Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX Tyres

I bit the bullet and had 4 Michelin Cross Climates fitted yesterday. They have only just become available in the NX size and from what I read they are highly recommended, some say the best tyre for all the year round.  Although most people refer to them as a 'all season tyre', Michelin say they are a summer tyre with winter capability. The cost was £630 fitted.  They are rated 'B' for fuel efficiency, 'B' for wet grip and 69 for noise emissIon.  Too early to say too much now,  I will report back how I find them in a few weeks, but first indications are good. I certainly feel more confident in wet or icy conditions. 

• Like 1

I've also ordered CrossClimateSUVs rather than go down the winter/summer tyre route, and they're going on next week (£630 is a lot cheaper than I was quoted through my Lexus dealer ..).  They sound like an ideal OEM tyre for the NX.  

I used Merityre.

Cross Climates came into stock for the first time, I think it was November, but then very quickly there were none in the UK all trhough Dec and early Jan. I think they must have underestimated the demand. I kept asking dealers but they all said just keep checking, nobody would take an order oddly enough. So I contacted Michelin in France and they told me their approved dealer in the UK was Merityre and they would take an order. In fact I ordered online to get the best price and the next day I had a phone call from Merityre's HO saying they were due to arrive at UK stockists on Monday of this week but they would phone to confirm that. They did and I had them fitted yesterday.

I did get Lexus to quote on some Michelin Tour HP's late last year but they were quite a bit more than I knew I could get elsewhere. That was before I heard the Cross Climates were going to be made in 225/60/R18's so I waited to see if that did happen as they do get great reviews. Although it is fair to say the Tour HP's would have been good as well.  I like the fact that it is a summer tyre with very good wet grip, let's face it we do get a lot of rain here in the UK, more that we ever used to it seems. I also like the fact that they perform so well in snow, not that I see much of that in the south, but it is nice to know if we do get some my car won't be sliding all over the place. I have seen the reviews on YouTube and on snow they perform almost as well as winter tyres. Living in the south of England I really did not think having two sets of tyres a practical option. If I lived in the highlands or similar then maybe, but these CC's will I am sure fit the bill. Give me a few weeks and I will let you know how I get on with them, but so far they seem good. 

Each to their own, my preference is winter/summer sets but that is not everyones wish and I can respect that.

I have recommended Michelin Cross Climates to 2 people as they just wanted one set oftyres.  They are getting a lot of good reviews.  Just youtube them and see how good they are.

I think next winter I might change my winters for Dunlop Winter Sport 5s but to be honest I could last another season or 2 on my current Hankooks.

Funny thing is that when I bought them, reviews were raving about them. 2 winters on and now they have fallen to average.

• Like 1

Agreed. My son lives just a few miles away from me and always puts on winter tyres as he has a job that makes it imperative he can get to work. Being retired it is not so important to me. I think Cross Climates will cope well enough in most snow for me, but if it is really heavy snow then winter tyres are still the best option. I have another mate who lives in the highlands so always uses winter tyres, and has always been able to get to work even in quite heavy snow falls. his biggest problem is getting around stranded cars on summer tyres, LOL.  The trouble is summer tyres cannot cope with even a small  layer of snow, we all know this, but for most UK drivers it is such a rare event they stick to what works best for 95% of the year. I think the manufacturers realise that most UK drivers may be prepared to buy all season tyres but not both summer and winter ones. So I expect to see improved all season tyres and a larger choice become available in the coming years. Of course if we have a real bad winter (which is overdue) then maybe things will change more quickly. 

• Like 1

I'm going to get a set of the Falken 449 EuroWinters. Had them for my CRV and they were an excellent Winter tyre at a reasonable price.

I already have a spare set of new OEM wheels but will probably now wait until next Autumn to purchase and fit the tyres. Cue 6ft of snow next month...:biggrin:

I’ve spent some time on the “net” looking for Michelin Cross Climate for my NX 300H Premier - 225 60 R18 100H - but cannot find this size. Can anyone put some light on this and possibly advice on stockists.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Zoot1948
Mistake on info I gave.

40 minutes ago, Zoot1948 said:

I’ve spent some time on the “net” looking for Michelin Cross Climate for my NX 300H Premier - 225 69 R18 100H - but cannot find this size. Can anyone put some light on this and possibly advice on stockists.

Many thanks in advance.

Maybe because you putting wrong size in. Should it not be 225 60 R18 100H

Yep you are correct, I’ve put the wrong size in my request on the club site. I certainly put the correct size in my web search. Thanks for noticing. Post now edited with correct info.

Edited by Zoot1948
Correction

@Goggy thanks for the info, these are the ones recommended by Michelin. The size I quoted is the one on the existing tyres when I bought the car as a demonstrator from Lexus. The car was 6 months old.

I’ve now found (hopefully) a supplier for the W (104) tyres.

Just had two new Michelin Cross Climate tyres supplied and fitted locally. £302 for the two. Did 118 miles on them today and found the grip on dry and wet roads to be good and noticed (hope it’s not just imagination) the ride was noticeably quieter.

Early days on my CrossClimates, but I agree about reduced road noise and a slightly more compliant ride. I sense a slight loss of sharpness on turning into corners, but nothing major. Have yet to try them on snow/ice, though the weather for the next few days may present an opportunity.

I agree, they are quieter, quite a bit too. I did not expect to notice it that much but it was obvious straight away. Although it us early days I also feel the car is more compliant, it seems to be easier to steer where you want it to go (so opposite to what you found martin) . The car seems to be better planted on the road too. There is a sharp bend near where I live which slopes away as you turn, which I was always very cautious of as I felt the car lose grip several times before, but it takes it with ease now, so I am feeling much more confident. It may be slightly less firm too, not by very much, but just enough to be noticeable. No heavy rain or snow yet, in fact we may not see snow this year in the south. So as I say early days, but so far so good. 

• 2 weeks later...

My rears have done 34k now and although still a fair bit of tread left I think I'm going to replace them. Have new Goodyears on the front and OE Yokohamas on the rear and I want to experience the same quiet, planted and compliant feeling I have at the front on the rears. This will also get rid of a slight shimmy I have through the floor of the car as a result of slightly uneven wear on the rears (they have signs of 'stepping'. I'd also prefer the same tyre on all four corners.

On 23/01/2018 at 6:39 PM, Sybaris said:

The Michelin were more  expensive and at the time it was over my  budget but I went for them and have no regrets, infact they are a bit more hard wearing.

Just ordered a front pair of michelin cross climates £149 a tyre

Would be awesome if we could get decent tyres for the RX

The cheapest decent tyre is the Bridgestone dueler H/L 33 at £188!

Yoko Advan Sport is cheaper but I dont think I want Yoko's tbh

I got a puncture in one of my Yokohamas that couldn't be repaired so I got 4 Michelin Cross Climates as I wanted shut of those awful Yokohamas anyway. Not cheap but worth it. I don't slide on corners in damp conditions anymore. Got mine from http://blackboots.co.uk as they balance the wheels on the bolt holes instead of the cosmetic centre hole which most places use. 

18 hours ago, Sybaris said:

What size does the RX take?

235/55 r20. 

A very awkward size. 

The previous gen had a good range of tyres available as the size was used on other vehicles - 235/55 r19.

Have run all my previous Jaguar XFs on winter tyres between November and early March. Made a huge difference on cold wet days, the cars felt planted and not skittish like they were on normal tyres as the temperature dropped, mind you they all wore 20" rubber bands. My NX doesn't feel anywhere near as bad though and always feels planted. Been ok in the snow too this winter. I reckon once I change the rears to sames the fronts (Goodyear EfficientGrip) the car will be fine in cold weather and snow. Not as good as winter tyres for sure but probably good enough for what I need. I fully support anyone who swaps to winter tyres, the difference in grip is amazing.

So today I've had fitted two new Michelin cross-climates on the front,

the road noise has been really reduced and the ride quality seems better, the grip was always going to feel better as my old tyre's were as good as slicks