Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk4 LS400

Connor2x4

Hi Connor. I'm in London. There have been some issues with getting the right springs for the Mk IV LS400 and OEM are expensive. I spoke to some spring manufacturers down the road who said they would need to see the springs in question before saying if they could knock some up. They wouldn't talk price either... Anyway, that's the story behind it. 

Hi Connor. I'm in London. There have been some issues with getting the right springs for the Mk IV LS400 and OEM are expensive. I spoke to some spring manufacturers down the road who said they would need to see the springs in question before saying if they could knock some up. They wouldn't talk price either... Anyway, that's the story behind it. 
Ah I see. Is there no-one breaking a mk4 that would sell the springs? I'm inclined to keep mine in the shed until they're ready to go back on the car

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this afternoon my chrome indicator bulbs arrived which meant it was time to modify those eggy front indicators.

I've modded a few sets of headlights in my time but these were nothing like headlights, and so was a new learning experience meaning that it wasn't a brilliant first time at it.

However if you never try you'll never know. And should I do another set in the future I'll have a much better idea of what I'm doing and be able to do a much better job at it.

fd358b6edae5030824a4e2344853f826.jpgca2d1e2bb21c03469240abca85d366a9.jpg4c3f5299154839e3e12d67dd0bb07eb3.jpgd13a0fbbad3a88e6f28e1b6caccce45c.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good to me! 
Thanks :) I plan on getting some more pictures in daylight after work today. Same as any other job on a car. What us thought to be a 10 min job turns into hours lol

Today was the day I started to readjust the car and give it some general loving lol. The plan was to get the coilovers adjusted to a more suitable permanent position ready for it's alignment and new tyres next week and also to get the wheels sanded down ready for paint.

I only managed to get one corner done as I was too busy faffing do loads of other jobs [emoji23]

I thought it would be a good time to give the wheel arch a coat of hammerite to prevent anymore rust coming through. I say anymore like there is some already, but I must say for 20 years on the road there was very little there! Gave it a good coating anyway as preventative is always best :)
ce5dcd09ef38468c2ed49f2e6f7b30bf.jpg52c3bebba87a2a9d00ec6cb83d12f718.jpg16725195cc12a071b5c59f134c0ffef8.jpg21467a7d9091093922d946918f7f14b3.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to paint one of the wheels today and prep the rest. Should be able to get them all painted. Silver isn't something I'd like as I find it too standard, however I think it does right by the car59c7e06ce4bbe61de6a8bf3ae2a3be82.jpg5a30dcc60076a033644e94fd437f7082.jpgdb2756ef67c49a2f42559f5a0cd7a769.jpga6ecddf3dd252d5f97276eb8b8eb99be.jpg05b589b7d1b650637b434a3bcc128ed9.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Connor2x4 said:

Managed to paint one of the wheels today and prep the rest. Should be able to get them all painted. Silver isn't something I'd like as I find it too standard, however I think it does right by the cardb2756ef67c49a2f42559f5a0cd7a769.jpga6ecddf3dd252d5f97276eb8b8eb99be.jpg05b589b7d1b650637b434a3bcc128ed9.jpg

Yep, much better than the black wheels :yes:

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Connor2x4 said:

Just some pics as everyone likes a good picture post82fa83af102938c5265c1feb9b8c3698.jpgffeda80e05ebca1f8aebf71a6c199e93.jpge556f13e5089c1933e4ef72e3d61c417.jpga1c2de08754228998f6044bffb8aa39a.jpg2417cf86e372524d13a26aabb998939e.jpg7c8b5a6c718b4794c93629485cccf944.jpga34cd99238cfa90de7bcf8a4dd4bf3e3.jpgab2a949fa38af55309ab4e7ee7bac31f.jpg3ed8772a17644501d7930c40464c8eb9.jpg

When I was looking for my LS400 8 years ago dark green was the last colour I wanted but the one I eventually bought had lots of good points including FSH but it was in dark green, now I love it. When she has a good clean up she looks a million dollars. Enjoy your LS. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graham8370 said:

You're a clever fella Connor, that looks superb. The wheels really set it off. 

Thank you I really appreciate that :)

3 hours ago, Neil E said:

Great work, what a difference it's made.:cool:

thank you, definitely breathing more life into what most people would call an 'old' car. I just think they don't know what they're missing :P

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I love the last two night-time shots!

Where were they taken?

What a difference you have made to that car! 

I am not keen on the lowering but hats of to you! Well done!

They were taken in Wells, Somerset. Made the trip down for my birthday week. Thank you, great comments make it all worthwhile.

1 hour ago, Bluesman said:

When I was looking for my LS400 8 years ago dark green was the last colour I wanted but the one I eventually bought had lots of good points including FSH but it was in dark green, now I love it. When she has a good clean up she looks a million dollars. Enjoy your LS. 

I originally wanted a black one with black interior (I like dark colours) Green is certainly one of the better colours I agree.

1 hour ago, Newbie1 said:

Top work man and love the plate.

Thank you, small show plate ready for JapFest, the plate is technically inaccurate for a JDM plate, but hey only die hard fans will notice lol

2 minutes ago, Connor2x4 said:

Thank you, small show plate ready for JapFest, the plate is technically inaccurate for a JDM plate, but hey only die hard fans will notice lol

That was my next question!

Where would you use it was my question. When they are imported does the plate usually come with them? Or is that a lucky bonus?
Just shows and private roads. I believe when they're imported you can keep the plates but I'm not sure might be wrong on that one. The plate i have are just some cheap replica plates.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I've noticed that uploading pictures from my phone gives a sub par image to you guys on pc, so for this next post I'll be posting from my pc.

Something that I've been working on for a few months is modified headlights, I've been doing this bit by bit and haven't really felt that I had an image I could give you that would show the near finished item, as I'm still a couple of parts away from completion, however these pictures should show you what I've been working on. Even if it isn't something that you particularly like, you can't deny the amount of effort, blood, sweat, and tears that has gone into this build.

It started back in around January time, where I took a photo of my standard headlights to get an idea of where I wanted to go with the build

20180131_124729.thumb.jpg.b34fc3c5da22cd1e93019ffb1a483c5f.jpg

after seeing a few builds abroad, I decided to go with the multi lens projector look.

and at this point where I want to put a photo in, it wont upload and allow me to post it,

to be continued.

Reading through this thread and as the mods progressed, I wasn't that keen on the new look at all. Not sure if it's the colour change of the wheels but I actually like the overall look now in the latest pictures, the silver wheels look so much better inho.

Fair play to you Connor, you are not afraid to get stuck in and have a go, I hope it gives you many miles of happy motoring, they are lovely cars.

• Like 3

Reading through this thread and as the mods progressed, I wasn't that keen on the new look at all. Not sure if it's the colour change of the wheels but I actually like the overall look now in the latest pictures, the silver wheels look so much better inho.
Fair play to you Connor, you are not afraid to get stuck in and have a go, I hope it gives you many miles of happy motoring, they are lovely cars.
Thanks for your lovely comment, and I'm glad that the look is starting to grow on You, it seems that a few people are having their minds swayed, and I'm glad that I'm able to do that.

There's nothing better than getting stuck in, if it goes wrong it goes wrong, the car will still be drivable and would always try and repair where possible, I'm not one for letting things rot on scrapheaps!

When I get home today I will try and again post an image of the headlight build. I have basically turned both the reflector bowls into projector headlights. I hope you guys like them but they are rather distinct, something else I'm sure will divide opinion!

12 minutes ago, Connor2x4 said:

When I get home today I will try and again post an image of the headlight build. I have basically turned both the reflector bowls into projector headlights. I hope you guys like them but they are rather distinct, something else I'm sure will divide opinion!

Connor, I'm not trying to rain on your parade and I do like the car a LOT more now without those black wheels, but be careful about what you do with the headlights.

Car lights are very complex things and all those lines and grooves on the lenses aren't just there to make them look nice or interesting; it's all to do with how the beam pattern forms, the refractions and reflections, spread patterns, and the avoidance of dazzling other road users. There's lots of very complex maths and science behind how and why a headlight looks and behaves the way it does and it's the reason why it's illegal to just swap halogen headlight bulbs for LED ones (well, not strictly 'illegal' because you could use them on private roads and/or tracks, but they aren't 'road legal').