Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 Second Test Drive

malcolmw

We took out an LC500 V8 yesterday for an extended test drive. This certainly confirmed my decision to go with the V8 rather than the Hybrid version.

I felt much more at home on the second drive and I was amused by the exhaust crackle when you change gear to supplement the engine note. 

We drove it home and tried it in the garage where it fits no problem. It was interesting to see the car in a familiar environment and this showed up just how wide it is as this is not apparent in the dealer's car park.

I have to wait until January now! :sad:

You do get used to the width quite quickly. Just don't try and go somewhere that is too narrow!

Did you notice what the mpg was on your test drive?  My daily commute is 7 miles each way and I am struggling to get 30 mpg from the hybrid. It can take up to an hour in the mornings on a bad day which obviously won't help. I dread to think what the V8 fuel consumption would be in those conditions.

Our test drive was about 100 miles round trip and consisted of a mixture of 1/3rd motorway, 1/3rd A roads and 1/3rd B roads with a bit of waiting in traffic for about 10 minutes. I gave it a bit of a boot in a few places to feel the performance but on the motorway cruise the revs were sitting at about 1500. I reset the system when I started our trip and the indicated mpg was 23.6 overall.

When I test drove the hybrid on a similar pattern trip it showed 33.2 mpg. The daytime temperature was about 15degC.

I live in a rural area and we don't get much heavy traffic so I think you have chosen the correct model if you have a high traffic commute. I was pretty impressed with the hybrid when I drove it and I would probably have gone for it if I had traffic as you describe.

3 hours ago, Jules640 said:

You do get used to the width quite quickly. Just don't try and go somewhere that is too narrow!

Did you notice what the mpg was on your test drive?  My daily commute is 7 miles each way and I am struggling to get 30 mpg from the hybrid. It can take up to an hour in the mornings on a bad day which obviously won't help. I dread to think what the V8 fuel consumption would be in those conditions.

My daily commute  is 4/5 miles and thats all i have done since owning the car, i am showing 17 mpg

• 2 weeks later...