Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just completed an oil change today - bought this oil catch can from eBay last week and gave it a go - found it a lot easier to use than the old 6 litre tub I had from Halfords. This holds 16 litres which is more then enough - slid under the car nicely.

The spout on it is especially handy as it fits in the top of the used oil tubs so you can empty the oil into them with no mess.

IMAG1017.thumb.jpg.e13252215c35af9d711b58edc18609f6.jpg

• Like 1

That looks exactly like the one I have, but I have had no end of trouble with that spout, so much so I have considered cutting it short for next time. I must be doing it wrong!

I'm 95% likely to get an IS250 next, so I'm curious, is the oil filter easily accessible using normal domestic ramps, etc? 

I use two ramps - normal ones (I think the height is 1foot max) - no problem getting under to change - there is a plastic panel to remove first then the oil filter housing is visible. Special tool is required to remove the oil filter.

Oil drain plug is further back from the filter but no hassle with the car on the ramps. I am pretty sure that a 14mm socket is required to take the drain plug off (in any case its a standard sized nut)

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

I use two ramps - normal ones (I think the height is 1foot max) - no problem getting under to change - there is a plastic panel to remove first then the oil filter housing is visible. Special tool is required to remove the oil filter.

Oil drain plug is further back from the filter but no hassle with the car on the ramps. I am pretty sure that a 14mm socket is required to take the drain plug off (in any case its a standard sized nut)

That's reassuring, thanks. The oil filter on my IS is difficult from above or below, a real pain. 

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Just completed an oil change today - bought this oil catch can from ebay last week and gave it a go - found it a lot easier to use than the old 6 litre tub I had from Halfords. This holds 16 litres which is more then enough - slid under the car nicely.

The spout on it is especially handy as it fits in the top of the used oil tubs so you can empty the oil into them with no mess.

IMAG1017.thumb.jpg.e13252215c35af9d711b58edc18609f6.jpg

Question? Is that oil as Black and contaminated as it looks? Or is it a trick of the light?

I would expect it to be Guiness like if you had a 220D but a clean living SE-L no, what sort of mileage/type of driving have you done since last oil change?

I intend changing my oil every 5,000 miles ( which could amount to 18 months some times) and don't expect it to come out looking like yours!

paul m.