Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

engine oil, oil filter and air filter question.

Hello All, 

im new to the forum signed up to ask a few question. My dad currently owns a 2002 is200 auto and im going do a service on the car.  ive been searching the forum and all the information i found about the car i want to confirm or need part number for. 

basically the cars on 140k  i was going use  5w40 fully synthetic oil as i heard it is better to use 5w40 when the cars on high millage? correct me if not, depends on price i might even get 5w30, the grade of the oil should be API SL?  

oil filter - after a little research every one only recommend genuine filter ?   the part number is 90515-YZZJ3 for the oil filter? can some one confirm this please or i can use other filter from euro car parts?

air filter - im not sure what air filter to use for the car i cannot seem to find a part number for the genuine filter? can someone give me the part number or recommend a good filter to use? no performance filter needed. 

Thank You!  

Hi Bamboo

I would stick with the grade of oil recommended by Lexus for your car. When buying filters, its probably best to stick with genuine filters. After pricing them at Lexus, phone your local Toyota dealer to see the price they are quoting for same parts, mention you might just go to eurocarparts as it is an older car and you don't want to spend too much . I done this last week and the person at the end of the phone said he would put the parts through as a trade deal if this would help. Worked out I got genuine parts for the approximate same price as eurocarparts price. I may have been lucky, however as they say " If you don't ask, you'll never know". The worst that can happen is they say no. As far as part numbers go, phone up Lexus or Toyota with registration or VIN  number and they will be able to supply you with correct part numbers. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hello Alan, Thank you for reply. i would buy from Lexus/Toyota however i have not got any dealers around where i live so i cant really buy from them other then eBay or online. i guess i can phone them up for the part number though! thank you, never thought about that. 

Hello and welcome to the LOC

Part numbers for Oil Filter 90915-20003, Air filter 87139-48020 priced around £10.00 and £20.00 respectively.

Also obtain new sump plug washer for a round £1.00 part number 90430-12031

I have just purchased 5ltrs of Shell Helix HX7 5w-30 for around £16.00 inc delivery from ECP.

14 hours ago, Surebet said:

Hi Bamboo

I would stick with the grade of oil recommended by Lexus for your car. When buying filters, its probably best to stick with genuine filters. After pricing them at Lexus, phone your local Toyota dealer to see the price they are quoting for same parts, mention you might just go to eurocarparts as it is an older car and you don't want to spend too much . I done this last week and the person at the end of the phone said he would put the parts through as a trade deal if this would help. Worked out I got genuine parts for the approximate same price as eurocarparts price. I may have been lucky, however as they say " If you don't ask, you'll never know". The worst that can happen is they say no. As far as part numbers go, phone up Lexus or Toyota with registration or VIN  number and they will be able to supply you with correct part numbers. Good luck. 

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Part numbers for Oil Filter 90915-20003, Air filter 87139-48020 priced around £10.00 and £20.00 respectively.

I have just purchased 5ltrs of Shell Helix HX7 5w-30 for around £16.00 inc delivery from ECP.

Totally agree with the above. Stick with recommended oils and genuine parts if you can, there are a number of Toyota and Lexus dealers on eBay eg http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hillstoyotalexusstore/ And as far as I'm aware 140k is barely run in :biggrin: I'm pretty sure that if Toyota/Lexus wanted you to use different grades above a certain mileage they'd put it in the handbook rather than relying on forums to get the message out!

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

thank you Steve for the part numbers! however for air filter  87139-48020 it is coming up as Cabin Filter?  i need the engine air filter please.    where did you order sump plug washer for £1? cheapest i seen is £2 haha. 

51 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Totally agree with the above. Stick with recommended oils and genuine parts if you can, there are a number of Toyota and Lexus dealers on eBay eg http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hillstoyotalexusstore/ And as far as I'm aware 140k is barely run in :biggrin: I'm pretty sure that if Toyota/Lexus wanted you to use different grades above a certain mileage they'd put it in the handbook rather than relying on forums to get the message out!

ahh thank you for the eBay page!    i stick with 5w30 then!  however my dad has mention the car does drink a little engine oil? im not sure if that is normal for this type of car however a few post said due to millage often cars need to use 5w40 and it will use less oil 

Use 5w30 oil, it's best for our cars and that's all i've ever used.
Also if you type in eBay IS200 oil filter you will find a genuine Toyota filter amongst the items for sale. I bought mine from there and it came from a Lexus dealer.

22 hours ago, DnB TSE said:

thank you Steve for the part numbers! however for air filter  87139-48020 it is coming up as Cabin Filter?  i need the engine air filter please.    where did you order sump plug washer for £1? cheapest i seen is £2 haha. 

Apologies, the correct part number should  read  17801-70050 quoted around the same price, the sump plug washer is quoted as 99p on the parts listings but this may by now be well out of date.

Regarding mail order I understand that Lexus Birmingham list on eBay also and provide a delivery service, if the parts you require are not listed it may be worth a direct call to see if they are able to fulfil your order.