mpg in the BMW and av. 25mpg in the Lexus. It was more smiles in the Lexus [emoji16]

Can't comment on the GS

I liked both the ls430 and the mk3 Gs300. I loved the v8 engine of the ls430,  it was so quiet and smooth, so many gadgets to play with, but the only reason for selling the ls430 was I was worried about the air suspension and gearbox failing as they are very costly but drive wise the car is brilliant. The Gs300 is a lovely car too, direct injection so fuel wise it was good too, I remember driving from Birmingham to London in it and I was averaging 43mpg but then again I don't have a heavy foot and the most I got in the ls430 was 39mpg again I don't have a heavy foot. Both are nice but if it was me I would probably go for a Gs300 and that's only because of the costly repairs of the ls430 but they are nice cars. The gs300 mk3 is chain driven too. What ever car you decide to get, make sure it has a good service history and the cambelt in the ls430 has been done.

As nice as the LS430 to me they feel like a ticking time bomb with air suspension worries, gearbox worries (this is what finished mine off), what happens is the oil cooler for the tranny is fixed to the bottom of the radiator and the radiator rusts allowing coolant into the gearbox oil which messes the gearbox, many owners replace the radiator but just make sure you aren’t shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted, steering adjust motors are a common failure point, double glazing delamination, speakers can blow especially subwoofer,.rear climate pipes can corrode, heated and cooled seats are very ineffective on these.

I had a mk2 GS430 and that was a great car, never had a problem with it, really fast, smooth and quiet, a real wolf in sheeps clothing, could do 33mpg on motorway and 23-24mpg day to day. I haven’t driven a GS300 though. I changed the GS430 for an LS430 and wish I hadn’t!!! 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 10:03 PM, tel999 said:

I am tempted by a 2005 LS430 with 125K

Why not check out the LS400's, very robust & 125k means it's just about 'run in', I never heard of one having engine probs at all & you don't have the air suspension worry, you can always check out the underside to a reasonable extent on DVLA MOT history, suggest you do that anyway.

If I were looking for a 400 I would definatly travel to look at this one, theres no mention on any of the mot's about rust or corrosion on the underneath & the car does not seem to have done many miles between MOT's, air con needs regassing thats all......

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/lexus-ls400-v8-4.0-litre/1266084824