Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 250 Differential Oil

Verbout

Car passed its MOT the other day, the mechanic notice a noise in the differential when he spun the rear wheels, it’s something I’ve noticed but never done anything about.

A change of oil is called for as a starting point.

Where do you get LT 75W-85 GL-5 oil from?

Halfords stock something similar which is reasonably priced but I can’t find any that meets the exact specifications.

19 minutes ago, true blue said:

Hi ,I use redline from Opie oils  Fuchs titan sintopoid also listed      great service with a discount           

Dave

Cheers Dave, I’ve looked at the Redline products, not cheap. 

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

£43, :eek: and I’d need two. Thanks Nemesis,  I’d already found the expensive ones,     :lol:

I was looking for something more reasonably priced. 

It’s got all the same numbers and letters, 75W-85.

GL-5 is mentioned in the specifications section.

It’s going in the diff as soon as I’ve finished decorating.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Verbout said:

I believe it refers to Lexus/Toyota. Does anyone know different?

The posts in the link seem to suggest 'LT' is for non-LSD equipped cars, 'LX' for those with LSD?

13 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The posts in the link seem to suggest 'LT' is for non-LSD equipped cars, 'LX' for those with LSD?

Yep, got that, sorry I didn’t notice the link, thanks.

According to the manual I have to get under the car, the diff should be labelled as to whether it’s an LSD or not. 

I would expect a non LSD.

Just checked the service sheet from Lexus-tech.eu for both the RF300h and the RC-F

Just as the post in my link stated. Use the LT for standard or torque vectoring diffs and the LX for the LSD diff

• Like 1

The less scrupulous dealer might add some sawdust to the  oil to quieten a noisy diff :wink3:

How long do you expect to keep the car? An additive might be a short term solution but my preference would be to diagnose what the noise is. Might be simply a slight adjustment of the crown thrust bearing. 

• Like 1

Haven’t heard the sawdust tale for a while, Arfur.   :lol:.

My car ownership is always long term. What I will do is try the oil change, see how that goes, then look into the internal’s of the diff’, I haven’t had one apart since the ‘70s. :lol:

Thanks for your input.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Diff oil should be changed every 2 years or 20k and is included in the major service. I'm going indie for servicing from this year on labour only basis, but my mechanic will supply gulf diff oil for £12, can't beat that bulk purchase.