mattl369

Auto Transmission Fluid Change - Anyone Done It?

Recommended Posts

On 10/29/2019 at 6:34 AM, iwonder said:

It's worthwhile replacing the fluid in the gearbox. Lexus advise every 60k for heavy use applications. If you remove the sump pan and strainer it will drain most of the oil.

That won't even replace a 1/5 of the fluid. Most will be held in the TC or valve body. But start to do that at 60k miles and then every 20k miles to keep things healthy. Otherwise do a full replace every100k miles.

1190830313_ScreenShot2020-02-13at20_32_43.png.2aae28c6e7d8c3060cc4028f91e68d21.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also nothise that the engine is getting the normal temprature faster now than before, the 250 was much slower to get rigt temprature than my old Is200. But now i dont think its much difrence att all. Strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone my first post and I have a 2009 is250 auto 55,000 miles and am very,very pleased with it,no problems and I wondered if a preventative gearbox oil change was a good idea. I called lexus twickenham a couple if years ago and they said it was sealed and they would not do it,and so I wondered where people were getting the auto gearbox fluid changed?And if it was a simple procedure?
Thanks in advance to all on this forum.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, canon.dmajor.3 said:

Hello everyone my first post and I have a 2009 is250 auto 55,000 miles and am very,very pleased with it,no problems and I wondered if a preventative gearbox oil change was a good idea. I called lexus twickenham a couple if years ago and they said it was sealed and they would not do it,and so I wondered where people were getting the auto gearbox fluid changed?And if it was a simple procedure?
Thanks in advance to all on this forum.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
 

Welcome Jim.

As there isn't a drain plug on the transmission it is a little more involved but not difficult for any garage or competent DIYer. There are two main methods:

  • use the fill hole to insert a tube and draw out the fluid in the pan.
  • unbolt the whole pan

Note however that both methods will really only change 1 to 1.5 litres of fluid out of the 7.2 litres the transmission actually holds - so this doesn't make a big difference unless it is repeated again and again.

Also note that the fill procedure isn't difficult but time consuming because you keep having to check the level as you fill, then go through all the gears, then get up to temperature. Once up to temp and level, you then have to add 0.4 litres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Welcome Jim.

As there isn't a drain plug on the transmission it is a little more involved but not difficult for any garage or competent DIYer. There are two main methods:

  • use the fill hole to insert a tube and draw out the fluid in the pan.
  • unbolt the whole pan

Note however that both methods will really only change 1 to 1.5 litres of fluid out of the 7.2 litres the transmission actually holds - so this doesn't make a big difference unless it is repeated again and again.

Also note that the fill procedure isn't difficult but time consuming because you keep having to check the level as you fill, then go through all the gears, then get up to temperature. Once up to temp and level, you then have to add 0.4 litres.

I did a flush without the detergent in the flushstart , using only the gearbox oil in the flush machine. The machine name is BG Produkts PXT. And they need a special fitting for the 250.

i live in Norway and did the job in a Toyota Store, i was also told by Lexus Norway that they have never flushed a 250. So i am probably the first in Norway to do this.  I can only say that the gearbox is much faster in gearing after the flush.

F4FA14CC-8002-4FAA-B210-21DD66720600.png

7829E37E-0D18-45F2-9AA3-8FF9054F6731.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both colinbarber and alfalfa and any one else who contributes to this discussion,I have got some very good information from you both and will speak to my local mechanic and see what he says thank you both for your help.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

As there isn't a drain plug on the transmission it is a little more involved but not difficult for any garage or competent DIYer.

Hi Colin,

Are you refering to the A960E transmission fitted to the RWD IS250 Gen.2 as my understanding is that both a drain and a level plug are fitted to the pan.

This is a job I intend to undertake shortly so I have been doing a little research. The diagram below of the A960E  shows the two plugs fitted to the transmission pan.

 

Transmission Case & Oil Pan (Atm)

 

Regards, 

Declan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a drain plugg and a level plug on the pan, but you only get about 1 liter oil out, so if you like to change the 7.2litre you have to use a flush unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beamish said:

Hi Colin,

Are you refering to the A960E transmission fitted to the RWD IS250 Gen.2 as my understanding is that both a drain and a level plug are fitted to the pan.

Regards, 

Declan

My mistake, I was under the impression that it didn't have one - makes things easier. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.