Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Conversion of OEM IS220d F Sport Headlamps to OEM IS200d F Sport Headlamps

Bondis

Hi all!

First and foremost I am new to this forum. I bought a 2010 Lexus IS 220d F Sport from the UK and imported it to my country. I bought the 220d F Sport and not the 200d F Sport for three main reasons:

1) More power
2) Mark Levinson sound system
3) Seats with memory function

However, doing this meant that my car would have no day time running lights as standard. This is something that I still really want. 

Does anyone now if it is possible to convert from a 2010 OEM to a 2011 OEM headlamp? Will it be an easy swap? And will the DRL work just as a plug and play or will I have to take it to a centre to get it programmed? From the satellite switches i have no access to DRL function, and this is where i assume it should be to switch them on or off. 

I have contacted the Lexus Official Store on eBay and their reply was: 
"If the customer is looking to fit a different headlamp from a different spec of vehicle we would not be able to advise regarding if it would fit the vehicle as the wiring may well be different/has not been tested so we cannot sanction changing the original spec. I can also confirm that there are no accessory DRL/s available."

Before I got this message they however have recommended part number 81140-53351.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-IS250-220D-RH-Headlamp-Unit-Assembly-04-10-08-10-8114053351-/262303658199?hash=item3d128430d7

In my opinion, 8113053250 looks like it has DRL function at the bottom of the headlamp unit, and is also much cheaper.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lexus-Car-Replacement-Headlamp-Unit-Assembly-RH-8113053250-/251651200663?hash=item3a97949697 

Attached find the two car models i am referring to, and see the difference in headlamps. IMO the DRL function looks amazing.

I tried to keep the post the shortest length possible. Any sort of information and help would be very much appreciated.

Peace be with you guys. Have a good day.

DRL.jpg

image-0-02-05-86d3bd2baf8aee8837c02202b76e136df99fabe2ee6341434ce5aa3e58758d33-V.jpg

The one in the video is not OEM I guess, and so the AFS light in the cluster will switch on. Also it does not seem to be Xenon headlamps. But thanks for the information. 

Attached is a shot of my car, literally in showroom condition, when I bought it last June. Obviously all stock... so far :)

lexus_1 - Copy.jpg

Nice looking car you got there.  Don't see many in black.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I posted the video only to show you how to change the light, not the purchase it from them.

I assume if you get OEM lights then you won't have a problem with AFS, although I would think that the satellite function won't work. 

Might be worth looking for someone who is breaking a facelift car.

Even if it's an easy enough job to change the actual light units, your car may not be wired for DRL functionality.

My 2005 RX300 has a fusebox in the engine bay and all fuses are labelled up to show which circuits they control. If you pull any fuse out of its holder you can see two metal contacts in the holder and, obviously, the fuse is just a bit of wire that bridges those two contacts, which allows the current to flow.

According to the label in the fusebox, one of the fuses (I think it's No.10 if I remember correctly) is for the DRLs. However, in reality, there is no fuse in the No.10 position and if you look down into where the fuse should be, there are no contacts there to push the fuse into and no wiring exists for a DRL circuit.

Maybe the American, Japanese, and some other markets around the world sold RX300s with DRLs, but the UK market didn't so no wiring was ever installed for them.

Luckily, the RX300 uses an amber bulb through a clear lens for the indicators so I got these switchback LEDs from eBay, along with a couple of relays and they work really well. Not as good looking as the ones you want but an easy, cheap alternative.

@Shahpor, thank you :)

@sorcerer sounds like a good idea. However i will dig deeper and try to find a pair of OEM headlamps from the 200d model. Then I'll manage with an electrician's helps to have the DRLs permanently on. I wouldn't have the option to switch them off, but i see no reason for that. I will also try to find a wiring diagram for the two models and compare the two. Things should be more clear then. 

Thank you both for your help.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bondis said:

Then I'll manage with an electrician's helps to have the DRLs permanently on.

DRLs should only come on when the engine is actually running, and not when the key is in either the ACC or IGN positions, but I think most aftermarket DRLs are wired to come on with the ignition, as mine are. I only found out a couple of days ago that the way to get them on when the engine is running is to take the power from the alternator - as soon as the alternator starts to charge the DRLs come on.

I wouldn't have the option to switch them off, but I see no reason for that

They have to go off when the side/position lights are turned on or at the very least they must dim to about half of their normal brightness so that no one gets dazzled by very bright LEDs at night. Have a look at my video in the thread below:

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, Shahpor said:

Well, I can't help you with the post facelift cars (assuming there is any difference), but here are what I have on the wiring of the headlights and AFS system on the older cars:

AFS.pdf

HL.pdf

Thank you! very much appreciated!

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, sorcerer said:

DRLs should only come on when the engine is actually running, and not when the key is in either the ACC or IGN positions, but I think most aftermarket DRLs are wired to come on with the ignition, as mine are. I only found out a couple of days ago that the way to get them on when the engine is running is to take the power from the alternator - as soon as the alternator starts to charge the DRLs come on.

They have to go off when the side/position lights are turned on or at the very least they must dim to about half of their normal brightness so that no one gets dazzled by very bright LEDs at night. Have a look at my video in the thread below:

indeed, this is why i would definitely need an auto electrician's help :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links