Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broadband Upgrade

maria

Thanks for all your comments, I am going to have a look at Zen to be honest I have never heard of them before, but it's good to read other people's thoughts.

I work from home and spend all day on the net so it is important that I have a good reliable supplier.

My main concern is changing supplier and new 12 month contract again which at present I don't have as I have had broad band for 2 years now.

I am not that technically minded and I know how quickly things go out of date, do you think my computer is fast enougt to work on the 1meg system? before I sign up to a new contract.

2.2 ghz

60gb

P 4

Many thanks for all you helpful comments.

Maria

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your comments, I am going to have a look at Zen to be honest I have never heard of them before, but it's good to read other people's thoughts.

I work from home and spend all day on the net so it is important that I have a good reliable supplier.

My main concern is changing supplier and new 12 month contract again which at present I don't have as I have had broad band for 2 years now.

I am not that technically minded and I know how quickly things go out of date, do you think my computer is fast enougt to work on the 1meg system? before I sign up to a new contract.

2.2 ghz

60gb

P 4

Many thanks for all you helpful comments.

Maria

Your PC spec is absolutely fine. The spec of your PC isn't that important when it comes to this sort of connectivity.

The beauty of Zen is that you aren't tied into a 12 month contract - it's only a month at a time. They have the confidence in their service to not have to tie customers into long contracts - if you like it you stay.....

Never heard of Zen, so I can't say if they're good or bad... But I have seen ISP's come and go.

See what people have in your area, if its possible.

I use NTL with a Netgear router/firewall no problems. But a mate has the same set up as me in Dorset, and keeps dropping of :blink: and has now changed to BT (which I don't rate) and loves it.

P.S. don't worry about your PC!! :mat:

your pc seems to be fine, you don't say what memory you've got in, but upgrading this can be realtively cheap and easy.

I run 2.66 P4 with 1 gigDDR and it runs very nice.

The best upgrade I can recomend is a re-format and re-install

Its amazing how quick your computer runs after you do this.

I try and do it 2 or 3 times a year

I have just called up Zen to ask about switching the sevice over, all seems fine my line will accept the 1 meg, but here is the downfall I have to wait 3-5 working days to be reconnected!!! :ohmy: Plus £50.00 migration charge.

I don't think I can be with a system for that long

I have a mate who is with them, he says they're ok but it's the first time he has had broadband, so doesn't have anything to compare it to.... But he's had no real problems.

I'd look into them a bit, I wish I had gone with them.. But is it to good to be true? :unsure:

If I am reading this right BT are near the bottom, I don't understand why their system is so bad, am I right in saying they sell to other providers?, I am very confused now!

Had a look at http://www.cpbb.co.uk quite interested in them but would like to know has anyone used them?

maria,

i had a look, but it seems you have to use another ISP for your email, which presumably costs more to hire, but i'm not sure i've read it right.

bob

If I am reading this right BT are near the bottom, I don't understand why their system is so bad, am I right in saying they sell to other providers?, I am very confused now!

Had a look at http://www.cpbb.co.uk quite interested in them but would like to know has anyone used them?

BT are at the bottom of the top ten list - and the gap between the top and the bottom is pretty small.

i had a look, but it seems you have to use another ISP for your email

Just called them you get a new e-mail address which will be your name @cpp.co.uk I think I will still be able to pick up my e-mail from BT via another server?

They only charge £29.99 to activate the line not £50.00 but 12 to 20 days to change over.

Seems like a good deal!

you get a btopenworld address with their broadband or dial up. You may want to convert your account to a standard dial up account so you can still receive mail.

However I think you need to connect to their mail servers via a BT ip address to send any mail, so you will only be able to receive from your new ISP.

I'm assuming that I'll lose my btopenworld.com email address when I migrate, but for the last 2 months I've been swapping all my mail to Orange so that I'm ISP independant. With Orange you can access your mail either via the web or a POP3/IMAP client such as Outlook. (Other mobile phone companies probably offer the same service).

The comparisons on adslguide are a good pointer for relative performance, but are probably somewhat subjective as all you do is rate your ISP out of ten on three items. Like how do you rate 'speed' out of ten if you've nothing to compare it with?

Easy to confuse two BT packages, BTbroadband and BTopenworld. Btopenworld are a different company and you have to pay by with credit card but you get email and webspace(i think) but will lose your email if you go to someone else.

BTbroadband is BT proper and you only get broadband, no email, no nothing but you pay on your phone bill. I'm on this but should be moving to pipex very shortly (can't wait)

I don't have any kind of PC at home (I knowe I know) but I'd be interested to know just what kind of speed people actually get on downloads?

ie what's the highest number you've ever seen when doing a download in k per second? (Forget issues about that not being a true measure etc, this is just a broad brush thing).

I'm incredibly spoiled by the speed at work - way WAY faster than anything mentioned above - but interested to know what the real world is like in case I ever DID want to use the "internet", whatever that is, at home.

So, your highest ever speed was....?