Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 ecu

Dean48

So after some digging I've found that the reason for my poor idling could be due to a capacitor problem with my ecu.Has anybody replaced there's or can anybody recommend someone or somewhere in the Birmingham area that could do the job for me.Thanks 

Good luck in the UK. Places I spoke to only worked on a limited range of ECUs and wouldn't touch older Jap stuff. Rebuild services in the US and also guys down under. Good guy in NZ who did an LS400 ecu rebuild and others with the right capacitors. Shipping might be a hassle but it's quite fast from NZ and you'd be getting the job done right. 

https://www.facebook.com/soarersurgeon/

I am in the process of locating an ecu for my car rather than mess with what is in the car albeit running badly.

I have a mate who is a bit of a whiz with the electronics and will be doing the capacitor swap and then hopefully swap the reconditioned one with the faulty one.

If all works out I will get him to recondition the other one as well (no good to you as my car is a 95)

If you can wait a couple of weeks he may be able to do yours I will ask him when I see him.

He is located in Rugby

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recall reading ( somewhere ) that the 95 Ls400 ( the Mk3 ) which mine is too, has a defect from birth with the ECU and the damned interruption and stalling after a good long run but as we know it's easy to adapt to it and just switch off momentarily and restart immediately to give good almost continuing running.:w00t:

ANYWAY 

the purpose of this post is to say that i did read that in the USA the Mk3 was recalled to change the ECU but not in the UK.

So my surmise is that the guys in the US have a better ECU for the Mk3 and it just won't bugger about with the stalling issue if you get a replacement or whatever from there.

Malc

2 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

on old cars

" old "  " old "  OMG   never thought of my limo as ever " old " .........  just a little worn :yahoo:  

NOW my 1932 Triumph Southern Cross Sports Tourer is " old "  and that requires very very little maintenance at all, none of this electronic gadgetry, ECUs and whatever  !

Malc

Malc are the American ecu's the same as the UK e.g. emissions etc as I did think about getting one from there.

Still haven't located a year specific ecu for my mate to have a go at.

I have took the plunge and it is booked in at the Stealership tomorrow to see if they can lift any codes with a strict instruction not to fix it if they do.

Your 1932 Triumph beats my 1955 Cadillac by a few years for being old.

Update time

Put the car in the main stealers today and after 3 hours they could not get any codes from the car even though the engine light was on.

They even tried linking out the two ports on the socket as we all do but nothing.

They made no charge as they did not complete any diagnostics although they did confirm it was not mechanical.

The search will have to go on by myself to try and get to the bottom of this ho hum

What it so far as the ECU doesn't monitor itself! And any faults in the ECU fault finding section can't be read?

sort of makes sense but a bit of a stab in the dark to think about replacing the ECU, is it just a straight swap out with another suitable ( matching part numbers exactly) ECU or do you have to get involved with ignition / door locks and keys not to mention immobiliser?

paul m.

Pretty sure on the MK3 it is just ecu.

Mine has a separate aftermarket alarm and door lock activator

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think it is immobiliser etc from the MK4 onwards.

• 4 months later...

Well eventually an update

My mate had chance to open up the ecu and sure enough the leaky capacitors reared their heads.

All replaced with good ones not cheap Chinese copies

Car now runs as it should, just a pity the recall only happened in the USA and these lovely cars were blighted with this problem.

As I had to stop using the car until the fix I now have a new daily so the car is regretfully up for sale on E-bay after spending a lot of time and money on it

My loss someone else's gain

• Like 1