Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220d, to buy or not to buy

I am considering to buy a 2009 lexus 220d with 110.000 km done from a dealer.

I see some of the 220d has some problems, but few post the age of their car so i was wondering if this model contain some of the same problems? Mainly head gasket and egr.

Have recently test driven it and im quite happy on how it performs.

I would suggest you have a good read of the issues on the diesel Lexus models from the owners on this web site. Dealers will of course tell you its a fantastic car as they want to sell it.

I have not had one of the diesels so cant really comment but from what I have seen from user issues then look for an IS250

• Like 2

Sadly is 250 is quite rare it seems and i havent seen one for sale in my country for a while. Im also more fan of a manual and those 250s are even rarer

9 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

I would suggest you have a good read of the issues on the diesel Lexus models from the owners on this web site. Dealers will of course tell you its a fantastic car as they want to sell it.

I have not had one of the diesels so cant really comment but from what I have seen from user issues then look for an IS250

I would second that statement. In a few months, you may be saying its the worst car you have owned. 

• Like 1

Gotta chip in here and say please do lots of homework before getting the DERV version, Lexus were running with the flock back when the motor manufactures were let's say encouraged to make diesel versions of their range and unfortunately the D version was the worst car Lexus ever put their badge on, no surprise they were one of the first to discontinue diesel options. So again please do more research and don't get disillusioned with the Lexus brand when you have got a troublesome diesel! ( for troublesome read expensive to maintain)

Also Lexus are renowned for the silky smooth auto boxes and to choose to have a manual does detract slightly from the whole Lexus ethos I feel. ( just my opinion, and the diesel was manual only-tells you something right there, I guess that Lexus wish that the diesel were badged with a completely different name altogether back on the day!)

my two penneth worth,

paul m.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

2 hours ago, madasahatter said:

I would second that statement. In a few months, you may be saying its the worst car you have owned. 

I fully agree with the above.

I had a 220d some time back. Had to have new engine,egr and dpf within 3 months of ownership. Not a particularly good start. Only consider a diesel if you are doing serious mile munching on the motor way network. Most auto 250's will return a very similar mileage. 

The gearbox in the diesel is a bit 'agricultural' and the ratios are a bit odd. I found 6th utterly useless unless you can do above 85mph.

I now have a Auto 250 (had it for quite a few years) every day I drive it is an absolute pleasure. Try a 250 Auto. I think you'll be amazed. I get 31mpg around town and 36 to 40 on an extended run. Not too shabby for a Auto V6!!

Good luck with your search, try as many as you can .... be patient and get the car you want not what some dealer wants you to have. I'd say get a 250 auto ... but I will freely admit I am biased that way.

• Like 1

I had a messa red IS220d Sport or 5 years. I did have something, EGR maybe?, replaced under warranty apart from that I didn't have any problems that I can remember. The Sport has different gear ratios so the sixth gear is more useful as you can use it at a lower speed. In its favour the diesel has loads of torque and was fast and responsive.

Not to buy and not fit to wear the Lexus badge.

You will run into egr and dpf issues in no time and that' if your lucky. The d4d engine is dreadful and unreliable. Head gaskets blow left right and centre.

I found fuel consumption very poor for a diesel. In act I get slightly better mpg in my 250 V6 petrol which is a much better car and I suggest if you can find one for sale, buy it.

You might get lucky and not have any problems with the 220d. However,  I would strongly suggest that you heed the advice of other members on here and take your time and find a nice IS250, you most definitely won't regret it.

There are plenty of threads on here outlining all of the problems associated with the car.  As I say, you might just get lucky, better still, don't take the chance.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.

Second Geoff's post 

Hold out for a 250 - I would not want to think that because you cant get a 250 that you would settle for a 220. They are such different cars.

Doesn't the fact that you cant find a 250 but can find a 220 suggest that the 250 is more desirable?

I would say same as others, do your homework. I've got one and had it for nearly 2 years and only ever had the egr valve go on my one. Passed both mots without any advisories. Yeah mpg not too good, I get 35mpg but my one has done nearly 160,000 miles and still going strong. I love my car [emoji16]1b9be6881029c73263316014d7fbc78e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KErskine said:

I would say same as others, do your homework. I've got one and had it for nearly 2 years and only ever had the egr valve go on my one. Passed both mots without any advisories. Yeah mpg not too good, I get 35mpg but my one has done nearly 160,000 miles and still going strong. I love my car emoji16.png1b9be6881029c73263316014d7fbc78e.jpg

Nice colour - don't see many of them in that colour

• Like 1

Here is a 220d   Owners first post! 

Not the best way to get introduced into a owners club forum but hopefully ends well. (The problem will not arise with 250.)

I had a 220d for 2 months, quickly swapped it for a Is250 even tho i had to pay abit too much. 220d never again.

But yeah, do research on the forums/Internet. when the 220d is working properly its a great car! but i still dont think its worth buying cause of all the problems.

I had is220d for 2yrs was nice to drive but only had front calipers replaced cleaned egr myself dpf blocked had it cleaned,gearbox replaced under warranty but dmf was noisy just got used to it had no problem with head gasket or 5th injector maybe I was lucky loool Sold it with 93k on clock. Had is250 for nearly 2 yrs now much better than is220d, wouldn't really buy any diesel now as don't do enough miles. Before you buy do your research depends how many miles you do????

22 hours ago, KErskine said:

I would say same as others, do your homework. I've got one and had it for nearly 2 years and only ever had the egr valve go on my one. Passed both mots without any advisories. Yeah mpg not too good, I get 35mpg but my one has done nearly 160,000 miles and still going strong. I love my car emoji16.png1b9be6881029c73263316014d7fbc78e.jpg

I love my IS200d .... best car I've had by a mile (prefer it to my wifes Rx450h).

3 years in, other than normal servicing (do myself), only had front shocks done.  The car has creaky plastic & thin paintwork, but that's the same for all IS's ...other than that is it superb, quiet, comfortable. Never had a problem in MOT's and servicing is typical Toyota easy (ignoring the fuel filter).

I get 40-50 mpg, depending how fast the motorway lets me go, don't hang around...  have to drive in a lower gear than you first think, but soon get used to it.

IS200D Is a different engine to the 220d. I Loved my IS220D it was a 2006 model and had 160000 on it when I sold it, however I had to have the DPF cleaned and regularly removed the EGR valve to clean it (maybe twice a year). I Do about 500 miles a week long motorway journeys' and all though probably better for the car it still gunged up and wasn't much better on the MPG than my mates IS250. I strongly suggest you wait out till a nice 250 pops up and an auto would be ideal the manual gearbox in the diesel is useless and makes no sense.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 9:25 AM, Joern said:

I am considering to buy a 2009 lexus 220d with 110.000 km done from a dealer.

Unless you doing 20+ k miles and spend 90% on motorways definitely - DO NOT BUY. Even so IS250 is not that much more thirsty @70MPH+, it is overall more reliable and much more fun to drive. That it is from dealer makes no difference what so ever. That said diesel would still have edge on @55-65MPH cruising on A roads and some motorways, but that is sole area where it has advantages.

BTW IS200d and IS220d has identical engines, just ECU is de-tuned on IS200d and it has upgraded head gasket - that apparently reduces the possibility of head gasket failure.

Hi Joern, is220d owner here. Had car 7months now. Lovely car to be in I have the se-l spec. I had a Toyota Corolla for fifteen years no problems until engine went south. Bought my is and every week or so I get the eml vsc triangle lights on.

common problem if you search about it. It goes off after 3 restart of engine but pops up every week or so. Fault code to do with dpf threshold. Just living with it because car never goes into limp mode. Motorway use doesn't seem to make it happy.

next car for me will be is250 auto I suggest you find one. Wish could afford a gs though. Save yourself a lot of frustration go for an is250. Love Lexus love the is just hate so many lights popping up on my one.