Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shortage of decent cars?

I'm back from working abroad and I'm looking for another LS, preferably a late Mk3 or an early Mk4.

Is it my imagination or is there a shortage of decent cars?  Anyone know of a good one going?

Many thanks, Mark.

15 minutes ago, MNP said:

I was looking for a 1997 or later.

There are several on eBay including a new listing....best to check dvla MOT history with all of them just to see if any corrosion..

Thanks...I have checked a few out on the MoT site and nothing looks as good as my old Mk 3.

I'll just have to be patient.  Whilst I was away, I saw quite a few listings on Autotrader and eBay

that looked good but, sadly, I was 6000 miles away!!!!

Mark.

8 hours ago, dendonc said:

There has been no MOT on that since March 2016

i dont think the irish mot s show up on our online system .but apparantly they are very strict over there

1 hour ago, ste42 said:

i dont think the irish mot s show up on our online system

Ulster is a part of Britain as is Scotland, Wales & England, EIRE is not, it is an independent country & an MOT would/will not come up on a DVLA check.

The car (linked above) & its MOT status & History did come up when I did a DVLA check. The car was MOT'd at White Waltham Garage LTD SL6 3SG, thats Maidenhead, not EIRE or Ulster 

Quite simply it has no MOT & cannot legally be driven on any public road in UK!.

Thanks for all your comments, I was thinking about the £3990 one in Bradford but the MoT history

shows corrosion on the sub-frame.  Merely an advisory now but could that be terminal in a few years

bearing in mind my cars are driven all year round and subject to salt in the Winter!?

Mark.

talking of likely corrosion.....  there's a post on here under " Kobe Steel " or summat ....  and it hit me that manufacturers might be dumbing down on steel quality generally now to see an expected steel lifespan of @3 years ( yes 3 )  :w00t:

Malc

22 minutes ago, Malc said:

talking of likely corrosion.....  there's a post on here under " Kobe Steel "

Financial Times quote:

''The scandals at Kobe Steel and other companies over falsified data ''     

https://www.ft.com/content/6ae38350-b8aa-11e7-9bfb-4a9c83ffa852

Interestingly on the island where I have been for the last 14 months, Tristan da Cunha, there is a severe

issue with corrosion of new plant, JCB's etc due to the proximity of the South Atlantic!!

The old Massey Fergusson tractors, of which there are a few, dating from the 60's and 70's, there is little

or no rust visible.  When I had my old Volvo 240GL in the 90's, they were reputed to be made with higher

carbon steel for more corrosion resistance?

Mark.

6 hours ago, MNP said:

Thanks for all your comments, I was thinking about the £3990 one in Bradford but the MoT history

shows corrosion on the sub-frame.  Merely an advisory now but could that be terminal in a few years

bearing in mind my cars are driven all year round and subject to salt in the Winter!?

Mark.

that one at bradford was a 1500 pound car 8 months ago it has subsequently gone through 2 owners to get to that price i remember its listing on the auction site .it sold to old baz who then sold it on for about 3k and its now for sale again at that

Edited by ste42
mis spelling

Thanks Steve, I've spoken to them and it appears to have had rust proofing underneath recently

but the main issue is the advisories on the last two MoT's re the front upper suspension arms.

I think I will pass on this one!

Mark.

There clearly is a shortage of good examples - They key is (if you can) wait................check all sources of car sales several times and be prepared to act quickly when the right one turns up - all too often good examples often end up in the hands of dealers with extortianate mark up.

In today's Daily Telegraph there is an article on 'Cars to buy which will increase in value'. The LS 400 is on the list........the price will only go up so it might be an idea to grab one while you can.

On 11/3/2017 at 2:52 PM, cruisermark said:

dealers with extortianate mark up.

I think why the prices of the LS400's has gone up over this last few years.

This one is in good shape, no advisories about rust etc, Edinborough (I know a good chippy there)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-LEXUS-LS400-ONLY-43-788-MILES-FROM-NEW/232529455743?hash=item3623d5ea7f:g:JVIAAOSw43hZ6Mgz

Same with this one except the price is more sane

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-Lexus-Ls400/112625955360?hash=item1a3907b220:g:RCwAAOSwh9hZ-jvm

Oh dear, I've now started considering a Mercedes S class as they seem good value...the dark side of corrosion and lesser engineering, but

there are so many more to choose from.  Mark.

I agree Malc but I can't see any LS's that I would consider buying...they are either manky or grossly overpriced.

There are precious few and I can't blame current owners from keeping hold of good ones.....Mark.

This seems worth looking at, the problem seems to be >maybe< it needs a front exhaust downpipe, someone on here knew a guy who sorted that problem around Blackpool way, anyway this is a new eBay listing, no corrosion mentioned on chasis, looks like it might have been garaged, .....EBAY says 103 per hour looking at it, it only needs one genuine cash ready buyer

http://ebay.eu/2yVncda