Matt96

Is250 knocking when braking and steering

I have owned my is250 2011 for 1 year now. Full main dealer history. 58000 miles. Main service has been done. Over the last few months when braking and steering at a low speed there are a couple of clunks that sound like they are coming from the front drivers side wheel. I look it to lexus Hatfield and under warranty they replaced the shock absorber and top mount. The car seemed to be ok for a while but not long ago the clunk noise has appeared again. It also only happens when the engine has warmed up. Some people have suggested the pads are moving but the pads and discs are reasonably new so shouldn't be moving yet. Any ideas 

I have a similar issue, but I would describe mine as more of a 'click' then a clunk.

I never noticed whether it was only when the car was warm or not, although if it is brakes then the engine temperature should be irrelevant?

Anyway, as you say, my local dealer also suggested that it is my pads moving.  In my case, the brakes are relatively new, and it only started happening after I had my calipers replaced.

Lexus wanted £120 to replace them, but I found the springs cheaper here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS-IS200d-IS220d-IS250-2006-2013-FRONT-Brake-Pad-Disc-Fitting-Hardware-Kit-/302477580911?

It should also be simple to fit, and if I hadn't recently had back surgery I would have fitted them myself by now.

Your pads will move, especially if they are non oem ones. They do have a bit of play which you can especially hear when braking while moving forward and then reversing and breaking.

You could put a good smear of copper ease on the shims and both pad backs - this should stop it I would expect as it would act as a lubricant (for lack of a better word)

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but there was copper grease applied to mine and it didn't help.  That is when it was suggested that the pad retaining springs were weak and allowed the pads to move.

Although, in this instance, the reason for adding more copper grease was squealing brakes, not any clicking noise.  It was only after the squeal was (more of less) taken care of that I heard the noise.

I took my car to lexus Cambridge today. They tightened up all suspension components. The pads and discs all round were replaced in January and are OEM parts. Lexus said the car was mechanically perfect. They only problem they could see was some play in the water pump that is being replaced under extended warranty. I am going to take my front brakes apart and copper grease them up again and make sure they are all out together correctly.i may replace the front hardware springs for the sake of £29. 

After considerable time, effort and expense changing my ball joints and shock absorbers, greasing the anti roll bar bushings etc. I got rid of my clunk by replacing the front slide pins and the rubber ring around it after cleaning the receptor and lubing all the pins generously with Toyota Rubber Grease.  Silicon grease didn't work and copper grease swells the rubber which then splits.