Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My RR-Racing Supercharger Build

Morning All, 

As suggested, thought I’d start a new thread to document the progress by SRD on my supercharger install. Hoping they receive the replacement auxiliary pulley today, as it’s holding things up! :wink3:

I won’t try posting the video of the knackered pulley again, but here are photos from day one, mostly stripping everything down, with one of the two new coolers fitted, and the rather lovely ATI custom harmonic crank damper pulley. :thumbup1:

84A1EEAC-13BA-4910-8958-1DC6598A0FB3.jpeg

B716A915-DB8D-499E-9971-BAE451617282.jpeg

0E36FD7E-88C2-4D97-BCCF-86050D57F3C6.jpeg

F9D250E7-9FEE-45F1-A31D-4BAA3539FE53.jpeg

5D394081-D057-4D7A-816F-DF708F96F979.jpeg

B6B94720-BF43-4273-A17D-7A4C74C15D13.jpeg

9D7C598A-5464-4D61-956D-E3E927714EE5.jpeg

7AE5D72C-D1A7-4721-A45B-C3FCD6A01524.jpeg

CDA46B8F-4553-469F-B2B9-17655FC81C15.jpeg

FA2FB386-E24D-43B0-9C3C-A33DFD0FA97F.jpeg

F502C49D-7217-4EFA-830B-77A23CC550F2.jpeg

A458575D-31F5-4714-8898-2F36FF232C17.jpeg

93E87E91-1B73-437F-ADDF-F538C3F1B01B.jpeg

0A5AE7A5-AB0A-4C0D-A4DD-E7F5E5758E8E.jpeg

• Like 7

In preparation for the increase in power I decided to upgrade my brakes as well. Project Mu slotted discs and pads. :thumbup1:

Also new brake lines and Endless fluid with new OEM shims as well to complete the package.

445CC31F-FAE3-4F89-89C9-4B7B57317381.jpeg

9BF3449C-AE52-4F89-ABB5-1FE90432AC0F.jpeg

47631DB0-40FD-491A-AEC2-8D9301D17B20.jpeg

0B657CEB-5872-46AB-B538-3FEB16FBEFE3.jpeg

D1B60068-6F51-4E99-A807-146FBB78345C.jpeg

143B15AC-5379-4F81-BDFB-30679A07D777.jpeg

C990E89A-83F2-42CA-92C2-41129792EA9D.jpeg

CF5B142A-2FA4-43F3-84E3-3FD003A64EE1.jpeg

• Like 6

Morning All.

Quick update, gearbox oil cooler is now fitted. Guys at SRD weren’t happy with how it was supposed to bolt to the flimsy brake ducts, so they fabricated some proper brackets for it. :thumbup1:

The FMIC is also now fitted with the crash bar modified to accommodate same. Auxiliary pulley didn’t show up yesterday, but should be with the guys today hopefully.

More progress and photos to follow. :thumbup:

0E948ACB-02A7-4C6E-83BE-415A0A9A8865.jpeg

5650F894-8F58-4721-8F1F-04C31EF6428B.jpeg

• Like 1

I hope you feed back to RR Racing regarding the mounting design change. Mounting to upstream/brake ducts sounds like a no no to me too. Just make sure any bracketry in that area is well painted to prevent corrosion.
Does that oil cooler replace the stock water cooled one?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toothy said:

I hope you feed back to RR Racing regarding the mounting design change. Mounting to upstream/brake ducts sounds like a no no to me too. Just make sure any bracketry in that area is well painted to prevent corrosion.
Does that oil cooler replace the stock water cooled one?

Thanks David. :smile:

I'll be sure to let Simon and Rafi know, agree it seemed a little iffy to me as well! :wink3:

No, the cooler pictured is for the gearbox. I have a second cooler that's probably sitting alongside this one for engine oil, but that is in addition to the factory water cooled one.

I could in theory delete the OEM oil cooler, but don't see any harm in beefing up the cooling side of things to help with the added performance etc.

Cheers.

Pete :cool:

Brilliant thread Pete - will be a great resource for anyone wanting to do the same.

Very interesting stuff - although I don’t have a clue what  I am looking at half the time.😉

Look forward to seeing it when it’s finished some time so you explain what SRD we’re doing. You must be comping at the bit to get it on the road. Hope it continues to go smoothly👍🏻

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DAW said:

Brilliant thread Pete - will be a great resource for anyone wanting to do the same.

Very interesting stuff - although I don’t have a clue what  I am looking at half the time.😉

Look forward to seeing it when it’s finished some time so you explain what SRD we’re doing. You must be comping at the bit to get it on the road. Hope it continues to go smoothly👍🏻

Thanks David. :thumbsup:

So fortunately RR-Racing have put together quite a comprehensive installation guide document they send out with the kit. It's a work in progress for them, as they make changes to it as they receive more feedback from the buyers/installers. The Yanks actually put us to shame when it comes to tackling things like this themselves! Most kits sold in the States were actually fitted by the buyers/owners in their own garages! Probably the reason why no one has addressed the weak/poor recommendation to attach the gearbox cooler to the brake ducting, as they wouldn't necessarily see the issue with it. SRD are therefore helping me to report back to RR-Racing/Simon & Rafi with any further feedback or suggestions they should consider for future kits.

I am indeed eager to get back behind the wheel, but will happily bide my time for the sake of allowing Lee and his team to get things right. The failed auxiliary pulley was an unexpected and frankly annoying delay, but Lee and the guys have been working away on other areas whilst they wait for the new pulley to arrive.

Should be amazing once it's done though. :yahoo:

• Like 1

So more progress photos from Lee at SRD. Auxiliary pulley assembly turned up, so they’ve done a load of stuff today! :thumbup:

I was shocked when I saw these, really impressed with what’s been achieved. Still work to be done, but damn! Well done guys, super impressed. :thumbup1:

B908054E-D7EE-481C-830E-DAB74F16A950.jpeg

CC99291D-E603-4351-9204-A9A846C8DFC6.jpeg

E27307AD-AC09-4489-BAD1-85645ADB7BC3.jpeg

755852B6-06B3-4794-AC84-01C81DDB10EF.jpeg

FB17D48E-AD47-4C59-AE62-129D2B74FDFF.jpeg

E864799A-648F-4AD5-A70F-6C562CA06B72.jpeg

3CE2A289-6B65-453F-BDD2-8E4B346F20FC.jpeg

8C3319C5-3164-4F5A-83BE-E056592C7797.jpeg

531154BE-7568-4A93-B3EE-7D32F5E8FB56.jpeg

2F2F6DAA-429B-4BD3-9ED0-19785C5D47F5.jpeg

95ACB6B2-BAFA-4CD6-955A-C8CD0D2BD2F4.jpeg

C10515DD-FE0D-4D1A-8B51-3AC68ED4DF44.jpeg

• Like 4

@Peter P18 Been looking at the build as it goes on you must getting like a kid at Christmas waiting for the off !

Can I ask a couple of questions ?

With all the gubbins in front of the rad added with the extra performance available do you think it’s going to impede airflow and therefore heat issues ?

Secondly are you going to go down the agreed value insurance once she’s done.

Big Rat

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Peter P18 Been looking at the build as it goes on you must getting like a kid at Christmas waiting for the off !

Can I ask a couple of questions ?

With all the gubbins in front of the rad added with the extra performance available do you think it’s going to impede airflow and therefore heat issues ?

Secondly are you going to go down the agreed value insurance once she’s done.

Big Rat

Not half Big Rat, can’t wait to have this done and back on the road. Got to be patient though, Lee and the guys are doing an amazing job getting things spot on, will be worth the wait! :thumbup:

Shouldn't cause any issues having those bits in front of the radiator. If you look at a lot of high power turbo’d cars, they also have the same setup with FMIC, coolers etc in front of the radiator. The air will still reach the rad, just through the fins of the other coolers. Considering there are guys running this setup in California where it’s always sunny and hot, doubt gloomy, wet, cold England will cause it any issues! Lol. :g::wink3:

I already have an agreed value policy on mine. Have to declare all my modifications, but get like for like or replacement value for everything. Things like the wheels and rear carbon diffuser are now discontinued, hence needing good cover just in case something bad happens.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mattmech said:

Looking good Pete. Lots of progress today. Do they work Saturdays!! Could be done by end of play tomorrow 😎

wont be long now. Good work done by those guys 👍

Cheers Matt. :thumbup1:

No, just asked Lee that funnily enough! :wink3:

Will be picking up again first thing Monday morning. 

Just have to enjoy borrowing the wife’s Juke Nismo RS till it’s finished! :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Peter P18 said:

Not half Big Rat, can’t wait to have this done and back on the road. Got to be patient though, Lee and the guys are doing an amazing job getting things spot on, will be worth the wait! :thumbup:

Shouldn't cause any issues having those bits in front of the radiator. If you look at a lot of high power turbo’d cars, they also have the same setup with FMIC, coolers etc in front of the radiator. The air will still reach the rad, just through the fins of the other coolers. Considering there are guys running this setup in California where it’s always sunny and hot, doubt gloomy, wet, cold England will cause it any issues! Lol. :g::wink3:

I already have an agreed value policy on mine. Have to declare all my modifications, but get like for like or replacement value for everything. Things like the wheels and rear carbon diffuser are now discontinued, hence needing good cover just in case something bad happens.

@Peter P18 And I was considering moving over towards the south east of this country as the BBC would have you believe the weather there is on par with California 😁

Good to see it all progressing for you you’ve obviously got the insurance aspect all tucked up just done an agreed on mine, just in case.

Big Rat

Thats amazing progress to be picking it up on Monday Pete - very impressive. Will definitely keep SRD in mind for any work I want to do away from Lexus. I had them in mind for installing the USRS’s, on your recommendation, If I hadn’t already renewed my warranty for another 2 years. Hence why I didn’t join the recent USRS group buy you very kindly organised.  Still keen to do it at some point but H&S exhaust my 1st priority in the new year & no warranty.issues with that.

Hadn’t t realised the supercharger was so compact. I was expecting it to be nestled on top of the engine in the more usual configuration - I presume due to lack of space?. This is more like a turbo set up. You will have to explain all the pipe work/cooling when I get the opportunity to see it  lol.

Excitement must be building for 1st drive on Monday. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAW said:

Thats amazing progress to be picking it up on Monday Pete - very impressive. Will definitely keep SRD in mind for any work I want to do away from Lexus. I had them in mind for installing the USRS’s, on your recommendation, If I hadn’t already renewed my warranty for another 2 years. Hence why I didn’t join the recent USRS group buy you very kindly organised.  Still keen to do it at some point but H&S exhaust my 1st priority in the new year & no warranty.issues with that.

Hadn’t t realised the supercharger was so compact. I was expecting it to be nestled on top of the engine in the more usual configuration - I presume due to lack of space?. This is more like a turbo set up. You will have to explain all the pipe work/cooling when I get the opportunity to see it  lol.

Excitement must be building for 1st drive on Monday. 😉

Hey Matt,

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear in my post, Lee and the guys will be carrying on with the install on Monday, still not sure when I will be picking it up, but doubtful it’ll be Monday. 

Lee also has a bedding in process to follow for the supercharger, plus the Project Mu pads and discs need bedding in as well.

I’m thinking Wednesday, but will depend how things go. 

The radar cruise control box is a big hurdle for us. Can’t stay behind the top grill, can’t go anywhere else where it would function properly.... probably going to bin it, but will need to see what error codes and CEL’s that generates, then ask Rafi to revise the tune so it works without looking like a Xmas tree! :wallbash::wacko:

43 minutes ago, Ace8800 said:

@Peter P18 what gains are you hoping to get from it and if you dont mind me asking whats the cost involved for this excercise, Sorry if i missed it if it has been mentioned.

Hi,

625hp at the flywheel is the target, cost is around £10k, that’s kit price, shipping, import duty, VAT and labour for the install.

31 minutes ago, Peter P18 said:

Hi,

625hp at the flywheel is the target, cost is around £10k, that’s kit price, shipping, import duty, VAT and labour for the install.

£10k isn't bad at all fitted.  Was expecting near £12-13k.  Will be interesting to see how the rear tyres and traction control cope at this time of year.  

Even in my car, depending on road surface, can still get the TC light to come on at 40mph+.

Is there a way to maintain cruise control without using the active aspect??

Your going to have to dyno it, for our benefit of nothing else!

Marcus